Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy Crap, I Passed Emissions!

Holy Crap, I Passed Emissions!

Over the past few months my CEL's been on, ever since I had my engine rebuilt. I posted many questions on here, and got a lot of good advice. Some of you might know my story, but I'll run through it real fast.

In April, after I got back from Louisville, I had my motor rebuilt. About 10mins after I left, the CEL comes on. I didn't want to bring it back to these hacks, so I figured I'd take care of it. When I scanned the code I got, P0135, and, P2195. They both were pointing me to the O2 sensor, Bank 1, Sensor 1. So I had the O2 sensor replaced. 10mins after picking it up, CEL comes on. I read on a post here, saying you need to replace it with a Motorcraft. Well, it wasn't a Motorcraft, so I tried that route, and got the same scenario. It was pointed out to me, that I had a wire issue going on. I was really praying it wasn't, because I knew it was somewhere I couldn't see.

Now, every once in awhile I'd get a P0171, and a P0174, (Vacuum leaks). They were never on at the same time, at first, and didn't really appear till I changed my air filter. So I'd check my CAI and make sure everything was tight, readjust, and retighten, clear the codes, and I wouldn't see either of them for awhile.

A little over a week ago, a new code popped up, P0355, and the car wasn't right. I found out it was a bad coil in cylinder #5. Bought a new coil, put it in, cleared the code, and 10mins later the lights back on, and its running like crap again. Change the plug, with the new coil, runs good for 10mins, then back to crap. I finally had enough! I give up! I'll let a professional take car of it!

Brought it to a Ford stealership, for them to figure everything out, and bring my baby back to life! They ran all kinds of tests, and here's what they found. I had P0325, P0326, P0135, P0171, P0174, and P0355. The first two codes are the knock sensors. The mechanic put new ones in, and found the wire that was broke. He said, it looked like it got pinched between the engine and the trans. He cleared the codes, and P0171, and P0174 were still there. So he did a smoke test of some sort, where he put this hose in the PCV tube, going into the plenum. There was a small amount of smoke coming out of the CAI, but a whole lot coming from behind the engine. This is what they found.

I honestly have no idea where this was, but from where I saw the smoke coming from, it was behind the engine on the drivers side. The mechanic said, that whoever put the engine in, must have broke the line, and used this set up, to try to make it work. Now I'm not sure how well you can see the picture. But it's a electrical connector, that they used! I think he said it was a but, or bunt connector. Basically, you crimp the wires together in the center, and you can use a lighter, to melt the ends to the wires. Why wouldn't it work? I mean, it's not like the engine gets hot or anything. I said these guys were hacks!

Ok, the point of my post! I had until the end of August to go for emissions, and for a new license plate sticker. When I left the dealership Thursday night, with my MM purring like a kitten, I asked the mechanic when I should be able to go for emissions, and he told me, a week. A WEEK! So I figured I would have to go the Dom way, and get a waiver. I drove the MM about 70 miles yesterday, and about ten today, and went to the emissions center. I told the guy it probably wouldn't pass, showed him my receipt for repairs, and told him it just got outta the shop on Thursday. He said, You gotta have faith man! Less than 5mins later, he said I passed. I PASSED? You can't imagine how big of a smile I had on my face! The first thing I did after I left there, was go home and re-install my tune. It was a good day, I didn't have to use my AK.

Thank You, and have a good night. I'll be here all week.
    Buying things I don't need, with money I don't have, to impress people I don't know!!!
    Production #1489 of 3213/#516 of 997

Great story and glad you passed man! Sounds like you have some work to do now before your next emissions but you have some time
    2003 Trilogy Supercharged Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Mebot View Post
    Great story and glad you passed man! Sounds like you have some work to do now before your next emissions but you have some time
    What work? Everything was fixed. You don't want to know how much it cost for everything to work right! What really surprised me, was that I passed emissions in less than two days of having the work done, and the codes cleared. It's been a nightmare trying to figure out why I was getting this code, or that code, what I needed to replace next, etc., etc.. I think I'll go to brakes next. Let's see what I can f*** up! Well, after I replace the air compressor for the air ride. That took a crap after it left the shop!
    Last edited by champ1173; 08-31-2014 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Because I said so!!!!
    Buying things I don't need, with money I don't have, to impress people I don't know!!!

