Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody get a cam sensor code after swapping to the eaton brackets?

Anybody get a cam sensor code after swapping to the eaton brackets?

I now have the correct vaccum I should so I don't think I have a vacc leak anymore thankfully. My next hurdle is I'm getting a cam sensor code. I had to take out my cobra sensor to use a marauder sensor because y'all's sensor plugs into on the side whereas my cobra sensor plugs in straight out and would hit the alternator if I used it. I got a brand new sensor from ford and now Ive gotten a cam sensor code twice. Curious if anybody else using the custom brackets have had a cam sensor code? The car never had this code before and I had a d1sc procharger on this engine before this eaton swap. I just had idle issues with the PC that I wasn't crazy about and a PC idler went out on me after not even having 3k miles on it so I had a coupe reasons for going away from the PC eventhough the pwr was really good.

Jamie R.

Well I pulled the cam sensor tonight. I'm thinking the wrong sensor was in the box. My ford box 1f3z-6b288-ab then above that number in bigger letters is DU-72. The part number on the sensor that was in the box doesn't match the numbers on the box though. The part number on the sensor is 1f3e-6b288-ab which pulls up as a crankshaft sensor or tpms sensor. I'm thinking the wrong sensor was put in the box. I've never had a cam sensor code until sticking this sensor in for the eaton swap.

Jamie R.

Ok I got another marauder cam sensor and I've gotten the po340 code again. This is two dif sensors now and I get the same cel. Any ideas why I would have this code?

Jamie R.

The connectors and sensors themselves are different IIRC.
    You might have to swap the wire orientation.

P0340 code indicates that a problem was detected in the camshaft position sensor circuit. Since it says circuit, that means the problem could lie in any part of the circuit - the sensor itself, the wiring, or the PCM. Don't just replace the sensor and think that will definitely fix it.

A code P0340 could mean one or more of the following has happened:
    • a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken
    • the PCM may have failed
    • there exists an open circuit
    • the crankshaft position sensor may have failed.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I googled the code and apparently the alt might need to be changed. So I'm sticking a alt on it. My stock 01 conn does plug into the marauder sensor and the sensors look exact except for the straight out plug in vs side plug in. I really don't think anything is wrong with the wiring cause this problem never existed before.
    I'm leaning to the alt being the issue. The car idles smoothly and has no apparent issues other than that code.

Well no change in my po340 code. I put a new alt on and still have the code and typically on third cranking cycle. The car idles very smooth and revs smooth but I still get the code. I didn't remove the harness for this swap, just laid the wires over to the side. I've never had this code before until using the swap brackets and marauder sensor. If nothing changes in a couple days of trying something else then ill have a set of Terry's heavy duty brackets for sale cause ill be going to the term setup with the pulley bridge. A bud of mine used this same setup on his cobra with a marauder sensor and has never had this code so I'm at a loss as to why this code keeps popping up for me.

Jamie R.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie R. View Post
    Well no change in my po340 code. I put a new alt on and still have the code and typically on third cranking cycle. The car idles very smooth and revs smooth but I still get the code. I didn't remove the harness for this swap, just laid the wires over to the side. I've never had this code before until using the swap brackets and marauder sensor. If nothing changes in a couple days of trying something else then ill have a set of Terry's heavy duty brackets for sale cause ill be going to the term setup with the pulley bridge. A bud of mine used this same setup on his cobra with a marauder sensor and has never had this code so I'm at a loss as to why this code keeps popping up for me.

Jamie R.
    Get a wiring diagram sir. It may be as simple as reversing the orientation of the wires.

What wires would you be referring to? With the alt spinning backwards have any of y'all had issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie R. View Post
    What wires would you be referring to? With the alt spinning backwards have any of y'all had issue?
    The cam sensor wires.

Ill try a couple different things in the next couple nights. On the swap brackets, does the alt pulley end up really close to the cam sensor. Mine is so close that I have to shave a little of the plastic off near where the sensor bolts up. Thanks for the info, I'm up for trying anything cause I'm a loss on this.

Jamie R.

Tried a few things still persist with the same po340 code on the third crank. Car idles smooth, cranks fine, revs clean, but the code is consistent on the third crank cycle. Outta ideas.

Have you checked the physical lengths of the sensors?
    Are they Oem ford sensors?
    Have you verified the wiring is the same between mustangs and marauders?
    Have you checked continuity from the connector to the PCM bulkhead connector???

Out on a limb here...you said the alternator pulley was so close to the sensor you had to shave some plastic from it. I don't know how likely this is, but it's possible that much steel so close to the sensor is messing with the magnetic field and distorting the signal, especially if the CPS is a variable-reluctance type sensor.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I believe the op has a cobra not a marauder....
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information