Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: S/C'd Question - Experience Based Opinions Needed

Question S/C'd Question - Experience Based Opinions Needed

I've been thinking of going with some type of FI for my Marauder ever since I purchased it. However, price and effort required to source all the parts for an Eaton or even just an entry level centri has been more than enough to make me back down from the thought, at least for now.

So, as another option, I've been considering selling my MM that I have now and just buying another that's already S/C'd and ready to go. However, I love the fact that I bought my Marauder with only 62k on the clock. A year later I've brought that number to 78k which is still great for me. I've seen a few supercharged options, particularly eatons, with ~100k that are in my price range. For some reason though, selling a car with ~80k for a car with a little over 100k makes me cringe a little. However, the trade off is that I get a S/C'd car, ready to go.

Opinions? Experiences? Things to look for? Any particular problems that need to be addressed with high(er) mileage Eaton swaps? I'm a novice when it comes to the intricacies.

Thanks in advance.
    2003 Black 300A
    Adopted: 4/26/14

Mods:
    Mo's Tune - K&N CAI - 4.10 FOMOCO gears - Reische 170* T-stat - NGK TR6 Plugs - Flowmaster 40s - MuscleMerc's 3" Fuel Filter Mod - Addco Front and Rear Sway Bars - TCE SS Brake Lines - Cooper RS3-G1 - Factory Spoiler - SS Bumper Inserts

A 100,000 on a Marauder means it has only stretched its legs.

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

For some reason though, selling a car with ~80k for a car with a little over 100k makes me cringe a little.
    I would cringe also.

When buying another car with FI it's most likely been beat on and the build is already done.

Build it yourself and have options. Do it YOUR way.

Forget the Eaton, look for a Twin Screw!
    2004 Black Marauder: #2237 Born on 4/1/2004

Eaton Swapped and a bunch of other goodies!

Quote Originally Posted by loud2004marquis View Post
    I would cringe also.

When buying another car with FI it's most likely been beat on and the build is already done.

Build it yourself and have options. Do it YOUR way.

Forget the Eaton, look for a Twin Screw!
    Unfortunately, throwin that much money at the car is not much of an option right now.

I'm goin to look at one today with an Eaton. Looks super clean. I'll try and post pics later. In the mean time, anyone with experience, feel free to expound!
    2003 Black 300A

Mods:
    Mo's Tune - K&N CAI - 4.10 FOMOCO gears - Reische 170* T-stat - NGK TR6 Plugs - Flowmaster 40s - MuscleMerc's 3" Fuel Filter Mod - Addco Front and Rear Sway Bars - TCE SS Brake Lines - Cooper RS3-G1 - Factory Spoiler - SS Bumper Inserts

I bought a marauder as a DD upgrade from a CV Sport..within 7 months, bought a new, uninstalled vortech kit from a member and had it installed half a year later. My car had no other mods except metco control arms and fresh refinished factory wheels, factory brakes, exhaust, etc..bought it at 71,000 miles. A year and half later a 45,000 mile Trilogy came up here for sale..CA car moved to MN with zero winter driving, wildwood brakes up front, kooks ceramic coated headers, widened rear wheels, tce brake lines, dynotech driveshaft, 4.10 gears, forged, pistons and rods..needed tires and updated tune to a sct handheld rather than the chip style. ended up needing rear end rebuild due to spider grears chewed up so went with 31 spline. So bought it based on pics and member had been around for a long time (although not active last few years) I always wanted a trilogy/eaton and missed out on not buying martyO's trilogy whom now CDUB has with a whipple so I wasn't going to miss another one. It was scary but happy I did it now..took about 2 or so months and sold my vortech one to a non member who was 71 years old on autorader ad. he flew out and drove it home.

It would have cost me prolly $5-6 k to upgrade my vortech car with the upgrades that the trilogy car already had plus mine had been thru winter before I bought it and it started to show, underhood etc. The purchase of trilogy car was pretty much an even deal for what i sold my vortech car for, but I did have to add transport costs and additional upgrades to the trilogy car above the purchase and sell price but I have a much nicer car now.

It can go both ways..buy it done or build it as you like.
    Last edited by RubberCtyRauder; 04-18-2015 at 06:33 AM.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I've been tossing the same thoughts around in my head for a few months. At this point for me I am going to look at the kit that a dtr is developing. It seems like a better way for me to go as opposed to selling and finding a comparable boosted Marauder.

If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
    ~ Anatole France

2004 DTR 54k, Dark Charcoal, heated seats, moonroof, trunk organizer.
    Mods: K and N intake, Lido tune, Pro Guard rear bumper, stainless bumper inserts, res delete tips, misc
    UncleLar's first DTR

2004 Ford Crown Victoria Sport 100k, black, Dark Charcoal, stock and a zero option car.

My supercharged MM is for sale and has never been abused.