Sounds like they did a test for a vacuum leak and that rubber connector looks like where a vacuum line connects right behind the engine on the firewall towards the driver's side in a plastic manifold block. If they forgot to unplug it or shifted the engine too far back when pulling it they could have broke it. It is made out of plastic. The line can get pretty brittle over the years from engine heat.

Sounds like a pretty good dealer with a good diagnostic mechanic to take the time to find it. A lot of "mechanics" if the code doesn't tell them what part to replace they are lost.

Good info for the rest of us too. Thanks for sharing!
    His: Blue w/Light Flint Born 02/05/03 (Wednesday)
    6674 of 7838, Color sequence 102 of 327

1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    6 CD Changer in Trunk
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

Nephews: Blue w/Light Flint
    Born 02/05/03
    6673 of 7838, 101 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    Cars purchased 7 years apart, but are only 20 VIN numbers apart. Sequential units on the assembly line.

Hers: Black 300A w/Charcoal Born 06/25/02 (Tuesday)
    2011 of 7838
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Factory Alarm
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

#4 (Pound Rescue Marauder) 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    120 of 328 DBP 1 of 217 with heated seats.
    6705 of 7838 2003's
    Built Friday 02-07-2003
    Bought 09-10-2012

#5 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    136 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 W/O Heated Seats
    6741 of 7838 2003's
    Built Tuesday 02-11-2003
    Bought 05-06-14

Quote Originally Posted by vegasmarauder View Post
    Sounds like they did a test for a vacuum leak and that rubber connector looks like where a vacuum line connects right behind the engine on the firewall towards the driver's side in a plastic manifold block. If they forgot to unplug it or shifted the engine too far back when pulling it they could have broke it. It is made out of plastic. The line can get pretty brittle over the years from engine heat.

Sounds like a pretty good dealer with a good diagnostic mechanic to take the time to find it. A lot of "mechanics" if the code doesn't tell them what part to replace they are lost.

Good info for the rest of us too. Thanks for sharing!
    Plastic manifold block sounds about right to me. The mechanic said it had 3 lines going into it. I figure the guys who pulled, and installed the engine were the culprits! It was a crazy situation with the rebuild. The shop my buddy suggested to me, where he supposedly brings all his cars, rebuilt the engine. The shop across from them, who they're buddys with, pulled and installed the engine. Didn't know this till I went to pick up the car. They said it would be done on Wed, and I could pick it up on Thurs. So I go there on Thurs to get it, and I don't see her anywhere, or anyone in the shop! WTF? Finally I see one of the mechanics across the street. He waves me over and says the cars in there, the motors in, but they're not finished. So I look at they're progress, and notice that the coil covers are reversed. Passenger side on the drivers side, vice versa. When I pointed it out to them, they said, Yeah, we know. THEY WERE TIGHTENED DOWN! How do you f*** that up? You can't match the same pattern? There was a clear as day gap, showing you that you had it on wrong! I didn't say that to them. I should've, but I just wanted my MM back. That was a clear sign, of what was to come. I had a bad feeling about the whole ordeal, and that didn't help.
    The mechanic was pretty cool, and explained a lot to me. He said he's been doing this for 15yrs, had a Mustang, showed me pictures, and that he just worked on another Marauder a few days before mine. I could've choked him, when I saw my engine. Filthy! Oily handprints on the plenum, CAI, windshield washer reservoir, valve covers, everything! Chipped the paint off one of the valve covers. Lost one of the plastic hood insulator clips, and broke another. Am I expecting to much? Maybe a little bit of cleanliness? Maybe, at least telling me he broke a couple of clips, he'll order me replacements, something!
    This is how it looked going in to the Dealership. I should've took a picture of how it looked when I got it back, but I cleaned it right away.

IDK? Maybe I shouldn't complain, and just be happy it's running right, and I passed emissions. Everything happens for a reason, Right?

Damn dude. That is one nice engine compartment! Something I have tried over and over again and can't get right..

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
    "Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Damn dude. That is one nice engine compartment! Something I have tried over and over again and can't get right..

"Since 2004"
    This coming from they guy who put a 6 speed in, on top of having a Trilogy! Thanks! That's right, you didn't get to really see my engine, at White Castles, before the rain hit. But now you can understand how I felt, when I saw oil everywhere. Oh, and it looks a lot better in pictures. I was actually upset that I didn't get a picture of yours, or the 6 speed.
    Last edited by champ1173; 08-31-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks, I appreciate that, but in the end it's just fabbing, welding, a crap load of research and trial and error, and quite frankly just tightening bolts.

