Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Difference in Superchargers

Difference in Superchargers

I have been looking through a ton of pics of MM's and was wondering what the difference in SC's are?

On top of the engine (Eaton??) Air intake from Drivers side

Similar but air intake on Passengers side- Ford factory???

appears to have the air intake on top of the SC?

What are the differences in all these? May seem like simple questions but....
    Last edited by jay87lx; 08-27-2015 at 04:10 PM.

First off there are no Marauders that came from the factory.

Root type or screw type superchargers:
    S/C on the top of the engine & intake on the drivers side = a kit from Trilogy Motorsports specifically made for the Marauder.

S/C on the top of the engine & intake on the passengers side = a kit made up by collecting various Mustang and custom made parts.

Centrifugal type superchargers:

Hair dryer / snail on the front of the engine = a custom made kit or a kit pieced together by the owner.

There is also turbocharged Marauder(s) = all custom made / pieced together.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

First, wait for real experts on superchargers to answer. Until then, here is my layman knowledge (mostly via Google and my amateur homework).

I believe Eaton is a roots style

Whipple are screw type centrifugal

Vortech and Procharger are Centrifugal Type

http://www.superchargersonline.com/i...page=page&id=7

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post

Root type or screw type superchargers:
    S/C on the top of the engine & intake on the drivers side = a kit from Trilogy Motorsports specifically made for the Marauder.

S/C on the top of the engine & intake on the passengers side = a kit made up by collecting various Mustang and custom made parts.

Centrifugal type superchargers:

Hair dryer / snail on the front of the engine = a custom made kit or a kit pieced together by the owner.

There is also turbocharged Marauder(s) = all custom made / pieced together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowndex View Post
    First, wait for real experts on superchargers to answer. Until then, here is my layman knowledge (mostly via Google and my amateur homework).

I believe Eaton is a roots style

Whipple are screw type centrifugal

Vortech and Procharger are Centrifugal Type

http://www.superchargersonline.com/i...page=page&id=7
    Ohhhhhh ouchy! Lol oh no he didn't!
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Good topic

The roots style or screw style that sit on top of the engine are instant power when you mash the gas compared to the centrifugal type blowers that are basically a turbo wheel geared down and spun with a belt

The centrifugal blowers will gradually make more boost with more rpm. This makes it nice for traction, but that gut wrenching torque just isn't there

With the centrifugal blowers, you can over spin them to get more power down low, but you have to waste gate the air pressure so you have drivability. Yes people are venting air, then it closes the gate when you mash the pedal for much less lag in boost. Just google wastegated d1sc

All belt driven blowers use engine power to turn then, and when the belt starts to slip they make less boost

This is where a turbo,up to quadruple turbos shine is because they are free horsepower, they don't rob power from the engine to make more power

If it's forced inducted then I'm a fan of it

Jim. Your first sentence lol
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post

Geez Fastblackmerc, I know I am new here but damn, gimmie "some " credit-lol

First pic = Whipple
    Second pic= Roots M112
    Third pic = Trilogy
    Born 03/04
    Adopted on 01/03/05

2084 of 3213 & 691 of 983____Moonroof 185 of 335 of 1213

Now Procharger boosted #04

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    Good topic

The roots style or screw style that sit on top of the engine are instant power when you mash the gas compared to the centrifugal type blowers

The centrifugal blowers will gradually make more boost with more rpm. This makes it nice for traction, but that gut wrenching torque just isn't there

With the centrifugal blowers, you can over spin them to get more power down low, but you have to waste gate the air pressure so you have drivability. Yes people are venting air, then it closes the gate when you mash the pedal for much less lag in boost. Just google wastegated d1sc

My Procharger F1-a is nothing but neck snapping instant boost! (That never stops building)

So much so that it is truly a waste on the street. If you have a proper torque converter/or a manual trans like mine, gears, and a dialed in tune, you should be shredding your tires no matter the MPH.

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Can anyone else add pics of different SC setups on MM's that I am missing

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    My Procharger F1-a is nothing but neck snapping instant boost! (That never stops building)

So much so that it is truly a waste on the street. If you have a proper torque converter/or a manual trans like mine, gears, and a dialed in tune, you should be shredding your tires no matter the MPH.

Builder Of Badassery
    I was just about to respond to that post , clearly he hasn't been in the right centrifical car! I love to line up with a twin screw car , i let them have the first 50-60 feet then its all centri after that!
    When a centri is properly built there isn't much of a difference in acceleration
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post

Builder Of Badassery
    Put slicks on it at the track with a 2400 stall , or leave off idle with a stick and you will see and feel the difference between the two style blowers

What I posted I wasn't meaning you can't get rid of the boost lag on a centri, but compared to a roots style blower that won't need a converter to have that instant boost
    Centri needs a convertor like a turbo car
    My car leaves 11s on the pavement at 80mph with drag radials

I bet yours is fun too

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 Black 300a

04 Heaton Swapped DTR

When we test drove mine with three adults after the tune we lost traction at the 3rd gear shift and lost it again at around 5,500 @ 115 in 3rd LOL 1st and 2nd was just drifting.

Yeah, you can say she's fun!

As for leaving off idle, you win, but I could never force myself to do that! My cars get driven to their potential, no queens here.

I can't wait to run it. But I am FAR away from being track ready currently.

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Very cool! Glad we kinda schmoozed that over
    If I had talked about roots style blowers making tons of heat and a detriment to horsepower then I'd got my butt ripped from all those guys!

Jesus. Can't imagine if I mentioned methanol, the Unabomber may have come out of retirement !! Lol

Thanks for staying level headed

Current marauders

03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 Black 300a

04 Heaton Swapped DTR

Difference too is the size and the amount of psi it can produce. The bigger the blower the better the internal parts and supporting mods need to be
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Ok, again, I am a newb to SC's. Being that the 2003-04 SVT Mustangs came supercharged wouldn't it be an easy upgrade to get the parts from them?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information