Thread: Bling for my Blackbird

Bling for my Blackbird

I put one of the metal Mercury God Heads on the grill of my MM (image link below). I will take some better pictures of it after I get the scratches cleaned up on the hood. I ordered the Marauder black touch up paint and clear coat to see if I can fix it that way. Anybody who has used touch up clear coat and paint - I could use pointers on the most effective way to apply it to the scratches.

I also got the Godhead emblem for the trunk but the emblem is flat and the Mercury waterfall on the trunk is not flat. If anybody has replaced the one on the trunk I am looking for some pointers on how to remove and replace with one for the trunk let me know. Thx, Leo

http://img688.imageshack.us/i/img5095.jpg/

My 2003 300A MM blackbird with new black Drag wheels
    Born at the St. Thomas Ontario plant in Canada
    on July 25th, 2002 - 2787 of 7839
    My garage with more pics

Did you buy them from Car motorsports?

The 3 that he sends out has a flat one for the front grill a curved one for the trunk and then the small one for the stearing wheel.

Bought Her for my 40th B Day in August of 2004 @ Crest Lincoln Mercury
    Assembled 12/17/2003
    #1183 of a build of 3214
    and is #379 of 1237

Link to Mod's and car:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...o=view&id=8832

Link to Pictures of the Kids/Animals, Cars I have built or a hand in building as well as cars and trucks I have owned.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...php?albumid=16

Slip some fishing line behind the emblem and pull down while pulling back and forth on the line. It'll saw through the adhesive and plastic pins that hold it on. As far as fitment of the new badge, you can try and bend it slightly to contour it to the trunk's surface as long as it's not made of cheap pot metal.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Paint correction is not for everyone. To do it right requires some serious smarts with decent tools.

This is how I go about deep scratchs when highly visible.

1. Fill scratch with touch up paint (small bottles with brush are found at any FLAPS), or in my case I have real touch up paint from doing my old hood.

2. Reapeat filling scratch carefully as many times as it takes to fill entirely.

3. Wetsand only the fill section with 800 grit, then 1200.

4. Machine buff CAREFULLY around any edges, fast movement, never stopping in any areas with a fine compound ( I think I normally use Mequiars 2.0, but can't remember without looking) using a foam pad at around half speed.

5. Switch to a new foam pad and repeat with Mequiars wax paint cleaner.

6. Move on to a polish of choice.

If you properly execute this, you will never see the scratchs again. Good luck.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Paint correction is not for everyone. To do it right requires some serious smarts with decent tools.

This is how I go about deep scratchs when highly visible.

1. Fill scratch with touch up paint (small bottles with brush are found at any FLAPS), or in my case I have real touch up paint from doing my old hood.

2. Reapeat filling scratch carefully as many times as it takes to fill entirely.

3. Wetsand only the fill section with 800 grit, then 1200.

4. Machine buff CAREFULLY around any edges, fast movement, never stopping in any areas with a fine compound ( I think I normally use Mequiars 2.0, but can't remember without looking) using a foam pad at around half speed.

5. Switch to a new foam pad and repeat with Mequiars wax paint cleaner.

6. Move on to a polish of choice.

If you properly execute this, you will never see the scratchs again. Good luck.
    Nice write up Bob. I wish I had the patience to do this since the front of my car looks like it was hit by an automatic BB gun. Rock chips every where and a small crack by my license plate due to my wife bumping the wall in the garage. I might just call the insurance about the crack from my wife and try to get the whole front fixed.

Great quotes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    you were too busy getting your ass kicked by cool people because you suck and are a worthless excuse for a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    I'm going to punch you so hard between the legs your going to need a GYNA BO to fix it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Eat poo poo and die heathen.

Thread Information