Thread: Marauder Tuning

Marauder Tuning

Some of you have the SCT pro racer's package? Have you done anything with the MAF? The factory MAF curve has poorly distributed calibration points and the adaptive fuel table is calibrated to learn at just a few points on this curve. I rewrote the curve and cal'd the adaptive table to learn at all points.

Here's a comparison between the factory MAF curve and the one I constructed.

Mitch
    Attached Files Attached Files

Umm Looks More Gooder to me. Is this done through the tune or a new MAF would need to be installed?

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened300a
    Umm Looks More Gooder to me. Is this done through the tune or a new MAF would need to be installed?
    The new curve is for the stock MAF. The curve is more accurate because the calibration points are more evenly distributed.

Mitch

Question MAF curve

Quote Originally Posted by MitchB
    Some of you have the SCT pro racer's package? Have you done anything with the MAF? The factory MAF curve has poorly distributed calibration points and the adaptive fuel table is calibrated to learn at just a few points on this curve. I rewrote the curve and cal'd the adaptive table to learn at all points.

Mitch
    I think I understand the concept but beyond that is a mystery. Anyone have time and patience enough to explain to this newbie? Thanks. My DTR was under excellent foster care by member Al Gogeun before adoption recently. It has a SCT 9100 tuner, 4.10's, UP's, rear sway bar, flowmaster 40's and 180 Stat and plugs among other STUFF Al had upgraded the car with. I have added a CAI (hense my interest in effect on MAF?) and some other bling. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks Dennis

Hey

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrauder
    I think I understand the concept but beyond that is a mystery. Anyone have time and patience enough to explain to this newbie? Thanks. My DTR was under excellent foster care by member Al Gogeun before adoption recently. It has a SCT 9100 tuner, 4.10's, UP's, rear sway bar, flowmaster 40's and 180 Stat and plugs among other STUFF Al had upgraded the car with. I have added a CAI (hense my interest in effect on MAF?) and some other bling. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks Dennis
    Hey Dennis! Way to go... Next a Supercharger????? LOL It would make
    a big difference.
    2004 DTR Marauder 300A
    4:10's
    Underdrive Pulleys
    Plugs and 180 Stat
    Sway bar
    6 CD changer in trunk
    Maruader badges
    Flowmaster 40's
    Bob Whites Cobalt inserts
    Took delivery 8/12/04 Jerret Ford Dade City car
    was born May 2004.
    SCT 9100
    Pin stripes
    Police Intercepter badge
    Trunk Organizer
    ABOVE SOLD

Now have a 2004 Mustang Convertable GT
    Flowmasters
    DGW short shifter
    BBK X-pipe O/R
    BBk CAI
    Lowered 1.5 inches
    Chrome Cobra R's with 275-40-17 rear, 255-4-17 front.
    3:73 gears
    Superchips tuner

Quote Originally Posted by MitchB

Mitch
    Mitch the most critical part of the tune is Mas air flow transfer function, the only time this is changed is to correct air fuel when the adaptive learning is turned off, and you are monitoring and or graphing AF.

The function you are using changes Maf counts, as well as #MIN normally during tuning you calculate the changes needed to correct AF in the #MIN Once air fuel is corrected adaptive is turned back on, and the EEC will learn on its own as long as you have the AF relatively close.

This graph actually helps confirms that the the #Min is linear. Now unless you are mapping AF with a wide band, you can make a serious mistake if you lean the car out you will destroy the engine, the same thing can happen if the car is to rich then you will wash the oil out of the rings causing premature piston wear and scuffing.

The stock marauder Mas air flow transfer rarely needs much adjustment unless the car is SC or has a cold air kit on it, other than that I would leave it alone unless the car was on a Dyno mapping AF, yes a stock Marauder transfer function can be leaned and the car can gain power since the function is richer set by the factory so again tuning is a wonderful thing.
    Last edited by Dennis Reinhart; 09-03-2005 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typo

After writing the new MAF curve, I datalogged A/F with a wideband (adaptive off) to get things close. Then with the adaptive fuel table recalled to learn at all points, I looked at the long term fuel trims. Last I looked, the max trim anywhere on the curve was less than 3% and closer to 1% at most points.

The reason for reconstructing the curve is to get the calibration points more evenly distributed. This gives greater accuracy rather than having groups of points clustered in a few places. This is not mandatory, but ultimately gives better resolution.

Mitch

Talking Hi Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Goguen
    Hey Dennis! Way to go... Next a Supercharger????? LOL It would make
    a big difference.
    Al, I am really enjoying the car. Hope you like the GT as well. I am really tempted by the Labor Day Deal SC deal that Greg has but am hesitant as I don't as yet know enough about any of this STUFF. I guess I will keep reading for awhile? Dennis
    Last edited by Hotrauder; 09-04-2005 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrauder
    Al, I am really enjoying the car. Hope you like the GT as well. I am really tempted by the Labor Day Deal SC deal that Eric has but am hesitant as I don't as yet know enough about any of this STUFF. I will keep reading! Dennis
    Well I will help any way I can why not give me a call Tuesday.

Thumbs up Nice Invite

Well I will help any way I can why not give me a call Tuesday.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Hello, I would be grateful for a chance to bounce this around a little. Thanks, Dennis. I have learned a lot from your many informative posts and with a little background I may even eventually understand what I know.

I have the 03 Marauder air intake box assembly and I don't think the low end was tuned for a 00 Crown Vic.

I'm interested in adjusting the MAF for more efficient operation at zero to light/part throttle.

Thread Information