Thread: loose steering

loose steering

This car also has very loose steering, enclosed some pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

whats going on there?

Can you see any excess movement if you have someone else turn the wheel back and forth?

Are you sure there's something wrong? The steering on my '63 is WAY sloppier than a modern car, and there's nothing wrong with it. Just the difference in modern steering technology, and when you're used to driving something that's actually responsive it might take a little getting used to.
    1963 Marauder S-55, Super Marauder 406
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.
    https://sites.google.com/a/wmich.edu/supermarauder/
    ______________________________ _____________

First retailed 2003 Marauder
    Bought 6 June 2002

The rag joint looks OK.

There is an adjustment set screw on the steering box. Tis may work but with the age of the car you may need to replace the steering box.

Adjusting the gear mesh, which is a slotted screw with a hex lock nut. Get the steering centered (wheels straight ahead), and loosen the lock nut. Gradually tighten the adjusting screw in, while frequently checking the steering play by turning the steering wheel back and forth a turn or two...but leave it centered when adjusting. Eventually, you will take up the slack, unless the gears/bushings are really worn, in which case the adjusting screw will go all the way into the box! (not good). Tighten till the slack is all gone, then add about a half turn of preload to it. If all is well, you should feel the steering get just a little bit harder as you pass thru the center of the steering wheel's travel. Tighten the lock nut securely while holding the screw so it doesn't turn. Road test it.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Thread Information