Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pulling my engine

1963 marauder

you live in minnesota? nice car by the way!

Kirk, I have the same issue with the battery in my '64 as you do. At first I used a rubber strap with S-hooks on the ends but now I just let it sit on the tray loose. It doesn't seem to move any but am I asking for trouble? The clamp you mentioned is on the Die Hard battery? How did you get something big enough to go around the battery or did you have to make it?

BW
    They give you this but you pay for that
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 04 Quicksilver; 02-04-2015 at 06:41 PM.

Yes, a loose battery is an accident waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Recent new owner of a 2004 SB
    RIP 2003 Black 300A

I'll put the strap back on it. Thanks for the advice.

BW
    The king is dead but he's not forgotten

Bet ya can fine something that'll for ya work here!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=mari...w&ved=0CEgQsAQ
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Quicksilver View Post
    Kirk, I have the same issue with the battery in my '64 as you do. At first I used a rubber strap with S-hooks on the ends but now I just let it sit on the tray loose. It doesn't seem to move any but am I asking for trouble? The clamp you mentioned is on the Die Hard battery? How did you get something big enough to go around the battery or did you have to make it?

BW
    I went to the hardware and bought two HVAC duct clamps. They are just your typical worm gear clamps, like hose clamps, but 18 inches long. I used two so I have a buckle on each end of the battery to use for the clamp-down. I also had to use a plastic block on one end to give it just a little more length.
    Last edited by kirk; 02-05-2015 at 08:08 PM.
    1963 Marauder S-55, Super Marauder 406
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.
    https://sites.google.com/a/wmich.edu/supermarauder/
    ______________________________ _____________

First retailed 2003 Marauder
    Bought 6 June 2002

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Quicksilver View Post

BW
    I bought two chrome hooks with threaded ends and drilled two holes in the sides of the battery tray in the middle for them to hook to and then got a piece of 2 inch by 1/4 inch thick steel bar and cut it to lenth, around 6 or seven inches i think but cant remember exactly, then layed out two holes 1 inch in from either side centered on the plate and drilled out the holes to the a little bigger size than the threaded ends of the hooks.

Painted the steel plate a flat back and put some pads, washers, and chrome wing nuts to secure it to the battery. Also added some battery tray padding to the underside of the steel plate where it meets the battery.

Looks great and works great as well. And didnt cost very much.

Here's a look in full display mode with the factory wires and air filter. I don't run those when I'm driving it.

Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.

Bought 6 June 2002

Quote Originally Posted by kirk View Post
    Latest issue, bell housing run out is 0.009"
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk View Post
    TKO transmissions instructions (Classic Motorsports Group) states that this measurement on a Ford should be no bigger than .005"

Offset dowels are available in only .007", .014", and .021" sizes. If I were to use the .007" I would (theoretically) get my run out down to .0055", still out of spec.

Then there's this Ford Racing document http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...using_Tech.pdf which states a run out as high as .015" is OK (and that offsets come .007, .014, and .021). This makes more sense with the sizes available.

Am I chasing a problem that doesn't exist?
    Hi Kirk!
    Great thread with great pix.

When my brother and I mocked up the bellhousing to our 427 block the runout was wayyy too much.
    I'm glad we took the time to check it with a dial gauge and did not assume that "all was good".
    We used the offset dowels to get it well within specification and have had no vibration problems with the combo.
    I suspect this was a contributor to the 'hogged out' shaft bushing.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh View Post
    Hi Kirk!
    Great thread with great pix.

When my brother and I mocked up the bellhousing to our 427 block the runout was wayyy too much.
    I'm glad we took the time to check it with a dial gauge and did not assume that "all was good".
    We used the offset dowels to get it well within specification and have had no vibration problems with the combo.
    I suspect this was a contributor to the 'hogged out' shaft bushing.
    Thanks.

Bell housing run-out is just one of those things I've never given much thought to in the past. I'm mean, after all, isn't it all set from the factory? But clearly it may not be, and I've learned some new things this go-round.

It still has to pass the test. *%#! winter!

Bought 6 June 2002

I was able to warm it up, set the idle mixture and timing, and take it around the block today. Leaks are all gone and things are good so far. It's ready for the highway test. Unfortunately, the roads are not ready for that test yet. We need some rain and some holes filled, but I'm one step closer.

Bought 6 June 2002

Going to try and get my 390 running again now that it's noce outside! But i have been thinking about doing a engine swap with either a newer ford motor or a Chevy 5.3 or 5.7. I don't wanna ruin the value of the car but it would be sweet to have a reliable new engine. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatality51 View Post
    Going to try and get my 390 running again now that it's noce outside! But i have been thinking about doing a engine swap with either a newer ford motor or a Chevy 5.3 or 5.7. I don't wanna ruin the value of the car but it would be sweet to have a reliable new engine. Any suggestions?
    Why won't the 390 be reliable?

Parts are still available.
    No electronics.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

The world's oldest Marauder is back in excellent shape!

I've had it out a few times now, on increasingly longer drives. I did not get rid of the underlying vibration I have at 70-75 mph, and was disappointed.

Maybe it's just my long history with the car, knowing all of the sounds and movements that come out of it. I took a retired auto mechanic friend for a ride today to get his opinion. He said he wished his old cars ran that smooth, even at 75 where I thought I had a problem. He thinks its great and ready for a long drive. I have to say, it drives better than it has in many years. Runs strong and smooth.

So the world's oldest Marauder is in the best condition it has been in in a very long time. It is a joy to drive and I can't wait to start hitting the shows this summer. Don't know which shows for sure yet, but Woodward is way up there on the list. We'll see what else I can make.

Bought 6 June 2002

Car shows

Back to the 50s or car craft in Minnesota, we can park the marauders next to eachother haha

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information