Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Elio to replace Marauder?

Quote Originally Posted by mrjones View Post
    I think that's the point of designing cars to be crashworthy. Since the ball didn't break, the hamster absorbed all the energy. Well-designed small cars crush in a controlled way to absorb the energy and not transfer it all to the passengers. Poor hamster. He deserved better.
    there is no where for a smart car to crush for example. when hit by a large vehicle it will tumble, fly, whatever...hence my hamster analogy.

I guess if you enjoy lonely rides and skinny jeans the elio would be the perfect car... I prefer ball room and room for B**ches.

1983 Hurst / Olds 2016 OCA Nationals Best in Class winner
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    1970 Buick GS Stage 1
    2003 300A Car #2053
    14.6941 e/t @ 97.53 mph w/ JLT intake & MartyO tune

The Elio is right for me because of planned usage, IE: local shopping, banking, eating out and so forth. 100% of my daily business is within eight miles of home with posted 25-45 mph speed limits. So the gas mileage specification of 50 MPG city is a major selling point.
    I live in a small city not more than nine miles across at it's widest point. The freeways of LA may not be the place for an Elio.

Secondly, the initial investment of $6800, with little to no financing, lower insurance bill and regular gasoline pricing with unlimited mileage vs battery power cars limited range are also major selling points. I am anticipating little depreciation unlike traditional cars.

The cost of ownership should be easy on my wallet since I live on a fixed income and social security.

88CuttyClassic makes a good point of crash survivability but that's not the pond I'm swimming in.

I think the ads claiming the Elio can go 100 MPH are not realistic. It's a commuter vehicle and should be marketed as such. It's not a vehicle that should see much freeway miles or time, IMO.

Look around, the vast majority of vehicles driving around town have only one occupant. The HOV lanes are nearly empty, always.

It shouldn't have to take a two-three ton car, SUV or a four ton truck to move a 120 lb woman around town to buy a 20 ounce dress.

The planet will thank me.
    Last edited by Pat; 04-16-2014 at 10:50 PM.

So who's going to start Elio.net?

Sent from my toaster using tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 88CuttyClassic View Post

I guess if you enjoy lonely rides and skinny jeans the elio would be the perfect car... I prefer ball room and room for B**ches.
    Lol, theres a back seat though, perfect size for dogs. In all honesty, its not that small, but ill let the first set of cars go....let them run around for a year or so and let elio fix the real world problems that might accrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    The Elio is right for me because of planned usage, IE: local shopping, banking, eating out and so forth. 100% of my daily business is within eight miles of home with posted 25-45 mph speed limits. So the gas mileage specification of 50 MPG city is a major selling point.
    I live in a small city not more than nine miles across at it's widest point. The freeways of LA may not be the place for an Elio.

Secondly, the initial investment of $6800, with little to no financing, lower insurance bill and regular gasoline pricing with unlimited mileage vs battery power cars limited range are also major selling points. I am anticipating little depreciation unlike traditional cars.

The cost of ownership should be easy on my wallet since I live on a fixed income and social security.

88CuttyClassic makes a good point of crash survivability but that's not the pond I'm swimming in.

I think the ads claiming the Elio can go 100 MPH are not realistic. It's a commuter vehicle and should be marketed as such. It's not a vehicle that should see much freeway miles or time, IMO.

Look around, the vast majority of vehicles driving around town have only one occupant. The HOV lanes are nearly empty, always.

It shouldn't have to take a two-three ton car, SUV or a four ton truck to move a 120 lb woman around town to buy a 20 ounce dress.

The planet will thank me.

All valid points!!

BTW it will do the 100 mph target...

My fingers are crossed the turbo variant gets approved!
    I have 5 Marauders...

ask LJI372 about that HEHEHE

Turbo Variant????? That option quite possibly invalidates all I said before. It will be a missile that travels too fast for my little olde sky. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Turbo Variant????? That option quite possibly invalidates all I said before. It will be a missile that travels too fast for my little olde sky. LOL
    There was significant response to the question... so its a topic for future model years. Obviously they wouldn't be below the $10k mark I would not think though at that point.
    I have 5 Marauders...

ask LJI372 about that HEHEHE

My wife, Patricia, is smitten by the Elio and tried to order/reserve one. But the site said only one per household. Will have to figure out another way.

I've claimed "Paddy's Wagon" as my moniker.

The Generation 3 is really cool looking.

