Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer issue. Won't pass inspection. Need advice.

Computer issue. Won't pass inspection. Need advice.

New York State inspections are a PITA. That being said, I am having an issue that I could use some help with. My Marauder won't pass inspection because there are too many "monitors" in the computer that have not reset themselves. You are only allowed one and I have two showing. Both the Catalyst and the Evap system monitors are showing. I just need one of them to shut off. I have an SCT tuner with a few Marty tunes in it. I removed the tune and reset back to factory settings. I have driven 200 miles since. Stop and go, highway, you name it. All of the other monitors did their thing and shut down. Anyone have any tips or tricks ? Ever been through this before ?

FYI, the only non factory item's on my car are 4.10 gears and the previously mentioned tune that I removed. The engine and exhaust are totally stock.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.
    03 Black. #2824 of 7838. New motor. 4.10's. SCT with Marty tune.

Pm me your number.

If you put the factory tune back in it should pass. Mileage is one thing which you have already done, but the car needs to sit OFF for periods of time to reset something(might be the evap system). Drive it for a bit then let it sit for 12 hours, overnight should work.

A call to Marty at Mo's Speed Shop may also help shed some light. Recommend giving him a call.

I put the 200 miles on here and there over the last 10 days, so that's not it. Good thinking though and thanks for the input.

I pm'd my number Marty. When you have a few minutes to spare I would appreciate any thoughts you have.

Mileage has nothing to do with them being in ready state. Drive cycles are what gives you the green light. Search for Ford's monitor reset procedures. Not very easy unless you have the right kind of roads, but a quick way to get them to be ready.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thanks guys. Looks like I came to the right place for answers. I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a "monitor reset procedure". Here it is incase anyone else needs to know.

The following procedure is directly from Ford and designed to complete the OBDII monitors required to get your Ford to pass the OBDII Monitors portion of the smog check, also known of the I/M readiness test. The FORD OBDII Drive Cycle should be performed using a scan tool in order to speed up the drive cycle.

Drive Cycle Recommendations:

1.Most OBDII monitors will complete more readily using a "steady foot" driving style during cruise or acceleration modes. Operating the throttle in a "smooth" fashion will minimize the time required for monitor completion.

2.Fuel tank level should be between 1/2 and 3/4 fill with 3/4 fill being the most desirable.

3.The Evaporative Monitor can only operate during the first 30 minutes of engine operation. When executing the procedure for this monitor, stay in part throttle mode and drive in a smooth fashion to minimize "fuel slosh".

Drive Cycle Preparation - 1. Install scan tool. Turn key on with the engine off. Cycle key off, then on. Select appropriate Vehicle & Engine qualifier. Clear all DTC's/ Perform a PCM Reset. Begin to monitor the following PIDs: ECT, EVAPDC, FLI (if available) and TP MODE. Start vehicle WITHOUT returning to Key Off. Idle vehicle for 15 seconds, then drive at 40 MPH until ECT is at least 170°F.

Prep for Monitor Entry - 4. Is IAT within 40 to 100° F? If Not, complete the following steps but, note that step 14 will be required to "bypass" the Evap monitor.

HEGO Monitor - 5. Cruise at 40 MPH for up to 4 minutes.

EVAP Monitor - 6. Cruise at 45 to 65 MPH for 10 minutes (avoid sharp turns and hills) Note: To initiate the monitor TP MODE should =PT, EVAPDC must be >75%, and FLI must be between 15 and 85%

Catalyst Monitor - 7. Drive in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from 25 to 45 MPH over a 10 minute period.

EGR Monitor - 8. From a stop, accelerate to 45 MPH at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat 3 times.

SEC AIR/CCM (Engine) - 9. Bring the vehicle to a stop. Idle with transmission in drive (neutral for M/T) for 2 minutes.

CCM (Trans) - 10. For M/T, accelerate from 0 to 50 MPH, continue to step 11. For A/T, from a stop and in overdrive, moderately accelerate to 50 MPH and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop vehicle and repeat without overdrive to 40 MPH cruising for at least 30 seconds. While at 40 MPH, activate overdrive and accelerate to 50 MPH and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop for at least 20 seconds and repeat step 10 five times.

