Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine code

Engine code

Well after spending time beating on the SBs' gas tank it finally started. It sat for about a year now. I put a little new gas in it as I still need to replace the pump. Car idled fine and revved OK as well. I didn't take it out on the road yet as I got a code. 0190, reader said it was a fuel rail pressure issue. Is this the fuel pressure sensor or a different issue.

Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Well after spending time beating on the SBs' gas tank it finally started. It sat for about a year now. I put a little new gas in it as I still need to replace the pump. Car idled fine and revved OK as well. I didn't take it out on the road yet as I got a code. 0190, reader said it was a fuel rail pressure issue. Is this the fuel pressure sensor or a different issue.

Thanks for any help.
    Probably got the code because there was no residual pressure in the lines.

I'd clear the code and see if it returns.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Probably got the code because there was no residual pressure in the lines.

I'd clear the code and see if it returns.
    I'll give it a try.

Cleared the code and it didn't come back so that must have been the answer. Thanks Jim.

Took it for a short spin and it ran OK. Brakes are a bit spongy and the right rear caliper is dragging...again. Look into that another day.

Why did you let the car sit undriven for a year?

Quote Originally Posted by martyo View Post
    Why did you let the car sit undriven for a year?
    It failed inspection last June. We hemmed and hawed for a while about the Zack tune. It used to pass with no problems then someone, probably in California, decided on new rules and now it no longer passes. I looked into having the dealer put the OEM tune back in it but wasn't confident in their ability after speaking with them.

I put it, actually both, in storage for the Winter and just periodically start them. The SB started in Mid-Winter no muss, no fuss but when I went to start it in April she no go. I made the mistake of not filling the tank and I think that's what caused the problem. I put 5 gallons of fresh gas in it the other day. Today got my old self down on the ground today and whacked the tank a couple of times. That must have jiggled what ever loose and she started right up w/ the code which once cleared seems to be staying off.

As you may remember we finally bought a tuner from you and if the weather holds I'll help Ms. D put the tune in for inspection. She may as well learn how to do it. God willing, it goes through inspection then we'll put the performance tune in you provided and Bob's your Uncle!

Lesson learned, if your going to park them fill them up with gas.

Actually, I've learned to NOT fill them for extended storage.
    Crap gas today loses it's fire power and just goes bad.
    I leave a 1/4 tank with stabilizer, then either drain the tank before starting, or go straight to the gas tation and fill up with fresh 93 octane.
    sent from my rotary phone using Technicolor

2004 SILVER BIRCH/BLACK PAINT
    DARK CHARCOAL NUDO LEATHER
    #400 of 997 (SOLD)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT (SOLD)

2004 300A MM BLACK
    1 OWNER CAR, NO OPTIONS
    DAILY DRIVER

2013 DAYTONA R/T
    SUPER TRACK PACK
    DAYTONA BLUE PEARL
    #1763 off ~2100
    NOW WITH A 392 & 3.73 posi!

Thanks Mr. Man. It was great to see my SB back on the road last evening, even if only for a short test drive. Now you'll show me how to load the tunes and then stand back....

Next stop--> pass inspection, then --> 4:10's then-->
    2004 Silver Birch

Silver Birch Society

"I hear and I Forget
    I see and I Remember
    I do and I Understand"

Quote Originally Posted by chief455 View Post
    I leave a 1/4 tank with stabilizer, then either drain the tank before starting, or go straight to the gas tation and fill up with fresh 93 octane.
    Same here. I run it down to a 1/4 tank with Sta-Bil in the fall, and add a 5 gal. jerry can of fresh 93 in the spring (or as needed).
    "Moonbeam McSwine"

2003 DBP, fresh off an Iowa corn farm.
    "Pretty much stock, except for the blower."

"Devil Girl"

2004 DTR w/ Light Flint
    Every factory option - Moonroof, all that stuff.

I leave a 1/4 tank with stabilizer, then either drain the tank before starting, or go straight to the gas station and fill up with fresh 93 octane.
    Quote Originally Posted by cat in the hat View Post
    Same here. I run it down to a 1/4 tank with Sta-Bil in the fall, and add a 5 gal. Jerry can of fresh 93 in the spring (or as needed).
    There was discussion here a while back about how to fill or not and someone said by not filling the tank it is more prone to condensate and put water into the tank.

I haven't had any issues with degraded gas in anything I use so I haven't experimented with Stabil.

There was discussion here a while back about how to fill or not and someone said by not filling the tank it is more prone to condensate and put water into the tank.

