Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air ride delete?

Quote Originally Posted by EMAS View Post
    I just purchased my 7th Panther and as such I've had all of the different suspensions. Base steel springs in my 93 and 01 GMs, 03 and 05 P71, 92 CV and MM with the HPP air springs and 92 CV with air springs. I far and away prefer the air springs preferably the HPP version but I'll take the standard air spring over either of the steel versions.

I especially like the fact that the ride and handling is not really affected by how much or how little weight is in the car. The handling of the steel spring GM's drops of dramatically when they were loaded up with passengers or junk in the trunk. The P71s are stiffer than I would like when it is lightly loaded, and can get a little skittish on rough roads with just me in it.

I also have to wonder why it is that you keep having problems with the compressor and/or springs. My 92 CV with 200K has all of it is OE components and it works just fine and I've overloaded it many times and it is seriously lowered. My other 92 also never had a single issue in over 200k.
    It just goes to show that you can find winners and lemons in anything.
    My 2003 Marauder with 36k on it needed the Air Compressor replaced the day after I bought it...like all the others that have replaced them , it was corroided from poor drainage..or lack there of.

My dad has a 1997 Crown Vic HPP with 74k on it...at the 50k mark his Air Bags sheet the bed but the Compressor ran like a top. He got an outrageous quote from Ford to fix it while I was working out of state and he Opted for P71 Springs rather than retaining the fun bags. I drove the car last week and can't tell any difference.

My 2000 Crown Vic HPP with 84k has never had a problem in reference to a the Air Ride...at 15 years old , I consider that an accomplishment for the rubberized parts alone.

I am mindful to tell the State Inspectors or Tire Installers to disable the Air Ride in the trunk prior to lifting the car. I've caught a few whom did not know that it can damage that system and stopped them before they did lift it up.

I have 236,000 miles and replaced it once about 4 years ago from a junkyard find.
    "Bye Bye, Johnny B. Goode."

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead350 View Post
    I have 236,000 miles and replaced it once about 4 years ago from a junkyard find.
    Hey you! Stay out of the junkyard! Isn't it Rock 'n Roll Damnation?
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Dom... the way you "are" with cars..... once every 4 years isn't bad.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

So you want to change to steel because you've had to replace the compressor once and the junkyard one that probably already had a lot of miles and years on it when you put it failed. Why not head to the wrecking yard and find another used compressor. It is not that hard to replace and at least at the self serve wrecking yards around here they are only ~$40.

^^^ this. I bought a used one off a member because mine was getting loud. Worked perfect. Never a single issue otherwise. I would never resort to springs!

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Strutmasters.com has conversion kits .

Sent while thinking of new mods for my 96 TC, using Tapatalk.

If you delete the the air springs, would the light (air susp)on the cluster come on???

Righteous Indignation
    03 300A
    4055 of 7838
    4054 of 7093 in Black.
    Born 8/23/02
    Adopted in 1/15
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry24 View Post
    If you delete the the air springs, would the light (air susp)on the cluster come on???
    Yes, but there should be a way to kill the light.....at least there was a way in the older MGM and LTC.

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Air ride delete?

Remove the bulb..

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I got another compressor from a yard and it still will not kick on. Not sure if I got junk or if there is actually an issue with power getting to the unit. I'll play around for a little while, but the fuse that controls other things like backup lights is working.

We will see.

Thanks for the spring into guys.

Diagnosis is your best friend

waiting to be blown
    You can run all your life but not go anywhere
    positive manifold pressure leads to coitus

Bad level sensor was the issue.

I got another compressor from a yard and it still will not kick on. Not sure if I got junk or if there is actually an issue with power getting to the unit. I'll play around for a little while, but the fuse that controls other things like backup lights is working.

We will see.

Thanks for the spring into guys.
    Bad level sensor was the issue.
    Problem Determination is a wonderful thing.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

At least I got the compressor for free. Helped a guy pull a hood and install it on his car at a yard. He paid for my compressor as my payment. Now I have a spare!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information