I like it too, Pat. I'll be watching it. Very cool looking, would be good for commuting to/from work.
    2003 300B
    VIN: 677166, #6738 of 7839
    built: 2/13/03
    wrty start: 5/28/03
    69,810 miles @ adoption from Marauder57 02/21/07
    84,197 on 02/21/08
    95,776 on 02/21/09
    109,301 on 02/21/10
    121,447 on 02/21/11
    125,925 on 02/26/12
    130,375 on 01/01/13
    134,831 on 2/4/14
    149,441 on 2/24/18
    Dark Blue Pearl, #128 of 327

Inherited mods: 4.10's, 180 'stat, Addco Rear Sway Bar, Ceramic-coated Cobra Manifolds, DR's X-Pipe kit w/hi-flow cats, KVR X-Drilled Brake Rotors (rear), PI 3000 TC, DR's Tranny Upgrade 1.5, DR's Rear Engine Cooling Mod, Metal Matrix Drive Shaft, Zack-Mack Rear U&L Control Arms.

My mods: aluminum lower grill screen, tranny cooler, DR's NoIC Novi SL 1200 S/C kit self-installed 8/11-8/14/08, Zack's tranny tune, dyno tuned by Justin Starkey @ VMP Tuning: 447 RWHP/386 RWTQ. DDM 5000k HIDs, KB BAP w/upgraded wiring, RacerX modded FPDM, front springs cut 1.25 coils

Maybe I need to take a closer look at one of these. Especially since 87 has gone up $0.45 here in the past two months.
    2004 DTR Marauder, Built 26 February 2004, Inservice: 02 July 2004 Retired from DD 17 July 2008. Survived the cut, 28 April 2012. Back as a DD as of 18 November 2012.

Many of us are trying to conserve mileage on our ten year old Marauders, hoping to have them last another ten. The Elio can be an "AND" vehicle. Marauder and an Elio.

There are major financial issues to overcome before or if production begins. Hopefully investors will come forth. It would be a set back to see this neat autocycle die on the vine. What I fear is that the American made model will be supplanted by a Chinese model and sold in Asia by the thousands.

The three cylinder motor by IAV is OBDII controlled and can be retuned to it's HP potential. It is classified as a motorcycle at this point in time. A turbo is a good fit for the Elio if more power is your pleasure.

A portion of the GM truck assembly plant in Shreveport is available to Elio to lease.
    I previously reported Elio bought the whole plant. Nope, Caddo Parish commission bought the property and has a California company to manage it.

Regardless, I need to conserve miles on my Marauder but I don't want the initial expense of a small car, it's upkeep, or the higher cost of insurance vis a vis a motorcycle. The Elio with it's $6800 price tag is perfect.

Scratch the idea that im waiting around a year to get one, i plan on getting one as soon as they come out. Since its classified as a motorcycle, does this mean you will need a motorcycle license to drive it? I hope not, otherwise i need to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    Scratch the idea that im waiting around a year to get one, i plan on getting one as soon as they come out. Since its classified as a motorcycle, does this mean you will need a motorcycle license to drive it? I hope not, otherwise i need to get one.
    Can't wait for James to get a test vehicle
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

im actually considering buying one of these, i have a 40 mile commute to work which means i fill up the marauder about once a week including driving around on the weekends.

with gas at right at about 4.00 for premium thats about 4g's(19gallons) a year on gas but realistically since i sometime drive my wife's sonota probably about 2500-3000 a year on gas for the marauder

at 3.60 average for 87 octane and the 49/84 mpg rating(with most of my commute being 55mph+) ill say probably about 60 mpg, with an 8 gallon tank thats about 480 miles per fill up at 40 miles a day would last me about 12 work days so once ever 2.5 weeks....

so at 30 bucks to fill up about every 2-2.5 weeks is about 650-750 bucks a year on gas, thats alot of money to save on just gas(1900) but the increased insurance plus whatever financing option i choose might have me in the same financial situation until the elio is paid off

Quote Originally Posted by jwibbity View Post
    im actually considering buying one of these, i have a 40 mile commute to work which means i fill up the marauder about once a week including driving around on the weekends.

with gas at right at about 4.00 for premium thats about 4g's(19gallons) a year on gas but realistically since i sometime drive my wife's sonota probably about 2500-3000 a year on gas for the marauder

at 3.60 average for 87 octane and the 49/84 mpg rating(with most of my commute being 55mph+) ill say probably about 60 mpg, with an 8 gallon tank thats about 480 miles per fill up at 40 miles a day would last me about 12 work days so once ever 2.5 weeks....

so at 30 bucks to fill up about every 2-2.5 weeks is about 650-750 bucks a year on gas, thats alot of money to save on just gas(1900) but the increased insurance plus whatever financing option i choose might have me in the same financial situation until the elio is paid off
    Doesn't benefit money cover gas
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information