Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1963 marauder trouble shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Fatality51 View Post
    i was finally able to sit at the computer and get some good pictures. hope you enjoy them!
    That car is bad ass, in a lot better condition than mine when i bought it and even still i think. I only paid around 1200 or so but have put a ton of money in it since then. Great car.

sounds like the timing is off

Timing

I don't see the timing diagram anywhere on the engine, where would it be on the lower part of the engine?

I don't see the timing diagram anywhere on the engine, where would it be on the lower part of the engine?
    There is no diagram, and based on the question I'm guessing you've never done this before.

There is a pointer over your harmonic balancer on the front of your crank shaft. A 390 is a little different than my 406 I think, but there will be timing marks (degree marks) on either the pointer or on the balancer, and a reference mark. My 406 has the timing marks on the balancer and the pointer is the reference. Put a timing light on it connected to power and the #1 plug wire. With the engine running at idle, and the vacuum advance disconnected at the distributor, point the light at the timing marks to check the timing.

To change the timing, loosen the distributor hold down bolt enough to turn the distributor. Turning the distributor changes the timing.
    1963 Marauder S-55, Super Marauder 406
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.
    https://sites.google.com/a/wmich.edu/supermarauder/
    ______________________________ _____________

First retailed 2003 Marauder
    Bought 6 June 2002

Yea I've checked timing before, I just had to do it last week to my Silverado. I was just looking and couldn't find any timing marks. I'll check it out again soon. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kirk View Post
    There is no diagram, and based on the question I'm guessing you've never done this before.

There is a pointer over your harmonic balancer on the front of your crank shaft. A 390 is a little different than my 406 I think, but there will be timing marks (degree marks) on either the pointer or on the balancer, and a reference mark. My 406 has the timing marks on the balancer and the pointer is the reference. Put a timing light on it connected to power and the #1 plug wire. With the engine running at idle, and the vacuum advance disconnected at the distributor, point the light at the timing marks to check the timing.

To change the timing, loosen the distributor hold down bolt enough to turn the distributor. Turning the distributor changes the timing.
    Make sure the dwell angle / point gap is set correctly.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Yea I've checked timing before, I just had to do it last week to my Silverado. I was just looking and couldn't find any timing marks. I'll check it out again soon. Thanks
    On my 390 under the radiator where i think you call that the crank shaft if you look on that pulley at the very bottom, (helps if you remove the fan blade for the radiator) there are numbers that go from 10 to like 30 or 40 or more by tens but the writing is very small and you may have to clean the surface good to see them.

Whenever you start to see those numbers crank that thing with a 1 inch socket on the nut in the center in a clockwise motion until you see the numbers and take it to 10 and then a little and I think there is a small mark after that 10 to identify tdc. I had a chalk line already on mine where i had work done so it made it easier for me to find.

That mark should line up with that half an arrow looking fixed metal thing sticking out right at the top of what you're turning, you cant miss it.

And also if you remove all the spark plugs it makes it easier to turn but you probably wont need to, I didnt. Hope that help you man. Good luck.

Update!

Now that is nice out up here in Minnesota I did some work today with a mechanic. We changed the gap on the points cause they were to big. Also I had someone to turn the distributor cap a little and tweak the rotor. Good news she was running for a bit but then died quickly. He said get new spark plug wires and a rotor and it should run. Leaving for Florida tomorrow but I ordered the parts off rock auto. I'll keep all of you updated!

Now that is nice out up here in Minnesota I did some work today with a mechanic. We changed the gap on the points cause they were to big. Also I had someone to turn the distributor cap a little and tweak the rotor. Good news she was running for a bit but then died quickly. He said get new spark plug wires and a rotor and it should run. Leaving for Florida tomorrow but I ordered the parts off rock auto. I'll keep all of you updated!
    When was the fuel filter replaced last?
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Excellent question.
    1963 Marauder S-55, Super Marauder 406
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.
    https://sites.google.com/a/wmich.edu/supermarauder/
    ______________________________ _____________

First retailed 2003 Marauder
    Bought 6 June 2002

Not sure, it's a clear one and it dosnt look to gunked up, my mechanic said he could see the fuel shooting into the carb. But I'll probably replace it eventually

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    or float stuck, needle seat, fuel pump diaphram
    sent from my rotary phone using Technicolor

2004 SILVER BIRCH/BLACK PAINT
    DARK CHARCOAL NUDO LEATHER
    #400 of 997 (SOLD)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT (SOLD)

2004 300A MM BLACK
    1 OWNER CAR, NO OPTIONS
    DAILY DRIVER