Thread: Picking two guages

Picking two guages

Need your opinions.

If you could only pick two guages for the lower instr. cluster and you had a supercharged marauder what would they be? (I'm saving the "third" position for something special and also want to avoid any "pods"--I like the stock look.)

Having an electronics background I can easily cobble together something like a series of subtle led's to indicate oil pressure and battery/charging state. So I don't see much point in putting in an oil pressure guage or votage/amp guage.

Don't see the value of a fuel pressure guage. The only reason for having one that I can see is to be able to detect a fuel pump problem and there are better ways of doing that IMHO.

I also don't see a significant advantage to a trans or engine oil temp guage. When necessary I change to plate type cooling systems that are more in danger of *over* cooling (at least in northwest driving conditions).

Myself, I was thinking for one of a A/F or exhaust pyro guage. Both have the ability to detect a fuel pump, injector, map, or EEC failures. Also could detect a EEC loss of custom program.

For the second spot maybe a boost/vacuum guage (though I'm not entirely convinced that it's really useful and just not for entertainment).

What do you think?

- Mark
    Mark Willson

'04 Aviator, '03 Marauder, '87 Porsche 928, '78 Dodge Kitcar, '73+'71 GTXs, '71+'70 Road Runners

"Work hard, play harder, love hardest." --M. Willson

Quote Originally Posted by 1gtx
    Need your opinions.

If you could only pick two guages for the lower instr. cluster and you had a supercharged marauder what would they be? (I'm saving the "third" position for something special and also want to avoid any "pods"--I like the stock look.)

Having an electronics background I can easily cobble together something like a series of subtle led's to indicate oil pressure and battery/charging state. So I don't see much point in putting in an oil pressure guage or votage/amp guage.

Don't see the value of a fuel pressure guage. The only reason for having one that I can see is to be able to detect a fuel pump problem and there are better ways of doing that IMHO.

I also don't see a significant advantage to a trans or engine oil temp guage. When necessary I change to plate type cooling systems that are more in danger of *over* cooling (at least in northwest driving conditions).

Myself, I was thinking for one of a A/F or exhaust pyro guage. Both have the ability to detect a fuel pump, injector, map, or EEC failures. Also could detect a EEC loss of custom program.

For the second spot maybe a boost/vacuum guage (though I'm not entirely convinced that it's really useful and just not for entertainment).

What do you think?

- Mark
    I'd go with the boost if it's supercharged and the exhaust pyro with an option to switch between the left & right side exhaust.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Just for entertainment purposes, how about some sort of accelerometer that shows how much G force you pull when you stomp on it? Or percent of Mach?
    White Lightning Kiarauder:
    2011 Kia Forte EX Minisculus Pimpmobilius Extremus
    Built-in Nav, Bluetooth, USB port, aux/ipod jack, ]2 power ports and Sunroof! six speed auto trans w/ Sportmatic, dead pedal, rear-view camera. Voice cmd for radio, sat, nav, cell phone and MP3.
    Four very muscular, steroid-enhanced, genetically mutated, Mountain Dew injected, wild racing hamsters cavorting under the hood.
    ............................... ...................
    Black Thunder:
    2004 Marauder - Black w/black interior
    Sequence number is 39 of 3213
    Traded in 12/12/10
    --------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    XCalibrator2/Reinhart tune
    Sequence number is 37 of 327
    10/10/2009 ---- Blue Thunder has gone on to a much better place -----
    Martyo's Garage!!!!!

How about some sort of measure of inlet air temperature?

What are the most "critical" parameters we need to watch to avoid detonation (engine detonation)? I do not have the answer to that question, I would think this has been addressed somewhere in here. I will do a search.

At this time my guess is intercooler fluid outlet temp or air inlet temp (post s/c) if it were my choice.

jeremy

Thanks to N40GL (Mark) for the idea, now you can have four gauges:

http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/design/dualgauges.htm

The console gauge positions are for things that you need to look at once and a while but not critical in a split second. I put tranny temp and oil pressure down there.

Things that are REALLY important in my S/C case include Fuel Pressure, Boost and N2O Pressure with N2O really not split/second critical because I run a wet system.

If I lose fuel pressure or I see the boost go too high I want to know RIGHT NOW and that's why I have the pillar gauges.
    If you are going for simple and don't race, then put boost and fuel pressure down in the console pod.

Huzzah!

John

I agree with TooManyFords - Keep the important gauges within your field of vision while your eyes are on the road.

EGT would be ideal. As you stated, it will tell you most of everything you need to know. A/F gauges are not that accurate (from what I've read) except the wideband ones which are usually pretty expensive. EGT will tell you the same though. For the second gauge, I would suggest tranny temp. Its good to know for auto tranny's.

Thanks for all your suggestions. There were quite helpful.

Now I've got to make a decision.
    Hmmm. Decisions, decisions... :-)

- Mark
    Mark Willson

'04 Aviator, '03 Marauder, '87 Porsche 928, '78 Dodge Kitcar, '73+'71 GTXs, '71+'70 Road Runners

"Work hard, play harder, love hardest." --M. Willson

Thread Information