Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Car and Driver...TL and Marauder

Post Car and Driver...TL and Marauder

I could scream that I just lost all of this and have to type it all again.

OK!

How in the world did Car and Driver get the 4900-5100lb Aviator to 60 in 7.4 and 7.6 seconds in two tests they did? It has the same engine as the Marauder but with 18 less pound feet of twist. Different transmission? Blah, that's not it. And whats that about it being hard to smoke tires in the Marauder? I do it ALL THE TIME in the Marquis, which has 58 less lb-ft or torque and 102 less equestrians motivating it. This bothers me and I think that Car and Driver needs to start esplanin'. How about ya'll? I see what most of you get 1/4 mile wise, but how about those 0-60 runs?

HOWEVER! While I love the Marauder dearly, and I think it has more soul than almost any car on the road today, I believe that it is a little more expensive than it should be for the options it offers, and could use a bit more power from the factory. Almost all of you have done something to get better performance from it, and while even if it was better you'd do it anyways, you hafta admit, it seems a little weak for 34 grand. The 2004 Acura TL (almost the exact same price and targets almost the same group of men) matches or beats the Marauder spacial wise with a few exceptions such as trunk space, wheelbase, ect in aspects of space....(hip room, head room, blah blah blah). The TL has more performance bang for it's buck, has a lot more in the way of creature comforts, has a cheaper destination charge, sucks up less gas, is built a whole lot more nicely, weighs less and offers a 6-speed stick. That may not matter to most of you, but it should, because the Marauder is not viewed as seriously as it should be by the general population of automotive buyers. This is the doom of the Marauder, this is why it isn't selling as well as expected. Ford should be more serious about how badly they want to sell this vehicle. I don't see how this would be a problem to Marauder guys like all of yous, for if Mercury and Ford were expound on the massive amount of potential the Marauder has, you guys have the very real chance of getting an even greater American beauty right from the signature of purchase. I'm only 16, so I'm not sure if I can really be taken seriously, but I really want to know what you all think of this. Thanks a bunch! -James

Sorry if something isn't spelled right, I'm in a hurry and the spell check isn't workin for me at the moment.
    2007 Honda Accord V6. Fit for a father of two. 5% tint all around.

Re: Car and Driver...TL and Marauder

Originally posted by woaface
    I could scream that I just lost all of this and have to type it all again.

OK!

How in the world did Car and Driver get the 4900-5100lb Aviator to 60 in 7.4 and 7.6 seconds in two tests they did?

The 2004 Acura TL (almost the exact same price and targets almost the same group of men) matches or beats ... with a few exceptions such as trunk space, wheelbase, ect in aspects of space....(hip room, head room, blah blah blah).

The TL has mor performance bang for it's buck

This is the doom of the Marauder, this is why it isn't selling as well as expected.

Ford should be more serious about how badly they want to sell this vehicle. I don't see how this would be a problem to Marauder guys like all of yous, for if Mercury and Ford were expound on the massive amount of potential the Marauder has, you guys have the very real chance of getting an even greater American beauty right from the signature of purchase.
    Check the rear end ratio. I'll bet is shorter, in the 4.00's.

Yes, the Acura TL is a similar car, but it ain't built here. We wanted big, V8 - Rear wheel drive monsters. How much modding can you do with an Acura TL as compared to the Marauder after 1 year?

We also knew going in that buying a one-off test platform special limited production car would have disadvantages, but when someone who we just smoked asks "WTF is that?" it makes up for it.

Some have been saying for more than a year now that Ford should have hyped the Marauder more - but do we really want the Marauder to be another "Sunfire" or Focus?

If I want Japanese, I'll go order sushi. No disrespect, just that isn't what I was looking for when I found the Marauder.

If I hadn't read some of your earlier posts Woaface, I'd have taken you for a troll. But as you say, you're 16, so I take that into account.
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

Well, Woa, I guess I have to reply as follows to a few of your points:

1. The Acura TL is aimed at the same buyers as the MM. Totally wrong as far as I'm concerned. I buy American cars, period. Acura could gold plate its cars and give them away and I wouldn't own one. Acuras aren't aimed at buyers like me. I buy full size cars, and Acura isn't even close. I know, I know, nowadays, cars the size of Acuras and Tauruses are considered "full size." I remember the days of real cars when an Acura or Taurus would be at best a mid sized car.

2. Why isn't the MM selling like it should? Is it because it's underpowered, as you say? I think a more realistic reason is that no one has ever heard of the thing. I have not met one person who has ever seen even one advertisement for this car. After the car has been out for going on two years, most people who see my car still say "What is it?" No one can expect a car to sell if the buying public doesn't know that it exists.

