Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1963 marauder trouble shooting

1963 marauder trouble shooting

hello everyone! this is my first post on here so bear with me.... so i bought a 1963 marauder so the 04 marauder dosnt get lonely. anyway when i bought it the thing started and drove fine. now it wont start. got a new starter, solonoid, wiring cap, coil, condenser, distributer and spark plugs. its getting gas and spark and turns over but just wont fire! timing belt maybe? carb rebuild? i dont know! also when i was driving it on the highway it would stutter at about 55mph and it seemed to lose power. city driving was completly fine but highway it would backfire. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fatality51 View Post
    hello everyone! this is my first post on here so bear with me.... so i bought a 1963 marauder so the 04 marauder dosnt get lonely. anyway when i bought it the thing started and drove fine. now it wont start. got a new starter, solonoid, wiring cap, coil, condenser, distributer and spark plugs. its getting gas and spark and turns over but just wont fire! timing belt maybe? carb rebuild? i dont know! also when i was driving it on the highway it would stutter at about 55mph and it seemed to lose power. city driving was completly fine but highway it would backfire. thanks!
    Possible timing CHAIN.

Did you change the points? Are they gaped correctly?

It the coil connected right?

Did you get the firing order right when changing the plug wires or changing the distributor cap?

Are the spark plugs gaped right?

Is the timing set to specs?
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Possible timing CHAIN.

Did you change the points? Are they gaped correctly?

It the coil connected right?

Did you get the firing order right when changing the plug wires or changing the distributor cap?

Are the spark plugs gaped right?

Is the timing set to specs?
    What he said.

Backfire and low power at high speeds would point me toward timing, timing chain, and/or valves. Check your timing. Timing gear (nylon coated?) may be toast. How many miles on this thing?
    1963 Marauder S-55, Super Marauder 406
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.
    https://sites.google.com/a/wmich.edu/supermarauder/
    ______________________________ _____________

First retailed 2003 Marauder
    Bought 6 June 2002

Also check or replace the points condenser. I have in the past seen some strange things happen when the points condenser was flakey.

Probably a compression check is in order also.

Bob
    2004 SB #2150 of 3214 Moonroof, Heated Seats and 6 CD Changer. Non OEM Mufflers and 32,XXX miles and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastbob View Post
    Also check or replace the points condenser. I have in the past seen some strange things happen when the points condenser was flakey.

Probably a compression check is in order also.

Bob
    Condenser was already replaced.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Condenser was already replaced.
    Looks like I missed that. Figured it likely was replaced. Wonder if some of the young guys on here even know what a condenser looks like and what it does? LOL

Bob
    2004 SB #2150 of 3214 Moonroof, Heated Seats and 6 CD Changer. Non OEM Mufflers and 32,XXX miles and counting.

Looks like I missed that. Figured it likely was replaced. Wonder if some of the young guys on here even know what a condenser looks like and what it does? LOL

Bob
    Most would be hard pressed without a "code".
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Most would be hard pressed without a "code".
    LOL

It's got 132,000 on it. Yea I'm a youngster only 22 but I love old cars! Haha well my dad knows all about that so I'll have him look at it. Luckily it's easy to work on and fairly cheap but I'll check that stuff out. Thanks for the tips!

Points, point gap or coil. The points have to stay closed a certain amount of time for the coil to build up voltage. Then they open and the spark is discharged. Improper gap, or a weak point arm spring will weaken the spark at higher speeds because the coil doesn't get enough soak time. A failing coil will do the same because it can't build up fast enough. On every point equipped car I have I switched them over to a Pertonix electronic system. Never touched the points again. Only have to change distributor caps and rotor from time to time. I also got a Pertonix coil and painted the top yellow to look similiar to the Ford one. Tape the wires up and it is barely noticable it is installed. Much easier starting and smoother idle.
    His: Blue w/Light Flint Born 02/05/03 (Wednesday)
    6674 of 7838, Color sequence 102 of 327

1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    6 CD Changer in Trunk
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

Nephews: Blue w/Light Flint
    Born 02/05/03
    6673 of 7838, 101 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    Cars purchased 7 years apart, but are only 20 VIN numbers apart. Sequential units on the assembly line.

Hers: Black 300A w/Charcoal Born 06/25/02 (Tuesday)
    2011 of 7838
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Factory Alarm
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

#4 (Pound Rescue Marauder) 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    120 of 328 DBP 1 of 217 with heated seats.
    6705 of 7838 2003's
    Built Friday 02-07-2003
    Bought 09-10-2012

#5 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    136 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 W/O Heated Seats
    6741 of 7838 2003's
    Built Tuesday 02-11-2003
    Bought 05-06-14

If anybody here has used a Sun tune commercial Scope or Marquis scope[ Back in time] The scope pattern will show that the dwell may be correct but the electrical spike pattern will show fowled points and this will show up in acceleration and midrange power stumbling. the prior thread was right on point with the Pertronix system. I was a die hard that had to make the switch. Happy Motoring. from a Early retired Fo Mo Co Mechanic ,that Switched to Detroit Diesel ,Cummins back in the 80's
    Roger that

Assembled 8/25/03. In service 11/5/03.[Safford Lincoln Mercury] . Returned from Service to Dundalk Lincoln Mercury 7/12/11 Adopted and reassigned to Street Duty 7/29/11 .at Car Center [Waldorf Ford] /Waldorf MD. # 27 of 997 silver burch #103 of 3214 Sold Oct 17, 2015. Replaced with 2016 XLT Explorer with 3:66 gear 4WD [ interceptor package] In addition 2015 -V6 Mustang added to the corral April 17,2015 with Roush upgrades .February 2018 upgraded to Explorer Sport , Ford blue ,intake upgrade, intake mod, Unleashed super tune, Governor removed. 1969 Mark III ,Forest Green still in fleet. Carlisle favorite .

LOL Sun scope. Yup, I remember those days fading away when I first started working at 15. I miss the simple graphs and real tune ups.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
    "Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I reversed the coil + & - wires up one time by accident,the car ran okay around town but it wouldn't run worth a darn at 55 mph or over.
    Member #462
    2004 DTR II
    2005 H-D E Glide Classic
    2009 Super Glide Custom

"Come See a Fat Old Man Sometime"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlB7bz0TrZM

Bob
    I have no idea what the condenser is or what it does, but would like to know...
    To the original thread starter Im kinda a young guy myself, 34. I've had my 63 Fastback 390 marauder (monterey custom) about a year or so and you should listen to these guys, they really know their ****.

They have helped me more times than I can remember and i still beg for help every now and then and they always come through.

Just thought Id say that because I wasnt sure if you are new to the site or not. Post some pics man, we'd love to see the car, or at least i would.

A condenser is really a capacitor. It is round, approx. 1/2 " in diameter, roughly 2 inches long, has a short insulated wire with an electrical connection. It resides under the distributor cap and the electric "pigtail" connects to the 12 volt side of the points.

Condensers can be good, open, shorted or electrically leaky. Sometimes when bad they can cause pitting of the ignition contacts at the points. Modern electronic ignition does not use points. See the link for a better understanding and also do a google for "ignition points" or "ignition condenser".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_system
    http://www.smokstak.com/articles/capacitors.html

Hope this helps.

Bob
    Last edited by Fastbob; 12-02-2014 at 05:19 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information