Even with all my OCD, and I have way too much... Getting an engine bay to look stunning has never been easy for me. Especially currently with that dumb exhaust wrap all over my fuel rails! But at least it hasn't stalled when it's hot out since. Can't wait to get ProCharged! My pick up could have paced this POS last Friday she had so much added fuel and retarded timing! Eatons SUCK in the heat!!!

"Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I take it that was your car at Roesch last week when I had mine there?

Glad they fixed the problem. I know the service director and Supervising head mechanic. Both good people. If you want their names shoot me a PM for the info.
    300A
    Build Date 8/2002
    Procharger #23 upgraded to 16 lbs O'Boost
    Zack Motors E-85/93 engine build
    4149 of 7839
    34,500 miles
    4:10 Gears
    Detroit Tru-Trac
    P.I. Torque Converter
    Tuned by Tim Barth at Mr. Norms

Quote Originally Posted by da'law View Post
    I take it that was your car at Roesch last week when I had mine there?

Glad they fixed the problem. I know the service director and Supervising head mechanic. Both good people. If you want their names shoot me a PM for the info.
    Yup, that was me. It must have been yours. The mechanic said the Marauder he worked on was supercharged. I think he said something about the air suspension compressor? He told me this, after I saw my engine, and I thought to ask him, if he left yours that way too. I highly doubt it! I kinda said something to Robert Waters, but he didn't really seem to give a crap. Did they detail yours after?

Quote Originally Posted by champ1173 View Post
    What work? Everything was fixed. You don't want to know how much it cost for everything to work right! What really surprised me, was that I passed emissions in less than two days of having the work done, and the codes cleared. It's been a nightmare trying to figure out why I was getting this code, or that code, what I needed to replace next, etc., etc.. I think I'll go to brakes next. Let's see what I can f*** up! Well, after I replace the air compressor for the air ride. That took a crap after it left the shop!
    You should be able to pass the test in about 15 minutes after clearing the codes assuming the ambient temps and fuel level are in the right range to run the EVAP test. You just have to follow the right drive cycle.

You might want to look for your battery cable to the starter and reclip it to the cam cover studs before it's loom and coating melt on the exhaust.

And I agree with Bob, no matter what I do my engine bay is never that clean.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    You might want to look for your battery cable to the starter and reclip it to the cam cover studs before it's loom and coating melt on the exhaust.

LOL! I was talking to VMARAUDER about that a few weeks ago. Remember I said that the guys who installed the engine were hacks? Well, 2 of those studs are suppose to be in the front of the cam covers, on the passenger side, but they're not. Though, they got the drivers side right. (I think there was a person on each side, putting it back together) You think they would've noticed the clips, not clipping into anything. The clip your talking about, is actually sitting on a stud in the back of the cam cover, by the firewall. I've been meaning to move it, and clip that back. I'm gonna make it right today.

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post

Fixed it! That's been bothering me, every since they put the engine in. I took me till this weekend to get a 13mm deep well. I had planned on doing it this weekend anyways. Do you see my chip? About the size of a quarter!

New pulleys are planned here soon, (Probably Steeda) and new shiny bolts, & studs for the cam covers, and plenum. That was the other reason it's taken me awhile to fix that. I was gonna do it when I got the new bolts, & studs, but other stuff came up. Hopefully before Marauderville.

No detail, it would have been wasted as I got caught in a storm on the way home Saturday. Mine was in for basic fluid changes and the LCM replacement(which they had to order as they were out of stock). The mechanic I use there(he used to work at Schaumburg Ford where I used to take it) always takes good care of it, which is why I followed him over to Roesch. That says something as live 3.5 miles from Schaumburg Ford, but drive 20 miles to use his services.

Quote Originally Posted by champ1173 View Post
    Yup, that was me. It must have been yours. The mechanic said the Marauder he worked on was supercharged. I think he said something about the air suspension compressor? He told me this, after I saw my engine, and I thought to ask him, if he left yours that way too. I highly doubt it! I kinda said something to Robert Waters, but he didn't really seem to give a crap. Did they detail yours after?
    300A
    Build Date 8/2002
    Procharger #23 upgraded to 16 lbs O'Boost
    Zack Motors E-85/93 engine build
    4149 of 7839
    34,500 miles
    4:10 Gears
    Detroit Tru-Trac
    P.I. Torque Converter
    Tuned by Tim Barth at Mr. Norms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information