Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should a Restocking fee be charged?

Should a Restocking fee be charged?

If you were to buy a brand new item from somewhere, and they shipped you the totally wrong part, would you expect them to charge you a restocking fee when you returned it? How about some/all the shipping fees?
    Thanks all,
    Jon

Um. NO. They shipped you the wrong part, through no fault of yours, and they expect you to pay a restocking fee? That's absurd. I can see them wanting you to pay to ship it back, though IMO that's still something they should cover, and a bit of argument should get you out of that too. You're already having to wait until they ship you the right part--your inconvenience should not be compounded with BS restocking and shipping fees.

Only if you ordered the wrong part they shipped you( or gave bad information when specifying). If it's on them, I know of no one who would charge you. Or if you suddenly decide "I don't want this, take it back."
    Sometimes that results in a good sale for others though.... eh Z?
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

Some companies do it. It sucks. I ordered 1 mm oversize valves from MMR, they arrived and were only 0.5 mm oversize, not to advertised specs. I sent them back and had to argue with them for months to get a refund, and I had to pay shipping both ways along with the restocking fee.

MMR=Modular Mustang Racing=BAD Business, avoid them.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Restocking thieves!

Charging restocking fees on items that are not custom orders and are in their original unopened packaging, is bad business and those who practice it are the lowest form of pond scum. No, even lower than pond scum, they are lower than whale *****! Um, I hope this portrays my feelings about restocking fees and those business owners/management who practice this form of thievery.
    Just another clown on a bike...

As good as any man, better than none.

Former owner of a highly modified and very fast Marauder.

"You CAN fit a square peg into a round hole, all you need is a big enough hammer." -Original

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseheadbob View Post
    Charging restocking fees on items that are not custom orders and are in their original unopened packaging, is bad business and those who practice it are the lowest form of pond scum. No, even lower than pond scum, they are lower than whale *****! Um, I hope this portrays my feelings about restocking fees and those business owners/management who practice this form of thievery.
    HAHA!!!

Well, tell us how you REALLY feel!!!

KillJoy

You gotta understand something. When a stocking part is "sold" the item is usually automatically re-ordered by the supplier/vendor. This is done "on the arm" usually, so an interest cost is incurred. When you return the item, not only does the part come back, now there are two, so they are paying a cost to have extra parts on the shelf, money that can be used for other stock.
    Then the manufacturer or distributer may also charge a restock fee to the supplier vendor to return the part.
    Now if they have this policy, it should be posted. If it is and you still go ahead and buy and return... it was you're call.
    In the parts world there are actually customers who will order, buy and look at something and then return it because the simply "don't want it" when actually the decided they did not like it or got a better deal after the fact. Look how many places have "price match" policies 30-60 days after the sale. Why? To avoid the over stock situation and the costs involved. Not to mention the hassles of crediting cash.
    Smart shopping avoids this.
    I have also avoided this by requesting store credit to use later.
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

Rich, you have some good thoughts here. My biggest beef with companies who have restocking fees is that they do not want to, or refuse to acknowledge that there are "costs" associated with running a business. You cannot have it all one way. If one of my customers calls and asks if they can return a $5,500 drum of chocolate concentrate, I tell them "no problem". I value my customers and sometimes they make mistakes. If that customer does not take the product at a later time, and I cannot sell it within its shelf life date, down the drain it goes. That is a cost of doing business. So what if a business has to sit on two of something? It's not going to break the bank, or throw their balance sheet into the red. I think I better take a break before I say something I may have to edit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Long View Post
    You gotta understand something. When a stocking part is "sold" the item is usually automatically re-ordered by the supplier/vendor. This is done "on the arm" usually, so an interest cost is incurred. When you return the item, not only does the part come back, now there are two, so they are paying a cost to have extra parts on the shelf, money that can be used for other stock.
    Then the manufacturer or distributer may also charge a restock fee to the supplier vendor to return the part.
    Now if they have this policy, it should be posted. If it is and you still go ahead and buy and return... it was you're call.
    In the parts world there are actually customers who will order, buy and look at something and then return it because the simply "don't want it" when actually the decided they did not like it or got a better deal after the fact. Look how many places have "price match" policies 30-60 days after the sale. Why? To avoid the over stock situation and the costs involved. Not to mention the hassles of crediting cash.
    Smart shopping avoids this.
    I have also avoided this by requesting store credit to use later.
    Just another clown on a bike...

As good as any man, better than none.

Former owner of a highly modified and very fast Marauder.

"You CAN fit a square peg into a round hole, all you need is a big enough hammer." -Original

Rich....

I think this thread was in regards to being sent the WRONG ITEM (ie - something you did not order). It would be BS to have to pay to ship it back, and pay a restocking fee, for something you never ordered.

What a scam that would be.....

KillJoy

Quote Originally Posted by KillJoy View Post
    Rich....

I think this thread was in regards to being sent the WRONG ITEM (ie - something you did not order). It would be BS to have to pay to ship it back, and pay a restocking fee, for something you never ordered.

What a scam that would be.....

KillJoy
    Yep...see post #3.

Bob... I do the same for my clients at least along my line of business... I don't do chocolate.
    But it also depends on the client!
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    If you were sent the entirely wrong part, and it is entirely their fault, there should be no restocking fee and they should send a call tag or give credit for return shipping.

It doesn't matter what their fine print says, there is always someone who can override "policy"
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

I never ordered the wrong part, and my inital email was extremely clear in stating what I wanted. When they finally sent back a partial payment, it came back as NSF from the bank and cost me more money (as well as going on my credit history.) This has been going on for far too long and needs to be dealt with in a business-like and professional manner, which this company is not treating as such.
    I have passed on a complaint to the BBB, and will see what they say. I have already gotten some advice in the past from them on this matter. I will get a paralegal or lawyer if neseccary as this person/business needs to realize that although the amount isn't alot, principle and good business practice/ethics are essential in dealing with anyone. Costs can be reclaimed, and I know I have the facts right.
    More to come I'm sure...
    Thanks all for your input and opinions on this

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    I never ordered the wrong part, and my inital email was extremely clear in stating what I wanted. When they finally sent back a partial payment, it came back as NSF from the bank and cost me more money (as well as going on my credit history.) This has been going on for far too long and needs to be dealt with in a business-like and professional manner, which this company is not treating as such.
    I have passed on a complaint to the BBB, and will see what they say. I have already gotten some advice in the past from them on this matter. I will get a paralegal or lawyer if neseccary as this person/business needs to realize that although the amount isn't alot, principle and good business practice/ethics are essential in dealing with anyone. Costs can be reclaimed, and I know I have the facts right.
    More to come I'm sure...
    What was the product?

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    More to come I'm sure...

Two posts, to complain about something. Is it even Marauder related? Are you just here to try and stir the pot? We really don't need any more troublemakers here.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Quote Originally Posted by FordNut View Post
    Two posts, to complain about something. Is it even Marauder related? Are you just here to try and stir the pot? We really don't need any more troublemakers here.
    I was just thinking the same thing, Brian.

Icarus - public opinion in a case like this doesn't really matter here and dealing with any business issue should be dealt with directly and not played out on our website. You do what you have to do, but not here. Always remember there are two sides to a story.
    MOK

|Administrator, MM.Net | International Director of Membership|

--------------------------

I don't brake for curves!

The eyes may be the doorway to the soul,

but the voice is the chariot to the heavens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information