Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlight adjustment

Headlight adjustment

After 2 tries, the dealer still hasn't been able to aim my headlights where I want them. The Fog lights hit the ground 5 feet in front of the car ? Does anyone have the directions for do-it-yourself headlight and fog light adjustment----sure would appreciate any help, Maury
    2003 MM 300B Black
    Born 11/12/02 Adopted 3/29/03
    "SHADOW"
    Hood Ornament

Lightbulb Can't See!

Hey Maury,

I believe the fog lamps have no adjustment.the headlamps are aimed differently right from left. Drivers side is not aimed as high as passenger side.what are you trying to accomplish?
    Bradley G
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzer
    After 2 tries, the dealer still hasn't been able to aim my headlights where I want them. The Fog lights hit the ground 5 feet in front of the car ? Does anyone have the directions for do-it-yourself headlight and fog light adjustment----sure would appreciate any help, Maury
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

In the Dark

Not sure about the headlights. I did, however, read a thread on a deflector in the fogs that can be removed giving greater light distance?
    Tomorrow morning, I take my car to the body shop for a facelift due to the accident I was in two weeks ago. I will ask the shop foreman how this is done.
    The below pics are of the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs that are very, very bright. They will be going in mine today/tomorrow. Gonna try and "bribe" the body shop to put in the fog bulbs since the fascia is being replaced.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MM2004; 01-30-2005 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Pics Added

Overdriving lights

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley G
    Hey Maury,

I believe the fog lamps have no adjustment.the headlamps are aimed differently right from left. Drivers side is not aimed as high as passenger side.what are you trying to accomplish?
    Bradley G
    Brad, my headlights are only giving object recognition illumination for about 100 feet in front of my car--the right light is illuminating the center stripe on a 2 lane road and my left light is straight ahead--at any speed over 30 mph, I am overdriving my lights---my '99 GM has perfect adjustment---not high enough to bother guy ahead in rear view, but gives good distance illumination---left light aims straight ahead and right light illuminates about 15 ft of the shoulder--excellent for 50 or so at night--I am considering bright-stars--will check them out. Old eyes need all the light they can get , but I will not give the guy in front of me any problems. I plan to match the MM to the '99. Thanks, Maury
    2003 MM 300B Black
    "SHADOW"
    Hood Ornament

Question Headlamp Woes

I am overdriving my lights---my '99 GM has perfect adjustment---Quote
    That explains it!, YouR Marauder is so fast that the headlamps can't keep up!
    Bradley G
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

Lightbulb

This guide is for '98 to present Vics and GMs. It should be relevant for Marauders.

1). Remove plastic shroud (the one with the three plastic retainer tabs under the hood)
    2). Pull the 4 metal tabs from the headlamp assemblies. You will need to use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to remove them. Stick one of the noses into the tiny hole on the top of the tab and pull them out.
    3). Catch the lamp assemblies.
    4). Use a 1/4" ratchet with a 5/32" socket and place it over the metal shaft (with the threads) on the topmost knob. This is the one on top of the smaller knob (you do not need to touch the knob that is by itself).
    5). Set the ratchet to loosen, and grib the plastic knob with the pliers. Start ratcheting while holding the knob still. Let the knob go down a few threads.
    6). Reassemble but do not lock the metal tabs, use them to secure it for aiming purposes.
    7). Turn on the low beams and see if it hits the target (25 ft standard procedure).
    8). Re-do until it hits, repeat procedure for other lamp.
    9). Use the this diagram:

http://www.redpulsar.us/~coldfusion/adjustment.jpg

Source:
    http://www.redpulsar.us/~coldfusion/CrownVic.html#mods

This tool will make the job much easier:
    http://www.bobstools.net/Store/LS14540.html

1. Black Sunshine (2003A F.I.T #3) (SOLD!)
    2. 2004 SAP P71 (Gone)
    3. The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow). (Sold)
    4. The 1998 P71 Jinbei. (Sold)
    5. 1990 5.7L IROC-Z (Sold)

Keeping a black car clean is not a hobby. It's a part-time job.

Support the troops.

Quote Originally Posted by MM2004
    The below pics are of the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs that are very, very bright. They will be going in mine today/tomorrow.
    Good choice, Mike...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Embassy
    This guide is for '98 to present Vics and GMs. It should be relevant for Marauders.

