Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Seat Question....

Car Seat Question....

ok,... as many of you know, I have a little girl on the way. Our first.

Which brings me to my question: which way is an infant car seat supposed to face? I've heard that you shouldn't face babies rearward, but, I've found alot of infant car seat that do just that.

Any help will be appreciated!!

valkyrie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrograde

Which brings me to my question: which way is an infant car seat supposed to face? I've heard that you shouldn't face babies rearward, but, I've found alot of infant car seat that do just that.

Petro, Up until a certain weight most states require a rear facing carseat. I believe it is up until 20lbs.

Here is a LOT of info on car seats...
    http://www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm

You could just visit KMart, WalMart, Target, ToysRUs, JCPenney, or Sears.
    I find that these stores have the newest seats available.

You will also find that the SAFEST place for a car seat is in the center of the rear seat.

Ask if a store will let you try out the car seat in your car to make sure it fits.
    If you aren't happy with the fit, what is the store's return policy,
    if you can't try it out first...

Good Luck !!!
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

Quote Originally Posted by valkyrie
    Petro, Up until a certain weight most states require a rear facing carseat. I believe it is up until 20lbs.
    This is from the NYS DMV.

Quote Originally Posted by New York State DMV
    Safety Restraints
    Are child safety seats required in New York State?

New York State law requires all children under four years old to ride in a safety seat. The safety seats must be certified according to Federal Motor Vehicles Safety Standard 213. Attach the safety seat to the car with the seat belt, and make sure that the child is in the safety seat securely.

How do I select the correct child safety seat?

To select the correct seat for your child, carefully read the recommendations of child safety seat manufacturers. The recommendations tell you what age weight and height a child can be to use the seat. The recommendations are normally printed on the outside of the seat package.

These examples can help you to select the correct child safety seat:

Infant seats are normally for infants that weigh approximately 22 pounds or less, are 25 inches or less in length, or are less than one year old. Face the infant seat toward the back of the vehicle. Never put an infant in the front seat of a vehicle that has a passenger-side air bag.
    Convertible child safety seats are normally for infants or toddlers that weigh approximately 40 pounds or less. For infants, face these seats toward the back of the vehicle. For toddlers more than one year old, you can change these seats to face the front of the vehicle. Follow the manufacturer's instructions to adjust the seat as the child increases in size.
    Booster seats are normally for children who have outgrown toddler seats. Booster seats are for children who are four to eight years old, who weigh 40 to 80 pounds, and who are less than four feet, nine inches in height. You can use a booster seat until an adult seat belt correctly fits the child without use of the booster seat. · Built-in child seats are available with some vehicle models. Built-in child seats fold away from the standard car seats. Do not use these seats for infants.
    Always read the manufacturer's instructions and the information about the use of child safety seats in your vehicle owner manual. Make sure you install and use the seats correctly at all times. Never use an infant seat in the front seat of a vehicle that has a passenger-side air bag. Remember to also buckle up the other passengers. Read more tips on the correct use of safety seats.

Can I use a child safety seat in a car with air bags?

Recent studies show that air bags can cause serious or fatal injuries to infants, children or small adults that sit in the passenger-side front seat.

Never put a child safety seat in the front seat of a vehicle and face it toward the rear of a vehicle if that vehicle has a passenger-side air bag.
    Do not put small children in the front seat of vehicle that has an air bag. Put a child that does not use a safety seat and who is less than five ft. in height in the back seat.
    If a child must ride in the front seat, make sure the car seat is installed as far back as possible. Fasten the child securely in the child safety seat or seat belt. An air bag that opens suddenly can cause a serious injury to your infant or young child.
    Air bags, used with seat belts, provide the best protection for older children and adults during an accident.
    Remember that the back seat is the safest location for children to ride. Read more tips on the correct use of safety seats.
    What is the seat belt law in New York State?

New York State law requires all front seat passengers to wear seat belts. Children less than age 16 must wear seat belts when they are in the front seat or the back seat. Children under the age of four must sit in certified safety seats. The penalty for a seat belt or car seat violation is a fine of up $50. If a safety seat conviction or a seat belt conviction includes a person under the age of 16, the driver receives a maximum fine of $100 and 3 points on the driver license record.
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

Joshua, Texas (between Burleson & Cleburne)
    Texas law is very much the same as above. Rear facing up to 25lbs and then front facing up to 40lbs. Center of vehicle is safest spot. No helmet required...

