Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LCMs - Other relays

FORD's vendor may have gone with the same relays but better metal on the contacts Jim......my replacement has lasted 9 years without a glitch!!

BTW......my turn signals froze on the original one...everything else worked!!
    No Marauder

Ford issued a TSB finally and will replace in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by cw1115 View Post
    I had no fog lights or running/tail lights the other day. Started working again the next day after the car sat overnight. I already upgraded the headlight relay. I have an appointment next week to have the LCM replaced under the recall.

So ford put out a recall on the LCMs?

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    As soon as they come off back order and I get mine I'll verify.

I bet there is no change to the new LCM. The reason I say this is it would cost alot of money for Ford to re-engineer the part. Since alot of these cars will be over the 250K mileage limit in the next 4-8 years, Ford is banking on the majority of the LCMs will last at least that long.

I believe the length of time you use the headlights is directly related to how the relay lasts.

What about the fog lights. If you use them all the time do you think that will also cut down on how long the relay lasts???

Got our new recall LCM put in today. I wanted the old one to send to FBM but they said recall parts go back to Ford for verification of the problem. My guess is they are worth .50cents as scrap and Ford is recouping some dough.

As for the relays crapping out based on usage I'm not so sure Ms.D always drives with the low beams on during the day and ours was original (04) DD for first 7-8 years. Started to go when the car was only used sparingly. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    As soon as they come off back order and I get mine I'll verify.

I bet there is no change to the new LCM. The reason I say this is it would cost alot of money for Ford to re-engineer the part. Since alot of these cars will be over the 250K mileage limit in the next 4-8 years, Ford is banking on the majority of the LCMs will last at least that long.

I believe the length of time you use the headlights is directly related to how the relay lasts.
    It would not cost a lot of money to specify a new better relay that fit in the same footprint, like the ones you found. Not saying that they did, just that it wouldn't cost a lot to make that change. Now if changes were required to the circuit board that would cost a bit of money but again not that much.

Relays are rated in cycles, many are rated for different numbers of cycles depending on how much amperage they are asked to switch.

I have a few LCM's that are repaired..... new external heavy duty relay and new higher rated relays (3) inside. Ready for immediate shipment for you to swap out.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Feedback - I just wanted to post my satisfaction with fastblackmercs upgraded LCM. I bought one from him and he sent it out very quick. It arrived in perfect shape and included step by step instructions. I had it installed today (can't do it myself, but that's another issue...). It works great. The modifications he made look like it came from the factory. Very nice work. Highly recommended. Thanks, Jim.
    Chip Auten
    Rice. It's what's for dinner...

04 Marauder, black, supercharged
    03 Mustang Cobra convertible, sonic blue, supercharged by Ford
    95 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, 351, green/tan
    85 Saleen Mustang, black

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor58 View Post
    Feedback - I just wanted to post my satisfaction with fastblackmercs upgraded LCM. I bought one from him and he sent it out very quick. It arrived in perfect shape and included step by step instructions. I had it installed today (can't do it myself, but that's another issue...). It works great. The modifications he made look like it came from the factory. Very nice work. Highly recommended. Thanks, Jim.
    Chip Auten
    Glad I could help a fellow Marauder owner!
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Changing out the old relays at the LMC for new with higher rating would there be a voltage increase at the lights ? Has anyone ever tested before and after ?
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by burt ragio View Post
    Changing out the old relays at the LMC for new with higher rating would there be a voltage increase at the lights ? Has anyone ever tested before and after ?
    I haven't tested that but one member that has one on my upgraded LCM's reported that his headlights were brighter and was getting "flashed" by oncoming drivers.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Pictures - Repaired LCM

Just realized I never posted pictures of the LCM's that I repair. In addition to the external heavy duty headlight relay the other three relays (internally) are upgraded from 10amp to 15amp units.

At least it doesn't look like a second grader did the work...

Bottom

Installed
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

I have now sourced 20A relays, instead of the 15A relays, to replace the three internal relays.

If you have one of my repaired LCMs and you are experiencing foglight problems, I'll replace the three internal replays for the cost of the relays + return shipping. Probably around $10.00.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

That sounds like a nice upgrade, especially as they are the same footprint as the originals. When my LCM went out I just replaced all the relays with the same part. It still works 5 years later, but who knows what the ultimate life will be. Maybe the relay mfg did a better job on the newer parts?

One thing for sure, if it croaks again it will go to Fastblackmerc for new relays.

Edit: have you considered the beefier internal relays might be adequate for the headlights now? It would be more compact.
    Last edited by lifespeed; 12-07-2015 at 11:07 AM.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
    That sounds like a nice upgrade, especially as they are the same footprint as the originals. When my LCM went out I just replaced all the relays with the same part. It still works 5 years later, but who knows what the ultimate life will be. Maybe the relay mfg did a better job on the newer parts?

One thing for sure, if it croaks again it will go to Fastblackmerc for new relays.

Edit: have you considered the beefier internal relays might be adequate for the headlights now? It would be more compact.
    If I could get 30 or 40A relays I'd keep everything internal. Right now I believe the higher amperage external relay is the way to go.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information