I haven't had any issues with degraded gas in anything I use so I haven't experimented with Stabil.
    Neither have I, but I do it anyway. I guess it's a belt-and-suspenders thing, maybe because they make such a huge deal out of it for winterizing boats

I can see where you might get more condensation in a less-full tank but that doesn't seem to bother anything either, and it seems unavoidable unless you have gas all the way to the filler neck IMO.
    "Moonbeam McSwine"

2003 DBP, fresh off an Iowa corn farm.
    "Pretty much stock, except for the blower."

"Devil Girl"

2004 DTR w/ Light Flint
    Every factory option - Moonroof, all that stuff.

I have not personally seens this, but if condensation were in my 1/4 tank, after being filled with fresh 93, and driven mildly for a day or two it should be gone.
    I have had sour, vinegar gas after a year of sitting, that won't even light on fire, get's in the entire system and eats seals, deposits in injectors etc.. the great white wintery north....
    do what makes you feel comfortable
    sent from my rotary phone using Technicolor

2004 SILVER BIRCH/BLACK PAINT
    DARK CHARCOAL NUDO LEATHER
    #400 of 997 (SOLD)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT (SOLD)

2004 300A MM BLACK
    1 OWNER CAR, NO OPTIONS
    DAILY DRIVER

2013 DAYTONA R/T
    SUPER TRACK PACK
    DAYTONA BLUE PEARL
    #1763 off ~2100
    NOW WITH A 392 & 3.73 posi!

do what makes you feel comfortable
    I have had gas in my lawnmower go bad after sitting for the fall & winter without Stabil in it. My mower usually starts with one pull (rarely two pulls). If it is not even trying to start on the 3rd pull, I check the plug wire connection. If that is OK, then gas is the next suspect. Combustion = Fuel + Air + Spark. Draining a pint or less of gas is a hell of a lot easier than several gallons in a car. I put Stabil in my MM and make sure that it gets exercised every 2 weeks or so in order to avoid any possible problems.

Issues with condensation really depend a lot on where you live. The problem is more prevalent in high humidity areas. All air contains moisture..... even in the desert. Water will condense out of the air when temperatures drop. This is why your lawn is wet in the morning from the "dew". When it gets a bit colder outside, we call it "frost". The same thing that happens on your grass is happening inside your gas tank. More air (or more empty tank) means the potential for more water to accumulate in the gas. Multiple warm-cool cycles just multiplies the amount of water. Pressurized systems are less susceptible but is at some risk nevertheless.

Water is denser than gas, so it will settle to the bottom of the tank. Generally, that is where the pump pick-up is located. If there is enough water settled in the tank, then you will suck primarily water (or a gas-water mix) when you try to start the car. Water will not burn. Bad gas will not burn well and sometimes not at all. STABIL is a cheap preventative measure against bad gas. Frequent exercise and a full tank during prolonged storage minimizes the water problem.

In a high humidity area where the car won't be used/exercised for a long time, a 3/4 tank is best IMHO if draining the tank and refilling with new in the Spring is not an option.
    Last edited by Bluerauder; 06-30-2015 at 05:00 PM.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerauder View Post
    I have had gas in my lawnmower go bad after sitting for the fall & winter without Stabil in it. My mower usually starts with one pull (rarely two pulls). If it is not even trying to start on the 3rd pull, I check the plug wire connection. If that is OK, then gas is the next suspect. Combustion = Fuel + Air + Spark. Draining a pint or less of gas is a hell of a lot easier than several gallons in a car. I put Stabil in my MM and make sure that it gets exercised every 2 weeks or so in order to avoid any possible problems.

Issues with condensation really depend a lot on where you live. The problem is more prevalent in high humidity areas. All air contains moisture..... even in the desert. Water will condense out of the air when temperatures drop. This is why your lawn is wet in the morning from the "dew". When it gets a bit colder outside, we call it "frost". The same thing that happens on your grass is happening inside your gas tank. More air (or more empty tank) means the potential for more water to accumulate in the gas. Multiple warm-cool cycles just multiplies the amount of water. Pressurized systems are less susceptible but is at some risk nevertheless.

Water is denser than gas, so it will settle to the bottom of the tank. Generally, that is where the pump pick-up is located. If there is enough water settled in the tank, then you will suck primarily water (or a gas-water mix) when you try to start the car. Water will not burn. Bad gas will not burn well and sometimes not at all. STABIL is a cheap preventative measure against bad gas. Frequent exercise and a full tank during prolonged storage minimizes the water problem.

In a high humidity area where the car won't be used/exercised for a long time, a 3/4 tank is best IMHO if draining the tank and refilling with new in the Spring is not an option.
    Thank you Mr. Peabody....... J/K
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Pumps fail with filled or empty tanks. A lot of the time caused by no use/prolonged sitting. Since you can't remove the pump with over a third or so of gas in the tank without taking a ignitable stink bath, I highly suggest you hold off on the whole filling thing.

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information