Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuild or go Cobra swap?

Rebuild or go Cobra swap?

So I'm having a small tick in the engine (148k) nothing major just probably a bearing or lifter/follower issue, most likely bearing. So the deal at first was fix the knock, but then I started thinking the engine is going to be torn apart why not rebuild it? Great shop here in San Antonio that goes by Kotzer Racing said they will completely rebuild the engine and even make it run better then factory (raising the compression, port and polish) for around $4,000 max (again what he called "crazy price" which I'm guessing not a regural rebuild). What do you guys think the range in price should be on a rebuild? Going to do this sometime by the end of this year.

looked into having my engine rebuilt about a year ago, forged pistons,crank,.20over was $4100.That was me doing removal and install.
    better to do a burn-out than fade away

Quote Originally Posted by BadMan View Post
    So I'm having a small tick in the engine (148k) nothing major just probably a bearing or lifter/follower issue, most likely bearing. So the deal at first was fix the knock, but then I started thinking the engine is going to be torn apart why not rebuild it? Great shop here in San Antonio that goes by Kotzer Racing said they will completely rebuild the engine and even make it run better then factory (raising the compression, port and polish) for around $4,000 max (again what he called "crazy price" which I'm guessing not a regural rebuild). What do you guys think the range in price should be on a rebuild? Going to do this sometime by the end of this year.
    . 4k might get your motor built but I would add an easy grand to it for the little things your not focused on ; you might want to add a cooling mod, new water pump, hoses, fluids powdercoating, additional gaskets, t-stat, boil out the radiator, tools, bolts&nuts, motor mounts, plugs, coils, etc etc etc

Sent from my Tapatalk using Morris Code

Forged lower someday for me.

I would go with a Ford crate motor, looking at a 5.0 myself.
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by BadMan View Post
    What do you guys think the range in price should be on a rebuild?
    It would all depend on the parts used for the rebuild, not everything i equal, nor equal in price, 4k to 20k, depends on the application.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Forge bottom/cobra swap. For a coin 5.0 swap
    03 300a. black #1695 of 7839 born 6/20/02.
    Adopted 3/31/11. Sold

03 300a black #1199
    TERMINATOR SWAP
    430rwhp. Done by mo's

Yeah he was telling me depending on what he uses again for example the crank if still good etc. but the main stuff would all be brand new and better then stock. And Jeff you make a very good point, most definitely going to add the cooling mod. Might sound crazy but I don't really want to upgrade to a 5.0 I want to keep the 4.6 in there then later add some wreeeeeee to it lol wouldn't mind looking into a terminator swap but I really want to rebuild this one so I know the true condition of the car (don't know if that makes the best sense). Why not start new right...

I'm having mine rebuilt for $3000. All new parts, machining block n heads, and removing n installing the engine. I thought about upgrading the cams, but that would add around a grand more to da final cost.
    Buying things I don't need, with money I don't have, to impress people I don't know!!!
    Production #1489 of 3213/#516 of 997

Quote Originally Posted by champ1173 View Post
    I'm having mine rebuilt for $3000. All new parts, machining block n heads, and removing n installing the engine. I thought about upgrading the cams, but that would add around a grand more to da final cost.
    Are these going to be forged parts or at stock specs??

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdogjim View Post
    I would go with a Ford crate motor, looking at a 5.0 myself.
    Dollar /per Pound best deal in the Crate !!! Ford Factory deal
    Roger that

Assembled 8/25/03. In service 11/5/03.[Safford Lincoln Mercury] . Returned from Service to Dundalk Lincoln Mercury 7/12/11 Adopted and reassigned to Street Duty 7/29/11 .at Car Center [Waldorf Ford] /Waldorf MD. # 27 of 997 silver burch #103 of 3214 Sold Oct 17, 2015. Replaced with 2016 XLT Explorer with 3:66 gear 4WD [ interceptor package] In addition 2015 -V6 Mustang added to the corral April 17,2015 with Roush upgrades .February 2018 upgraded to Explorer Sport , Ford blue ,intake upgrade, intake mod, Unleashed super tune, Governor removed. 1969 Mark III ,Forest Green still in fleet. Carlisle favorite .

Quote Originally Posted by jwibbity View Post
    Are these going to be forged parts or at stock specs??
    Stock specs from my understanding. Da guy said it would only take him 2 weeks, but I don't even know if he's pulled it yet! I'm gonna check it out this weekend, take some pics, and maybe grab da cam covers to paint.
    Buying things I don't need, with money I don't have, to impress people I don't know!!!
    Production #1489 of 3213/#516 of 997

$3000 not bad. Idk if the guy meant with forged parts though I think he did. I'm going to call him soon to get more details on to what he plans on doing and price. I got to look into how much that cooling mod cost.
    Last edited by BadMan; 04-17-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by champ1173 View Post
    Stock specs from my understanding. Da guy said it would only take him 2 weeks, but I don't even know if he's pulled it yet! I'm gonna check it out this weekend, take some pics, and maybe grab da cam covers to paint.
    If your having it rebuilt, why not go with forged internals? Doesnt make sense not to, unless it's just going to forever be the standard grocery getter. If he hasnt started yet, tell him you want forged parts, otherwise if you ever want to make high power safely, youll be paying again to have forged parts put in it. Just my. 02.
    Last edited by whitey; 04-17-2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: mizspelld

Yeah true. Hopefully that price includes forged stuff cause $4000 for standard crap is way pricy in my opinion. But I will most definitely prefer forged since I want to put a blower on him in the future 8)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information