Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runs ruff cold

Runs ruff cold

Recently my 03 on start up runs like it needs a choke,it sputters and I have to step heavy to get it to rpm before it smooths out.
    Once it's warm it fine,it always has had a rich smell with the MartyO tune on cold but this running rough is new.
    Could the rich startup foul anything up ? My last trip into town the engine light came on with a P1152 code which apparently is a slow 02 sensor and now I fear changing them and fouling them up again.
    My engine mods are,JLT CAI ,Stainless Works long tubes with cat deletes,all accounted for in the tune.

Thanks all

Tony

Tony, I looked and the tune file is not rich at idle or start up. So, I can safely say the tune is not what is causing the 02 to foul.

I can revise your file to give it a small rev at start up like these cars had from the factory if you want to try that. Let me know.

Out of curiosity, do you have a wideband on the car?

Quote Originally Posted by martyo View Post
    Tony, I looked and the tune file is not rich at idle or start up. So, I can safely say the tune is not what is causing the 02 to foul.

I can revise your file to give it a small rev at start up like these cars had from the factory if you want to try that. Let me know.

Out of curiosity, do you have a wideband on the car?
    Hi Marty.
    In my reading I found where someone said they run a little rich with a tune so that has never bothered me,I have left it to idle for 10 min on a summer day and it will still do it so I'm not sure if that adjustment will fix it,it did not run like this before the headers and cat delete so this is why I thought maybe that's why the 02's are maybe working harder with more flow going past them or something like that.
    Sorry Marty I don't have a gauge but I should put one on..

For two years mine never stayed running on a cold start. I had to two step it for about a minute every time. It started right after a tune I received from another source who kept blaming my IAC, even my brand new Motorcraft one...

Marty and Jeff set mine to rev on start up again and all is peachy. And yes, all cars carbed or injected run a tad rich on start up, otherwise they would die. (IAC or choke)

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    For two years mine never stayed running on a cold start. I had to two step it for about a minute every time. It started right after a tune I received from another source who kept blaming my IAC, even my brand new Motorcraft one...

Marty and Jeff set mine to rev on start up again and all is peachy. And yes, all cars carbed or injected run a tad rich on start up, otherwise they would die. (IAC or choke)

Builder Of Badassery

Are your thoughts the same if mine does idle,?

Does yours have any start up rev like the factory tune had?

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Does yours have any start up rev like the factory tune had?

Builder Of Badassery

Lol I had to go out and start it to see,it fires up and drops to 900 rpm and stays there,funny thing is now the ABS and Brake light is staying on now,maybe it's got to do with the car sitting in the heat outside for a week but this also has never happened before..
    Last edited by Finally; 06-27-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Almost sounds like an injector leaking by. You say it drops to 900 so I'm assuming it revs higher like I asked. But you say it's rough like loading up till you clear it out. Sounds like it's time to pull the plugs and compare to start with.

As for your brake and ABS, run a scan and check the fluid.

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Almost sounds like an injector leaking by. You say it drops to 900 so I'm assuming it revs higher like I asked. But you say it's rough like loading up till you clear it out. Sounds like it's time to pull the plugs and compare to start with.

As for your brake and ABS, run a scan and check the fluid.

Builder Of Badassery
    It shoots too about 1500 and immediately drops to 900 rpm,we have some hot weather right now so it didn't run bad on startup this time..

Make sure CAI is mounted tight, any air leak can cause problems
    Voted #2 Display at MVV, Best of Show N/A at Carlisle 2010, Best Display at Carlisle 2011, 2012, 2013, Best Display at MVIX, Best Display and Best of Show N/A at Carlisle 2014, Best Display at Carlisle 2015
    Capital Area Marauders Member (CAM)
    03 Silver Birch 300B Built 6-2-03, Adopted 6-24-03, Sequence# 7604 of 7838--Color Sequence# 306 of 418
    American Racing "Rogue" (ROUSH RR05) Chrome Wheels +25 Rear, +35 Front, Stock Tires, Custom Trunk Organizer, Lidio's Tune, Flowmaster 40's, K&N CAI, KVR Rotors /Hawk Pads, Tint 35%, Ford GT Coil Covers, KB Dead Pedal, Reinhart Automotive Pro-Gard, Euro Front Plate "SILVRBULLET"and /or "03 MM 7604", SIRIUS Satellite, Rear Spoiler, SS Inserts, SRP Pedals and Sills, Colex Caps.

cam·ma·rau·de·rie
    Pronunciation: "käm-'maräu-d(&-)rE,
    Function: noun
    Etymology: American Mercury family, from Cam Marauder comrade (Member)
    : a spirit of friendly good-fellowship of Marauder Enthusiasts

check you battery connections, if you have lights on the dash now for no reason you could be starting to have a bad connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Badass_forever View Post
    check you battery connections, if you have lights on the dash now for no reason you could be starting to have a bad connection.
    Funny thing is I went out to take her for a rip and they are not on,terminals are clean and tight.
    Thanks
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by FreddieH View Post
    Make sure CAI is mounted tight, any air leak can cause problems
    Great idea,I had my son clean the TB and MAF last,while I thought him to check and double check I'll give it a look over tomorrow.

Thanks
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Finally View Post
    Great idea,I had my son clean the TB and MAF last,while I thought him to check and double check I'll give it a look over tomorrow.

Thanks
    Tony
    What were the results?

Quote Originally Posted by martyo View Post
    What were the results?
    Sorry Marty just have not got to it yet,tomorrow's a holiday I post up what I find..

Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information