1. Black Sunshine (2003A F.I.T #3) (SOLD!)
    2. 2004 SAP P71 (Gone)
    3. The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow). (Sold)
    4. The 1998 P71 Jinbei. (Sold)
    5. 1990 5.7L IROC-Z (Sold)

Keeping a black car clean is not a hobby. It's a part-time job.

Support the troops.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    I bought a marauder as a DD upgrade from a CV Sport..within 7 months, bought a new, uninstalled vortech kit from a member and had it installed half a year later. My car had no other mods except metco control arms and fresh refinished factory wheels, factory brakes, exhaust, etc..bought it at 71,000 miles. A year and half later a 45,000 mile Trilogy came up here for sale..CA car moved to MN with zero winter driving, wildwood brakes up front, kooks ceramic coated headers, widened rear wheels, tce brake lines, dynotech driveshaft, 4.10 gears, forged, pistons and rods..needed tires and updated tune to a sct handheld rather than the chip style. ended up needing rear end rebuild due to spider grears chewed up so went with 31 spline. So bought it based on pics and member had been around for a long time (although not active last few years) I always wanted a trilogy/eaton and missed out on not buying martyO's trilogy whom now CDUB has with a whipple so I wasn't going to miss another one. It was scary but happy I did it now..took about 2 or so months and sold my vortech one to a non member who was 71 years old on autorader ad. he flew out and drove it home.

It would have cost me prolly $5-6 k to upgrade my vortech car with the upgrades that the trilogy car already had plus mine had been thru winter before I bought it and it started to show, underhood etc. The purchase of trilogy car was pretty much an even deal for what i sold my vortech car for, but I did have to add transport costs and additional upgrades to the trilogy car above the purchase and sell price but I have a much nicer car now.

It can go both ways..but it done or build it as you like.
    That's what I've been weighing. Even if I went centri and got a brand new kit from adtr, I'm still lookin at around 7k out of pocket to buy and install it. It would probably be around the same to source all eaton parts with install, plus the time it takes to get everything.

Only thing is, the car I'm lookin into has 105k. Not sure about the eaton. Carfax came up clean. From a dealer, not a private transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Embassy View Post
    My supercharged MM is for sale and has never been abused.
    And for a pretty penny too My MM right now is a DD. I don't think I could ever daily drive Black Sunshine as pretty as she is. Hurts me to think about...GLWS though!
    2003 Black 300A

Mods:

Eaton should be less, around $4k parts..around $1600ish install tune if not doing it yourself. ADTR ..pay it all upfront.. savings acct, credit card etc. eaton, buy as you have funds and can wait to install as well. I think I saw the one you are looking at thru the web..not sure if yours is paid for or not, but they will low ball you on a trade in or if you owe..you might be upside down on your loan. but it is a decent price for a sc one. So buy it and switch the parts to your lower miles one and make that one the factory one and resell it. still wont come out ahead but have your car with lower miles.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    Eaton should be less, around $4k parts..around $1600ish install tune if not doing it yourself. ADTR ..pay it all upfront.. savings acct, credit card etc. eaton, buy as you have funds and can wait to install as well. I think I saw the one you are looking at thru the web..not sure if yours is paid for or not, but they will low ball you on a trade in or if you owe..you might be upside down on your loan. but it is a decent price for a sc one. So buy it and switch the parts to your lower miles one and make that one the factory one and resell it. still wont come out ahead but have your car with lower miles.
    Mine's paid for. Wouldn't be trading if anything. Would possibly buy second one as well, sell first. OR, like you said, buy second one, swap out parts, sell higher mileage one. We'll see.

I checked it out, paint not that great. Lots of little cosmetic imperfections on exterior. Still need to check interior and what not.
    2003 Black 300A

Mods:

Blog Entries
    I would be very hesitant to buy a highly modified car, such as an S/C, that has not been down the 1/4 at least 6 times.

The 1/4 is controlled and documented that the car gets to go WOT for ~12 seconds.

Get one of these - you will get more attention and it will never allow you to abuse your Marauder;
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    You can't build a S/C car for what you can buy one for already done, and there are some extremely nice S/C cars that have not been beat on , Ebassys is a perfect example! try building his car , and see what you spend??
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Attachment 41329Attachment 41331Attachment 41332

Here are a few pics. Testing them as attachments first.

Wiring honestly looks messy. Alternator in a weird spot. COT looks like it has been modded to extend past pulley hub (welded in sections?). Heat shield on wrong side
    I told the guy who was selling it for someone else that it looks like whoever did the install just got it in there and functioning, not a very pretty or practical job...
    Anything glaring to anyone here? Ehhh...
    2003 Black 300A

Mods:

Its not yours unless you built it

But, buying it is cheaper..
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

2003 Black 300A

Mods:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information