Thread: EATC o-ring repair - How to... with pics.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow EATC o-ring repair - How to... with pics.

Well, it was my turn for the EATC fixing, I used JAcook's walkthrough about it and I took pics to help with those who might be scared to do it, its pretty easy.

JACook:
    I know others have revived their EATCs by swapping in the vacuum solenoid assembly from other Ford
    products, but I decided to dig a bit deeper. The problem was an o-ring inside one of the EATC solenoids.
    Total cost to fix the problem- 'Bout 25 cents, and a couple hours of my time.

Replacing the o-rings requires disassembly of the solenoids, but that's really not that hard to do, if one
    has reasonably good mechanical aptitude. But first, make sure they hold vacuum when not energized.
    Connect a hose to the center vacuum port (where the black tube was connected) and suck it.
    It should hold vacuum. If it doesn't, the following fix probably isn't for you.

The solenoid assembly comes off the EATC module by unscrewing the two T-20 Torx screws on the
    back side of the module. Pivot the rear of the assembly up, and disengage the tabs at the front of
    the module. Disconnect the solenoid connector.

Lay the solenoid assembly on it's back, and remove the 10 screws holding the solenoids and plenum
    strap to the plastic frame. At the wiring end of each solenoid, you'll see two metal tabs folded over,
    that hold the solenoid coil and armature to the solenoid frame. Straighten these tabs and then carefully
    pull out the armature, while watching you don't lose the spring or plunger that are inside. Note the
    o-ring on the armature. That's what we're after.

Next, slide the coil off the end of the plenum tube, and then pinch the ends of the solenoid frame
    together to release it from the plenum. Once the solenoid is all apart, fit the armature back into the
    end of the plenum tube to check that the o-ring has a good snug fit. If it does, clean the inside of
    the tube, and reassemble the solenoid. You can replace the o-ring if you like, but if it fits well, there's
    no need.

Make sure you pay attention to the screw flanges on the solenoid frame. Pinch the end of the frame
    together to fit it back onto the plenum. The spacer that goes at the plenum end of the solenoid
    has the inside diameter undercut, and four grooves. The undercut end goes toward the plenum, and
    you'll see four ribs at the base of the plenum tube that mate with the four grooves in the spacer.

The armature slides back on next, followed by the plunger, and then the spring. (The flat end of
    the plunger goes into the hole first, if you missed how it came out.) Use a bit of dielectric grease on
    the o-ring, (I used Nylog) but do not use any oil or anything on the plunger. Make sure the tip of the
    armature where the plunger seals against it, is clean and shiny. Don't get any dielectric grease on the
    tip of the armature. Clean and dry is what you want here. Slide the armature back into the end of the
    solenoid, and while pressing everything back together, fold the metal tabs back over.

Repeat this for each of the four solenoids. On mine, the one that was leaking was for the floor vent
    door (red hose). It was obvious when I got to that one. The armature came out much easier than the
    others, and when I test-fitted the armature back into the plenum tube,
    it was a much looser fit.
    Or for those who are better seeing than reading...

- Remove the dash trim about the EATC unit (pulls up from the passenger side all the way to the steering wheels)

- Remove the 4 screws on the front of the unit holding it in.

- Remove the 2 electical connectors, then the 2 black nuts holding the vacuum connector on the ports.

Once the unit is out, remove the 2 gold torqs screws on the back, then the top half will lift up and off. This is the vacuum soleniods and vacuum plenum.

-Once they are off, unplug the wire connector to the solenoids.

Once the vacuum solenoid assembly is off remove all 10 of the screws holding it all down, (here you can skip to the step about bending the tabs on the rear of the solenoid if you just need to replace the o-ring) then you can gently pry up the 2 long arms that are closest to the middle of plenum.

once that is off you can pull the whole solenoid and frame straight off.

Once the solenoid is off, there will be two tabs on the rear folded over the back, pry them up till they are straight, then slightly pry to two side ones up (these are the ears on the part of the solenoid that has the o-ring on it), and the rear of the solenoid will pull off the back.

Once that is off, you will see the o-ring you need to replace.
    (the red/orange one is the new one in this picture)
    Replace the oring- then there is a little silver part that goes in the black body of the vacuum plenum, rubber tit end in 1st, then the spring on the back of it, you will see how it sits on the silver peice, then the frame around the solenoid, with the spacer... push this all back onto the plenum, making sure your 4 slots of the spacer are lined up, and when it fits back together, fold all 4 of your tabs back over.

Repeat this on the other solenoids, then re-install everything in the reverso order or removal... and fire it up.

Did mine today, took an hour, maybe 1.5 hrs. Working GREAT. Pretty cheap fix too.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Black_Noise; 06-30-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Thread Information