Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear airbags Vs springs?

rear airbags Vs springs?

I was wondering about swapping my rear airbags for a spring kit. My question is a little input on the pro's and con's of this. I know this will effect my ARC and all but I'm more curious now that I've seen the Sean Hyland Kit and was wondering how this would be coupled with a set of performance shocks. I'm not a big fan of KYB but they seem to be my only option without going the Naake route. I just feel that the setup is expensive , and I have never enjoyed the ride from coilovers. This is my daily driver right now so comfort is nearly as important as handling. I plan on adding the front and rear sway bars soon so I know this will help to stiffen up everything.
    Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar9150 View Post
    I was wondering about swapping my rear airbags for a spring kit. My question is a little input on the pro's and con's of this. I know this will effect my ARC and all but I'm more curious now that I've seen the Sean Hyland Kit and was wondering how this would be coupled with a set of performance shocks. I'm not a big fan of KYB but they seem to be my only option without going the Naake route. I just feel that the setup is expensive , and I have never enjoyed the ride from coilovers. This is my daily driver right now so comfort is nearly as important as handling. I plan on adding the front and rear sway bars soon so I know this will help to stiffen up everything.
    Thanks for the help.
    Most owners that have gone the coilover route have been very happy with the results.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Sean Hyland offers a rear spring kit? how different is it from Police Interceptor rear springs, or is he just repackaging them?
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Not sure if they are his own set or repackaged. The web site says that they lower the car 30mm in the front and back. I couldn't find any Marauder parts off of his main page but if you copy and paste this link onto your web browser it will take you the page. www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/marauder.shtml
    I haven't called or emailed anyone over at SHM to get any info on the set yet but I may go w/just the front spring kit. Still unsure though because Dennis Reinhart doesn't recommend lowering the car at all because it takes it out of alignment spec. It would be interesting to see a comparision of the SHM springs vs the Eibach kit vs the stock and see how ride quality is. I still have to mull this over since I would like to lower the car but I don't want to ruin my ride or eat up tires at a faster rate than my foot already makes me now.

Do Not put in the Eibachs.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Quote Originally Posted by cougar9150 View Post
    Not sure if they are his own set or repackaged. The web site says that they lower the car 30mm in the front and back. I couldn't find any Marauder parts off of his main page but if you copy and paste this link onto your web browser it will take you the page. www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/marauder.shtml
    I haven't called or emailed anyone over at SHM to get any info on the set yet but I may go w/just the front spring kit. Still unsure though because Dennis Reinhart doesn't recommend lowering the car at all because it takes it out of alignment spec. It would be interesting to see a comparision of the SHM springs vs the Eibach kit vs the stock and see how ride quality is. I still have to mull this over since I would like to lower the car but I don't want to ruin my ride or eat up tires at a faster rate than my foot already makes me now.
    Ummm...if it takes the car out of alignment spec, just adjust accordingly! Life with mods is not always a "plug and play" experience. One inch isn't going to make such a difference that the variables in adjustment can't adjust for. We had armoured P71s in our DPS (Dignitary Protection Service) that did just fine with altered specs. It's just a matter of some work, and you can believe that the were "lowered", and not always by design. I have a Dennis Reinhart chip in my old take-home P71, but I'd consider talking to a few suspension folks before making a final desicion based on one source. Any speed shop that does road racers' work would be one to call.
    I've heard alot of negative (and even a few positive) remarks about Eibachs, but have never experienced them firsthand, so I can't comment on them. Same with Naake, though I do plan on getting the front coil overs.

If my understanding is correct (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)...so long as both ends are adjusted to equal proportions, only length of travel for the dampeners is affected. Ackerman geometry and all else remains the same with the exception of bumpsteer, and if you're getting toe-in changes due to bumpsteer, you've got bigger problems that need to be looked at outside of adjusting alignment specs. The MM isn't designed to carve corners like a Miata on a tight, short autocross circut. Be realistic in your expectations, and you'll find that the MM can do much more than it should, with only a few good mods.
    Last edited by Taemian; 09-30-2007 at 08:26 PM.

1 of 170 '04 SB w/sunroof, light flint int.