Quote Originally Posted by Petrograde

Best way to be certain is to check with your local LEOs. Most have programs on proper child seat installation. They are happy to help.

My understanding is that infants face the rear always. Once they reach toddler age of a certain weight, then they face forward in the seat. Should be in the installation instructions; but the LEOs know this stuff for your particular area.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Our state law here is up until 1 year they need to be rear-facing.

You will be very happy with the MM legroom - most cars will not allow a passenger in the front seat after you have to slide the seat up to accomodate a rear-facing child seat. Also, we have the latch system which makes taking the seat in/out a snap.

I put a full size towel down tucked into the top of the seat and covering all the way down to the floor, then placed the child seat on top of that. Some people have placed a wooden board underneath the child seat, wrapped in a towel or piece of leather. This works too. I was told it would slide around too much/won't be leve/etc. and you shouldn't do that, but it doesn't slide either way and the leveler says it's fine. I also have the passenger seat back to where it touches (not weighs on) the carseat so I know it isn't going anywhere.

I am waiting for the first comments on my muscle car that has a baby seat. Then I can smoke them and say "you got beat by a car with a baby seat in it."

-A
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

see this thread on baby seats. General rule is backward facing until they are at least 20lbs AND 1 year old. (at least in Illinois)

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...***.php?t=7319

Here are some other links pertaining to the topic........

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...ldps/index.cfm

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...dPassenger.pdf

We've got 2 carseats in the back of the MM. One forward and one backward. I'd suggest looking for one that uses the LATCH system. It will snap right into the anchors located between the seat & the backrest, and you don't have to mess with the seatbelts.

Chris
    '03 Marauder 300A
    35% llumar tint
    '04 F150 Supercrew FX4
    Triton 5.4L
    Pwr moonroof & rear slider
    Limited slip 3.73 rear axle & tow package
    Rhinoliner
    Swiss fiberglass lid

Oh, also at the hospital they offered a free class on baby care and carseats, inclusing CPR, everyday stuff (even how to change diapers). Take advantage of these. We just had our first in May, and they were invaluable. Ours came early so I was assembling and installing the baby seat in the MM while wife and baby were asleep the first day. The nurse actually came out to help.

They love this stuff - I bet you'll find a matronly type that would love to talk your ear off about this stuff. I bet every hospital has one.

-A
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

BlackBeauty Guest
    Congrats! I have a baby girl due in august as well. Our 1st too. Here in Denver you can go to any police or fire station and have someone inspect, and if needs be reinstall the car seat. They say something like 90% are not installed correctly.

yep....

REAR facing until 1 yr old AND 20 lbs. The latch system in our cars works great. I had to buy a new car seat at 10 months because the boy outgrew the one we had. We ended up with the BRITAX - it's rated as one of the safest. Now, at 14½ months of age, he faces the front and loves every minute of it.

While your baby is facing rear you may want to get a mirror to attach to the back window so you can see her face while you drive.

Ge a 'tavel system' consisting of 3 parts - a stroller, a base [stays mounted in the car, and a car seat. The car seat has a handle and you can move it from the stoller to the car without waking up the baby. It snaps into the base for car travel, then snaps into the stroller for strolling.

Unfortunately, she will eventually grow out of the car seat, hence the need to buy a dedicated car seat that stays in the car at all times. Also, these travel systems are mostly made of plastic and do do last more than one year... Then you need to buy a 'real' stroller'!

Wow! Thanks everyone! MM.net comes through again!

Just got back from the baby check with the pediatrician. Lucy was born May 7th at 6# 5oz. Today she is 12# 6oz.

She started small and now she is over the 90th percentile in weight.

I don't think the 20# is going to be a problem when she reaches 1 year.

-A

Petrograde,

Get yourself a "Mighty Tite". I found it at Babies R Us. It's a little device that helps to crank down that carseat REALLY tight in the seat. Once installed properly, the carseat does NOT move at all. I would NEVER use a carseat without one of those devices again.

using a good car seat base and the LATCH system, you will very easily be able to tighten the base to your car without the assistance of an external device.

Incidently, I always make my wife ride in the backseat right next to the baby when we travele togehter. I did this while she was pregnant too - i didnt want the airbag going off and hurting the unborn baby.

In fact, she rarely gets to sit in the front seat!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information