Thread: Anyone actually installed shocks?????????

Question Anyone actually installed shocks?????????

I need shocks, front and rear so I consulted the repair manual. I was taken aback at the complexity of the task on Fords made after 2002.

Prior to that year the job was about three lines, simple as sin.

After 2002 you have a lot of disassembly, spring compression and what not.

Reads like a job for a suspension shop.

Has anyone here tackled this job?

I've talked to a very few people and although they bought the shocks themselves, they had a shop actually install them.

Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I need shocks, front and rear so I consulted the repair manual. I was taken aback at the complexity of the task on Fords made after 2002.

Prior to that year the job was about three lines, simple as sin.

After 2002 you have a lot of disassembly, spring compression and what not.

Reads like a job for a suspension shop.

Has anyone here tackled this job?

I've talked to a very few people and although they bought the shocks themselves, they had a shop actually install them.

Comments?
    I did my rears... piece of cake.

Fronts are a different story. You'll need a spring compressor to R&R the shocks. You can rent the compressor from most FLAPS. A word of CAUTION - you really need to know what you are doing or you can "put your eye out!".

I bet your son's shop has a compressor.

Rock Auto has a complete assembly - FCS 1336343

From their catalog:

The FCS Strut Assembly is engineered to meet and exceed O.E.M. quality. The components and valving are designed specifically for each domestic or import car, truck, van, minivan or SUV application. The precisely calibrated valving combinations are individualized for each application to best simulate OE ride and feel.

Each unit is tested on key measures and manufactured using reliable designs and repeatable production methods. NOK seals, highly-polished chrome rod finish, high performance shock oil, and an OE-type piston ensures first-class quality for each unit made.

Assembly Includes:

MacPherson Strut: With NOK seals, mirror-finished, hard-chrome piston rod, and Japanese oil (to insure great seal, long-life and consistent damping over a wide range of temperatures).
    Coil Spring: 20% of production factory-checked for OE compression levels. Electrostatic coating for optimal corrosion resistance.
    Bearing Plate: From same supplier as Monroe. Endurance tested under extreme load to ensure optimal performance & long life.
    Boot Kit & Bumper: Bumper molded from urethane rubber for long life. Absorbs harsh, damaging road impact and noise for quieter driving.
    Upper Spring Seat: Absorbs harsh, damaging road impact and noise for quieter driving.
    Upper and Lower Isolators: Ensures spring remains stable in all conditions.
    Robust Brackets: Reinforced to insure integrity and long life.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

rear shocks are a peice of cake ive replaced ine twice and completed in hour..

front ive done but to save money and be able to do it myself bought a whole assembly like fbm said....

03 MERC MARAUDER 300A BLACK/CHARCOAL
    BORN 6/19/2002
    #1576 OF A BUILD OF 7838
    MODS:
    Motor Rebuid: 7/22/11, Transmission Rebuild: 11/24/10, SCT DR 93 octane tune , K&N CAI, BC4E Dead Pedal, FBM LCM & EATC Fix, Marty-O Fender Badges , "POWERED BY FORD" Coil Covers, Optima Red Top Battery, SS Inserts, Personilized Tags, Factory Spolier , CarMotorSports Badges , 2.5 Crowl Fiberglass Hood , 6k HID Head/ 6K HID Fog Lights , Reinhart Proguard , G2 RED painted calibers , Gorilla Wheel Lock System , FBM "MARUADER" Pedals/ Sills.....

AUDIO SYSTEM:
    Pioneer 7' Touchscreen DVD Headunit , 2 12' Kicker L7's, Kicker 1500.1 Amp , Kicker 350.4 Amp , Kicker Ported Sub Box, "Big 3" Upgrade , 0 Guage Stinger Wires All Around , Rocksford Fosgate 10 Farad Capacitor , Kinetiks HC2000 Audio Battery , 250 Amp DB Alternator , Dynamat All Around , Rocksford 6x8 Doors, Kicker 6x9 Deck Amplified , Kicker 6x9 in Trunk Amplified ,Rocksford 1' Tweeters Custom Mounted "A" Pillars...

I've done a few dozen. Not really all that involved?

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Neither the front, or the rear are difficult to remove, and replace, easy peasy.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Rear suspension is pretty straight forward. If you can tackle a tire change the rear shocks would be something you can do.

Front suspension is considerably more involved. If you lack a more complete set of tools and skills it may be worth involving a professional or competent friend. Either way once the coil-over is removed the spring will need to be compressed, something I would avoid doing with anything less than a wall mounted spring compressor, as those are sketchy enough, the small portable kit you might buy/rent are far more scary but could get the job done. I would suggest bringing the coil-over to a shop to have the spring compressed and the shock swapped.
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Rock Auto has a complete assembly - FCS 1336343.
    I'd put money on that being a Crown Vic part. No way you're going to get the right spring rate, installed height and shock valving from an auto parts store.

That's what you get for buying a limited-production car.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
    I'd put money on that being a Crown Vic part. No way you're going to get the right spring rate, installed height and shock valving from an auto parts store.

That's what you get for buying a limited-production car.
    Probably is........
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I did a quick check, the part listed for the Marauder is the same as the part listed for the Crown Vic. However, the Crown Vic has an alternate kit from FCS that says it's for the police interceptor, and based on comparisons of the photos, the spring looks beefier in the police interceptor kit, so it would probably be a better choice. But I'm going to bet that both springs are too tall. That's what happened when my springs were replaced a few years back. I can't get the back high enough to get the car leveled correctly anymore. The shop probably slapped Crown Vic springs on it.
    "Beast, Jr."

2003 300 A, 4.10:1 gear, JLT CAI, Marty tune, Nitto 420S and 555 tires, NGK TR55 plugs, J-mod, Skull lock knobs, and a new windshield

The sad truth is you won't be able to improve on, or even duplicate the original Marauder ride quality without custom springs and shocks as the original parts are out of production. Custom springs are no big deal, just require a little thought and placing an order. Custom shocks cost more.

Even the vaunted KYBs don't compare to OEM Tokicos.
    Lifespeed

Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

I removed the fronts and put them pack on the cut the springs, one side gave me headache the other was cool. That backs look simple really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If it's cheap and reliable it isn't fast
    If it's cheap and fast it isn't reliable
    If it's fast and reliable it isn't cheap

I'm in the same boat as Pat, I need new front and rear suspension, and I have no idea what to buy. Has anyone tried KYB Gas-a-Just for shocks? I keep a lot of junk in my trunk and thought those might take a little strain off of the air ride.
    Last edited by tylerdurden2816; 07-08-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden2816 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as Pat, I need new front and rear suspension, and I have no idea what to buy. Has anyone tried KYB Gas-a-Just for shocks? I keep a lot of junk in my trunk and thought those might take a little strain off of the air ride.
    The air ride is not straining and is the correct solution. Air shocks are a hack.
    Lifespeed

Thread Information