Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And you all thought it wasn't possible!

Talking And you all thought it wasn't possible!

A number of you may remember me mentioning the fact that adding a throttle body to the list of upgrades could be a valuable option. Many said it couldn't be done because our intake is on the other side. Many said there's nothing to be gained. Well... I at least proved the first one wrong! IT DOESN'T MATTER! do you really think Ford would spend the $$$ to redesign that TB? No... They just flipped it! So, with that, I set out to get a Twin 62MM BBK TB on my car. I finally found a new one on eBay for the right price, and it came today. I just got done mounting and test driving it today. A stiffer pedal and a more touchy throttle is the results. As for seat of the pants, I think it's there, and judging by how fast that MPH needle was moving, I think there is some sort of gain here. Do I know for sure? No... Am I going to go on a dyno and find out? Umm... got $125?

Now, be forewarned... This thing hasn't been on the car long enoph to throw a light or blow up my motor yet (knock on wood...), and like I said, I have no dyno results to see what exactly everything's doing. When I mounted it, I left all the adjustments in their current positions. When I started the car, it reved up and died. I had to adjust the lil screw in a tad before she'd idle again. She idle's great now, and doesn't dip hardly at all when A/C's on, or when I flutter the gas. Everything seems to be going great, so we shall see... Now, on with the pics, eh?

New TB:

Old TB:

New TB Mounted:

And my entire intake system:

The drooling may comence...
    Last edited by LincMercLover; 11-04-2003 at 03:35 PM.

You installed a "Twin 62MM BBK TB" , not to sound completely stupid what was the size of your (our) old one?
    Later,
    Bowman9

Modifactions:
    SuperChips Custom Tuner 9100 (Lidio)
    180 Degree Thermostat
    Ford Motorsport 4.10 Gears
    Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Coldair Kit

I think the OEM is twin 57mm.

Bravo, Rick! Keep us posted on the performance gains/fuel economy? I love the sneaky undercover mods.

Niiiiice. . .

I still want dyno numbers though
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

Sarge is correct, and yes Dr Caleb, I want some dyno sheets too!

Hey Rick...

I thought you belonged to the "I-won't-mod-my-car-'til-the-warranty's-up" crowd...?

Anyroad, that mod sounds like a good one, especially for the price...definitely keep us informed with dyno results...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Rick, that's just a flipped 99+ Cobra BBK TB?

Okay, I don't hate you anymore, please change my vote on your poll yesterday. IMHO, this kind of tinkering may be where we need to head for that elusive few extra ponies after other mods get done. Glad to know it's basically a bolt on, small tweaking kind of conversion. Thanx for doing the work first.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

on my old lt1 350, the throttle was dual 48 mm while the intake manifold was 52 MM openings. is the intake on our MM 62 mm, or do we need to dremmel it open from the 57mm?
    2003 - black w/ dark charcoal 300a. polished full size spare, carpeted lid trunk organizer - 2w7z-54115a00-aa, black rear spoiler - 2w7z-5444210-aab, matte black door edge guards - yw7z-5420910-ba, all weather molded vinyl black floor mats - 1w7z-5413086-ha (front) & 1w4z-5413106-ca (rear), Gorilla spline drive chrome plated locking lug nuts, Kenwood kfc-6808c 6x8 3-way speakers in front & rear, Kenwood kfc-1705 6.75" subwoofer, Clarion Proaudio DXZ-835 CD receiver, Clarion Proaudio DCZ 6-disc CD changer, Clarion SIRCL Sirius satellite radio tuner, Superchips tuner, Borla cat back exhaust, SVO rear girdle (T/A performance) & stud kit, Dynotech MMC racing driveshaft, B&M 3 quart+ aluminum finned tranny pan.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Larger throttle bodies can render the throttle response more sensitive, or 'digital' as some refer to it. In other words, harder to modulate as with the stocker. This may mislead one into thinking there is more power, but only a dyno/ quarter-mile report will tell the true story.

Incidentally, it's really hard to 'over throttle' a multi-port fuel injected... there's no mixture velocity to worry about. As long as the intake manifold ports / runners sizes are kept in check, there will be no problem for the injectors atomizing the fuel and mixture velocities being satisfactory, especially since the fuel is atomized so close to the intake port! Not like the old days of over-carbing an engine!

The Single blade TB's are worth 5-7 and a few ft/lbs on the Lightning... Throttle response is greatly improved though and they look cool.

There is another on ebay as we speak.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33558
    Later,
    Bowman9

Modifactions:
    SuperChips Custom Tuner 9100 (Lidio)
    180 Degree Thermostat
    Ford Motorsport 4.10 Gears
    Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Coldair Kit

Originally posted by SergntMac
    I think the OEM is twin 57mm.

Bravo, Rick! Keep us posted on the performance gains/fuel economy? I love the sneaky undercover mods.
    Sarge - That's correct 57MM.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Yup, that's the one. Like I said, if anyone can hook me up with a dyno run, I'll be there. Right now, I have zero moola... So far so good!

Heres my 65mm Single blade Accufab like Logan said goo9d for at least 5 HP and about 10 Ft Lbs average.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Accufab 65mm Throttlebody, 4.10 gears, and JDM Flipchip. Finally here.

In the future: total custom Twin Turbo at 15-18 PSI
    with Intercooler and 2003 Cobra Mustang lower end with Crank,Manley Rods, and 8.5 over1 Pistons.

14.976 @ 94.8 MPH 03 Marauder stock
    13.028 @ 104.6 MPH 02 Lightning JDM Flipchip,4# lower pulley, and Borla Catback. JLP Ramair, Oilbreather, JLP power pipe
    More to come

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information