MOD HISTORY:
    -Lidio's Xcal2 flash, JLT CAI
    -Trilogized June/08 (mostly installed by RC_Signals)
    13.2@103 on stock (balding) tires.
    -Added: SW Long tube Headers + High Flow Cats
    -New BFGs (Best Baby Shower gift EVER!)
    12.81@107.78 Oct 02/09
    -Ventilated Block Mod
    Out of commission
    -Rebuilt with:
    Teksid block/ForgedInternals/Melling oil pump/Canton windage tray/Rebuilt heads with SVT Cobra cams/Cloyes gears/ SVT Lightning MAF/Accufab TB/ MuscleMerc rear head cooling kit/ Steigy lightly ported and polished Eaton 112-
    -Widened rims
    XCal 4 Remote-tuned to PERFECTION by Jeff @ MartyO June/19

Naake is incredible. I highly recommend it. Many options out there but none of them have the thoughtfulness and quality level of the Naake kit. I dont see it as expensive(compared to other upgrades that have no real bearing on our performance. This is an upgrade you will enjoy EVERY mile and smile that you drive...choose carefully young padawan!

Naake kit is actually cheaper than factory replacements!
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

I don't believe in factory replacements and I have just never enjoyed the ride of a coilover on any of my vehicles that have had it. I had the Eibach kit w/Bilstiens on my 91 Cougar (RIP) and I loved how it handled. I have heard to steer clear of the Eibach's on the Marauder though and will.
    What I'm wondering though is the pro and cons or rear air spring to coil spring conversion. Has anybody done this and will the car benefit from it or would it screw up my ride? I have a rear air spring that has developed a leak and I was considering swapping to the SHM kit w/KYB's on the car. KYB's the only option beside the coilovers or Monroe's. Plus I have never had a vehicle I did not lower some way. The SHM kit says it lowers the car 30mm front and back.

Or does anyone know a good vendor where I can find the airsprings, dryer, and what ever else I should replace at a decent price?

As far as I know, we're all still running the rear airbags. I've had cars with air suspension for the past 17 years and would never change over to "regular" springs. There is a reputable vendor on ebay, just replace both airbags at the same time so you don't have to worry about a side-to-side tilt. Don't worry about the compressor and dryer, as long as it will raise the rear after you start the car, they're fine.

If you look at the OEM front springs, you'll see that they are made the same as the replacement coilovers, except they don't have the adjustments nor the performance damping.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

You had armoured P71s? How cool is that? Can you describe them?

I would not remove the air springs in favor of coils, the load leveling feature is very useful if you carry extra passengers or cargo.

You can replace just the leaking air spring, or both. Replacing just one will not effect side to side height. I suggest installing new o-rings on the solenoid once removed from the air spring as well.
    Make sure to spray everything down with soapy water to confirm the leaking component.

www.arnottindustries.com sells replacement after market air springs reasonably priced. The air springs are interchangeable for the Town Car, Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Marauder, so don't worry that there is not a Marauder specific replacement listed. Arnott makes all their panther air springs with the 'HPP' spring rate, this is slightly stiffer than the 'base' rate used on non-HPP CV/GMs w/ RAS and Town Cars w/o Touring or Limo package. The Marauder uses the HPP rate air springs from the factory, so this is a direct replacement with the same performance.

If you want to lower the rear of the car, simply adjust the height sensor!
    Last edited by Drock96Marquis; 10-01-2007 at 06:48 PM.
    -My Homepage and Panther tech-

My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis Supercharged LSE -
    Modifications
    Click My Merc for more Pics!

Another question then, I know alot of parts are interchangable from the CV and GM to the MM. Are the airbags the same, what about the dryer? How hard is it do do yourself? I do most of my work myself but just want a heads up on anything that I might keep my I out for when I'm doing it. I'm still considering the Naake kit, but like I said Dennis recommended not lowering the car (which I'm doing anyway) but he also said he didn't like the Naake kit. That is why I'm second guessing myself on its purchase.

Duh see above right . Maybe I should keep reading before I reply. Okay I will keep the airbags because I was wondering how it would ride w/me and 3 buddies in my car w/all of our golf bags in the trunk w/the springs. Thanks for the help on that. I will still have to mull over the Naake kit. Since my airbag is leaky I don't have the same budget I did. If I go w/KYBs I can get the sway bar kit and new brakes and replace my air bags

Got both airbags($69 ea), o-rings($10 set), and and a dryer($30) for $200 plus tax from Suncore They charge a $25 core on the airbags. Airbags have a 2 year warranty, not as good as Arnott Industries theirs have a lifetime warranty just are $30 more each. Limited budget now since I wasn't expecting to have my airbags go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information