You make some good points in your post, but I had to disagree with a couple of the things you said. Yes, I want more power out of my MM, too. That doesn't mean it's underpowered, just that those of us who buy a performance car always want more out of it than the factory puts in.
    2003 MM 300A
    Born June 18, 2002
    Adopted Christmas Eve, 2002
    First Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 81,000 miles
    Second Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 101,000 miles
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    Reinhart/XCal2 Custom Tune
    Reinhart Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Conical Air Filter
    Reinhart Exhaust with 18" Magnaflows
    Silencer Removed
    Bosch Micro Edge Excel Wiper Blades
    Bob White Red Bumper Inserts
    Lone Star Beer in cup holder
    Fellowship of Christian Cowboys
    license plate bracket

God and the soldier we adore, In times of danger, not before.
    The danger gone, the trouble righted, God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Cynicism is the smoke rising from the ashes of burned out dreams.

Lol, thanks Dr Caleb...but if the Marauder isn't enough competition for all of these imports (the TL was developed and is manufactured in America), then don't you think that they might soon be an even greater threat to the livelyhood of the great American automobiles we love? I would absolutly hate to see the Marauder go, but I guess I hafta give it too ya on the Modifications part.

Originally posted by Ross
    That doesn't mean it's underpowered, just that those of us who buy a performance car always want more out of it than the factory puts in.
    I see a LOT of guys putting performance mods into '03 Cobras...you hit the nail on the head Ross.

Yo, Ross, yeah, I don't think that TLs or Tarauses are full-sized either, and I never knew that they were considered such...that's pretty stupid of people to say that they would be, but the TL makes great use of it's interior space and has some bigger spaces here and there. www.edmunds.com Lol well I guess I got my arse schooled! But I guess I did forget to mention that Mercury does need to work on it's advertising department a little bit more. I've known about the Marauder since the 2001 SEMA show, but I don't know anyone except for my sister and her cop friend that know about it either.

Oh, and what the hell is a troll? Some jargon I don't know or what? Damn I hate to keep askin questions. And I hope no one thinks I'm a trader or part of a sleeper cell within the site. I really do love the Marauder. There's no question as to whether I'd take a TL over a Marauder...it wouldn't happen, I'm just concerned about the future of the car I guess. -Me
    Last edited by woaface; 11-17-2003 at 04:27 PM.

then don't you think that they might soon be an even greater threat to the livelyhood of the great American automobiles we love?
    Yes, but not for the reasons you list. Poor quality. Skimping where they shouldn't. Those will be why Toyota will be the #2 automaker next year, and Ford will be #3, Dailmer Chrysler #4.

Ask anyone about Paint on their Black MM's. Not the place that should be skimped on.

Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Wilwood front brakes.

Mercury really needs to advertise the Marauder... everyone who sees mine just thinks it is another Grand Marquis.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    5% police "mob" tint
    K&N Equipment
    Pro Guard rear skid plate
    more to come
    1969 Dodge A-100 truck
    Tricked out 360 with every over-priced performance part for a MOPAR on it.
    1970 Plymouth Superbird
    I would have money in my savings account now if I hadn't bought this car.........
    2008 Lincoln Navigator
    K&N Equipment and waiting for full length headers for it

Oh, and what the hell is a troll?
    Troll - kind of like fishing. You bait a hook, toss it in the water, see what bites.

Only on message boards, like MM.net, we get ricers or wannabes that log on and try to get us angry and defend our Marauders. They bait the hook, we bite.

And don't quit asking questions! Questions are good! If ya dont ask 'em, ya dont lern nothin

Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Wilwood front brakes.

Haha, thanks. Ok, off to take the Marquis for a breather!

One more response to the whole Acura/Marauder deal to think about, get on the freeway, pass a big scary truck at 85 or so, while along side, let go with one hand, then say," Thank you Ford, I love 2+ tons of steel!"
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

Aviator does well 0-60 because of it's 5 speed auto tranny, it's alot lower geared than marauder's.

Blog Entries
    A family member owns an Acura Tl and it is one of the best buys on the market. I have borrowed it on many an occasion. I have also owned several SHO's.

You cannot compare the Acura TL to the Marauder. The Marauder is right wheel drive and a much larger car.

The SHO and Acura TL are very comparable. One could make the same argument about why pay the extra for an Acura TL when you can get a comparable car for much less than the Acura Tl in a Taurus SEL?

Also the actual selling price of the MArauder is over $7K less than the Acura TL.

For $7k you can almost put on a supercharger, then you cannot compare them period!
    Last edited by sailsmen; 11-17-2003 at 06:25 PM.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

The NEW 2004 Acura TL (from SEMA)...
    wake me up when you can make the argument that this thing looks as good as my Marauder cruising down the road...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information