Thread: Speaker level inputs on aftermarket amp for factory radio

Speaker level inputs on aftermarket amp for factory radio

Eventually I will replace all stereo components but I'm on a limited budget. I have an amp/sub that I bought off craigslist. I read the "infinity basslink" how-to and know to pull the remote line from the factory amp/sub. My question is this: can I used the speaker wires (before factory amp) in the speaker level inputs on the aftermarket amp? I know that One would usually branch of the rear speaker wires but it seems like it should work off the speaker wires going into the factory amp.

Disclaimer: I have not even looked at the wiring harness going into the factory amp. I'm assuming that it didn't use rca cables so it seems like it would use speaker wire.

Get a wiring diagram. Remote wire to factory sub amp is in the loom. Interrupt or tap into it for your basslink. Yes, tap into the signal wires to the subwoofer amp in the trunk and run those into the low level inputs on your basslink. HTH
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

Quote Originally Posted by Davco View Post
    I know that One would usually branch of the rear speaker wires but it seems like it should work off the speaker wires going into the factory amp.
    In the Marauder, it would probably not be the best setup to tap into one of the rear speakers. My understanding is that the 4 regular speaker outputs are high-pass filtered with most of the low bass going to the subwoofer circuit.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    In the Marauder, it would probably not be the best setup to tap into one of the rear speakers. My understanding is that the 4 regular speaker outputs are high-pass filtered with most of the low bass going to the subwoofer circuit.
    I've read that also...and read the opposite. Welcome to the Internet. If it is true, is the high-pass built into the factory HU? Then I would wonder if the factory Escape HU's that people use in their marauders have the same built in high-pass to the rear speakers.
    I did some searching and think I've found a color chart for the wires going into the factory amp. I plan on using that for high level inputs going into my Alpine Amp.

Thread Information