Misfire & Fuel Monitors - 11. From a stop, accelerate to 65 MPH. Decelerate at closed throttle until 40 MPH (no brakes). Repeat this 3 times.

Readiness Check - 12. Access the ON-Board System Readiness (OBDII monitor status) function on the scan tool. Determine whether all non-continuous monitors have completed. If not, go to step 13.

Pending Code Check and Evap Monitor "Bypass" Check - 13. With the scan tool, check for pending codes. Conduct normal repair procedures for any pending code concern. Otherwise, rerun any incomplete monitor. Note: If the EVAP monitor is not complete AND IAT was out of the 40 to 100° F temperature range in step #4, or the altitude is over 8000 ft., the Evap "bypass" procedure must be followed. Proceed to step 14.

Evap Monitor "Bypass" - 14. Park vehicle for a minimum of 8 hours. Repeat steps 2 through 12. DO NOT REPEAT STEP 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Stugotz View Post
    I put the 200 miles on here and there over the last 10 days, so that's not it. Good thinking though and thanks for the input.

I pm'd my number Marty. When you have a few minutes to spare I would appreciate any thoughts you have.
    I never got your PM.

Here's my cell 914-582-6262

you can reach me 8 to 8 eastern time. If you get my voicemail leave me a message and I'll call back.

Quote Originally Posted by Stugotz View Post
    Both the Catalyst and the Evap system monitors are showing. I just need one of them to shut off.
    I believe NY and MA use the same inspection parameters. If so, then you need the catalyst monitor to clear as that is not allowed to be "the one". Evap is pretty much always allowed to slide...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    I believe NY and MA use the same inspection parameters. If so, then you need the catalyst monitor to clear as that is not allowed to be "the one". Evap is pretty much always allowed to slide...

Yup! I always get a chuckle when people think any one monitor, especially the cat monitor, one of the most important. It should pretty much read only EVAP as it WON'T set if under 40*. Allowed one off... They act like they are giving in to help. More like they know that monitor won't reset in cold or hot climate. Nazis..

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I'm in Upstate NY and have a Trilogy Marauder with looks headers and high flow cats. I never swap tunes for inspection. I have no issues, ever. Got questioned on the two high flow cats vs the four that came on the car, but as long as they are there, good to go. If you don't have any check engine light or codes with the custom tune, just leave it. Every time you flash that ECU, you have to go through the reset process.
    Built: 3/16/2004
    Number 9,879 of 11,052 for Total Production
    Number 2,040 of 3,213 for 2004 Model Year
    Number 663 of 980 Dark Toreador Red Produced
    Dark Charcoal Interior - CD Changer - Heated Seats - Trunk Oganizer - Moonroof - Rear Deck Spoiler
    Trilogy S/C kit #224 installed August 2010
    Detroit Tru-Trac 31 spline with 4.10 gearset
    Must - Go - Faster !

Quote Originally Posted by Dragcity View Post
    I'm in Upstate NY and have a Trilogy Marauder with looks headers and high flow cats. I never swap tunes for inspection. I have no issues, ever. Got questioned on the two high flow cats vs the four that came on the car, but as long as they are there, good to go. If you don't have any check engine light or codes with the custom tune, just leave it. Every time you flash that ECU, you have to go through the reset process.
    I'm sure you will have problems soon. Most liberal states are moving to more and more strict standards, Illinois already began screwing over Ford performance car enthusiasts about 2 years ago.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'04 Marauder #357 of 3213 - Built and Eaton swapped - "MERCD"
    '21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '15 Mustang GT, performance package
    '01 BMW 740i M-Sport, manual swapped
    '97 Lincoln Town Car (black on black)
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

So I got it to pass. Only had a quarter tank of gas. filled the damn thing up and the EVAP monitor shut off almost immediately. I usually fill it up every time. Stopped at a gas station with high prices and was like "screw you gas guy. I'm only putting in $15." Yeah well, screw me, right in the EVAP monitor. The CAT monitor was the only one remaining and was allowed to be "the one". Im wondering if that has shut off since. Have to check that. Now that I got an education on this it will hopefully go smoother next time.

Not to be the wise guy... buy any VW dealer could get the computer to pass. Just saying!

Ha ! I don't know man. I think VW is going to have everything they touch red flagged forever. They're not touching my ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information