Thread: vibration gasket between grille and hood

vibration gasket between grille and hood

Hello everyone

I have a question regarding vibration gasket that I've used between the grille and the hood on my Chevrolet Impala SS since about 1995.

GM Oshawa in Ontario had advised to use a type of vibration gasket between the two components to prevent the paint peeling/breaching that was occurring after a repaint. Since the vibration gasket was used the problem never returned.

As my car is in the body shop right now with new paint, and since the old gaskets were thrown away, we are trying to figure out what that type of gasket was.

I may call GM Oshawa to see if anyone may advise, however, I believe it to be a type of 2sided adhesive or gasket.

I don't know if 2sided tape attached to a type of gasket would be ideal or just to use two 2sided tapes together to be the actual vibration gasket.

One shop recommended weatherstriping of some sort.

I do believe, however, that without the actual (thin) weatherstriping in place, water may do damage (as 3M double sided tape isn't waterproof) and lead to diminishing the effectiveness of the material in place to prevent vibration which prevents paint breaching.

Maybe this should be posted in the Impala forums for better results. And I'm pretty sure Gm Oshawa will have no clue on the grille gasket of a 20 year old car. Try a GM forum for best result IMO
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Since I had 3 SS Impala's, I do know what your referring to. It ws sticky on one side and some type of foam. Not real sure where you could find that in the aftermarket. I would probably look to 3m or the aviation industry for a solution.

Let us know what you turn up, it could come in handy for other applications.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Most hardware or FLAPS will have some types of foam that is sticky on one side.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    Maybe this should be posted in the Impala forums for better results. And I'm pretty sure Gm Oshawa will have no clue on the grille gasket of a 20 year old car. Try a GM forum for best result IMO
    Oh RubberCityRauder, I have asked one Impala site but, thus far, no response.

this query is reasonable as it is posted in the OFF-TOPIC marauder unrelated criteria.

it really has nothing to do with an Impala SS and everything to do with automotive engineering. In fact, no one had this recommended modification on an Impala SS that I ever knew of, except for Spectragod, whom replied herein this thread. It is a general automotive question that could be utilized on various vehicles including a Marauder if needed.
    Last edited by Geo; 09-02-2015 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Most hardware or FLAPS will have some types of foam that is sticky on one side.
    That's interesting. What exactly do you mean by a hardware Flap?

I only meant it because it was an impala ss which only a few owned here so I figured not much info was going to pop here on such a specific question. You will prolly have fab your own out of close cell foam and 3m tape

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by Spectragod View Post
    Since I had 3 SS Impala's, I do know what your referring to. It ws sticky on one side and some type of foam. Not real sure where you could find that in the aftermarket. I would probably look to 3m or the aviation industry for a solution.

Let us know what you turn up, it could come in handy for other applications.
    It's nice to see someone else had this gasket installed between the grille and hood of an Impala SS. Did yours come that way when you acquired the vehicle? I'm curious how it would have gone in there as it was something that either GM or someone would have recommended as they weren't that way stock plus future orders for new TL4 Impala SS grilles, from GM, still don't come with that type of gasket.

I will take a look at 3M.

So you don't think two 2sided 3M tapes back to back only would be ideal;the foam material should be present for maximum vibration prevention and/or waterproofing?

FLAPS = friendly local auto parts store

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

FLAPS = friendly local auto parts store
    oh yes, of course

Body shop supply places might too have some options

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I only meant it because it was an impala ss which only a few owned here so I figured not much info was going to pop here on such a specific question. You will prolly have fab your own out of close cell foam and 3m tape
    okay great, I will recommend the close cell foam to the dealership's body shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    It's nice to see someone else had this gasket installed between the grille and hood of an Impala SS. Did yours come that way when you acquired the vehicle? I'm curious how it would have gone in there as it was something that either GM or someone would have recommended as they weren't that way stock plus future orders for new TL4 Impala SS grilles, from GM, still don't come with that type of gasket.

I will take a look at 3M.

So you don't think two 2sided 3M tapes back to back only would be ideal;the foam material should be present for maximum vibration prevention and/or waterproofing?
    The last SS I bought needed a grill, headlights, hood and core support. The foam in which you are referring to came with the grill assembly when I bought it. I remember thinking my other 2 didn't have it. I don't know if it was available as a separate part or only available with the grill.

Keep in mind, this was in 96', so it wasn't recent.

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Quote Originally Posted by Spectragod View Post
    The last SS I bought needed a grill, headlights, hood and core support. The foam in which you are referring to came with the grill assembly when I bought it. I remember thinking my other 2 didn't have it. I don't know if it was available as a separate part or only available with the grill.

Keep in mind, this was in 96', so it wasn't recent.
    that's cool

i've never seen the gasket come with the grille. perhaps GM started to offer it for a while but then stopped it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    that's cool

i've never seen the gasket come with the grille. perhaps GM started to offer it for a while but then stopped it.
    It wasn't included with a replacement grill, I remember the parts guy asking if I wanted it, I just confirmed yes, I had not seen it on my other 2 SS's, I just didn't want to have to wait for more parts of I didn't get everything on the first order. I do remember it took a month to get the steering wheel airbag.

Thread Information