Thread: great fog light mod !!

great fog light mod !!

if you have car ramps or lift - use them, although it can be done on your back. under the front of the car while lying with your head towards the rear, you will see the velcro openings to get to the fog lights if you had to replace a bulb. un hook the wiring harness assembly from the fog light and remove the 4 screws that hold the fog light to the bumper. remove the bulb (keep the bulb clean and do not touch the bulb as oil will cause it to blow or shorten its life. it's halogen).you will notice a brass aiming adjustment screw. by widening the black ball and socket holder (with a super small socket) you will be able to remobe the brass long thread from the ball and socket. notice there are 2 side holders holding the back to the lense. pry 1 holder to the side and pull the back off. pull the metal diffuser straight out. this will allow the bulb to shine light everywhere and make best use of the mirror reflector in the housing WITHOUT BLOCKING ANY RAYS. reassemble and notice the AMAZING lighting with the fog lights on now. the lense is glass so no need to worry about melting.

mtnh Guest
    Hey Joe, sounds like a winner. Just checking, though, did you evaluate your light output as an oncoming driver since performing this mod? If the lighting that results from this mod is as you say, "amazing", then it may be the opposite for the other guys, both in front of you in your direction and folks heading toward you. I just found out that my fogs on my Lincoln LS can use the same bulb as the hi-beam that the LS uses. As bright as these fogs shine with the factory bulbs, they are never a problem for oncoming traffic, as their pattern only puts the light where it is needed, lighting up the road and sides of the road. When a bulb lets go, I will be adding the H9005 hi-beam bulbs, since the pattern is defined by the optics, not the bulb. I may snatch a few watts of more light out of the deal as well as hopping up to Sylvania Silverstars to brighten up the color temperature.

Mike

Originally posted by mtnh
    .... did you evaluate your light output as an oncoming driver since performing this mod?
    .....I just found out that my fogs on my Lincoln LS can use the same bulb as the hi-beam that the LS uses.
    Mike
    Good point Mike, I was wondering about the blinding issue. Funny you bring up the LS fogs. That was the first thing I did all thru-out. I upped the low beams to 80w and the highbeams to 100w. NOT BLINDING. But the fogs were a little tricky. My 2000 had H10's down there. (no one makes a high power H10) I wanted 9006 55w. They dont fit. The hole is too small. I pulled the lenses out and dremmeled the hole a little larger, trimmed the tab on the bulb, and they have been in there water tight ever since.

Check the hole size first.....
    2017 Niro

it's like combining driving lights ( far thin aim point ) and fog lights ( short wide aim point ). simply the best of both worlds.
    2003 - black w/ dark charcoal 300a. polished full size spare, carpeted lid trunk organizer - 2w7z-54115a00-aa, black rear spoiler - 2w7z-5444210-aab, matte black door edge guards - yw7z-5420910-ba, all weather molded vinyl black floor mats - 1w7z-5413086-ha (front) & 1w4z-5413106-ca (rear), Gorilla spline drive chrome plated locking lug nuts, Kenwood kfc-6808c 6x8 3-way speakers in front & rear, Kenwood kfc-1705 6.75" subwoofer, Clarion Proaudio DXZ-835 CD receiver, Clarion Proaudio DCZ 6-disc CD changer, Clarion SIRCL Sirius satellite radio tuner, Superchips tuner, Borla cat back exhaust, SVO rear girdle (T/A performance) & stud kit, Dynotech MMC racing driveshaft, B&M 3 quart+ aluminum finned tranny pan.

Thread Information