1). Remove plastic shroud (the one with the three plastic retainer tabs under the hood)
    2). Pull the 4 metal tabs from the headlamp assemblies. You will need to use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to remove them. Stick one of the noses into the tiny hole on the top of the tab and pull them out.
    3). Catch the lamp assemblies.
    4). Use a 1/4" ratchet with a 5/32" socket and place it over the metal shaft (with the threads) on the topmost knob. This is the one on top of the smaller knob (you do not need to touch the knob that is by itself).
    5). Set the ratchet to loosen, and grib the plastic knob with the pliers. Start ratcheting while holding the knob still. Let the knob go down a few threads.
    6). Reassemble but do not lock the metal tabs, use them to secure it for aiming purposes.
    7). Turn on the low beams and see if it hits the target (25 ft standard procedure).
    8). Re-do until it hits, repeat procedure for other lamp.
    9). Use the this diagram:

http://www.redpulsar.us/~coldfusion/adjustment.jpg

Source:
    http://www.redpulsar.us/~coldfusion/CrownVic.html#mods

This tool will make the job much easier:
    http://www.bobstools.net/Store/LS14540.html
    Thanks, Embassy---I'll try it later this week---I am really frustrated with the way dealers adjust headlights here in Texas--have never had them right---either scaring the birds or looking at the ground in front of the car--I've rigged my own targets by adjusting my lights by actually following my daughter's car while she tells me by cell phone if they are too high---again thanks, Maury
    2003 MM 300B Black
    "SHADOW"
    Hood Ornament

I adjusted my headlamps myself because my experience of what the books say, recommended procedures, aiming tools, etcetera have always tended to confuse the basic premise of headlamp aiming, that the lowbeams don't shine in the eyes of oncoming drivers.

The owners manual was actually very good and had a simple procedure outlined that I have used for years.

Use a piece of tape to mark the height of the headlamp beam where it hits a wall with your bumper an inch away. Back the car away about thirty feet and if the lamps are higher, lower them, if they're lower, raise them, to about an inch below the tape. There is no left/right adjustment. At this rate of decline they'll be ten inches lower at 300 feet. All this assuming a flat driveway.

I noted that my headlamp assembly shines a rectangular stepped beam, like wide stairs going up from left to right with the right step about an inch higher so I used a piece of cardboard to block off the left light, adjusted the right one so the higher step was just under the line and then adjusted the left lamp so it looked like there were three steps. This gives me a good pattern with the best view of the shoulder without blinding the other drivers. I've never had anybody flash me.

As for the foglamps, I kinda like the fact they shine on the dark area under the lowbeams. Try to remember, they're foglamps. Ever see a guy with those bolted-under-the-bumper aftermarket foglamps on his truck and he seems to think it doesn't matter that they shine in your eyes? I hate those morons. Hence, I don't try to emulate them.

Quote Originally Posted by David Morton
    I adjusted my headlamps myself because my experience of what the books say, recommended procedures, aiming tools, etcetera have always tended to confuse the basic premise of headlamp aiming, that the lowbeams don't shine in the eyes of oncoming drivers.

The owners manual was actually very good and had a simple procedure outlined that I have used for years.

Use a piece of tape to mark the height of the headlamp beam where it hits a wall with your bumper an inch away. Back the car away about thirty feet and if the lamps are higher, lower them, if they're lower, raise them, to about an inch below the tape. There is no left/right adjustment. At this rate of decline they'll be ten inches lower at 300 feet. All this assuming a flat driveway.
    The high school near my buddy's house has a flat stretch of parking lot and someone has painted a grid on the wall for aligning headlights. My buddy says that it has been there for over ten years and everyone in the area uses it.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

Maury,
    Try laying off the sauce for a while.

If I'm not mistaken, the procedure for do-it-yourself head light adjustment is in the owner's manual. I remember adjusting mine over a year ago. The fog lamp housings do have an ajustment screw also.
    "Bought them to drive on the parkway, not park in the driveway."

Ol' Black I (aka: The Beast)
    2003 MM 300A
    born 08/07/02, bought on 10/01/02,
    expired 4/17/07 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=35570) but not retired.
    Revived 8/3/08, 660RWHP, 547LBTQ

Ol' Black II (aka: Beauty)
    2003 MM 300A
    bought on 5/14/2007

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley G
    I am overdriving my lights---my '99 GM has perfect adjustment---Quote
    That explains it!, YouR Marauder is so fast that the headlamps can't keep up!
    Bradley G
    I agree! Stop driving faster than the Speed of Light. I know it helps you foil those laser based speed detectors the cops are using, but cut it out.
    White Lightning Kiarauder:
    2011 Kia Forte EX Minisculus Pimpmobilius Extremus
    Built-in Nav, Bluetooth, USB port, aux/ipod jack, ]2 power ports and Sunroof! six speed auto trans w/ Sportmatic, dead pedal, rear-view camera. Voice cmd for radio, sat, nav, cell phone and MP3.
    Four very muscular, steroid-enhanced, genetically mutated, Mountain Dew injected, wild racing hamsters cavorting under the hood.
    ............................... ...................
    Black Thunder:
    2004 Marauder - Black w/black interior
    Sequence number is 39 of 3213
    Traded in 12/12/10
    --------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    XCalibrator2/Reinhart tune
    Sequence number is 37 of 327
    10/10/2009 ---- Blue Thunder has gone on to a much better place -----
    Martyo's Garage!!!!!

Smile Ain't senility grand

Thanks, everyone for the advice and comments I read the owners manual cover to cover when I got my car---but I didn't remember seeing anything on headlight alignment---and there it is on page 40--simple adjustment--will do it tomorrow. Since the problem is solved, I guess we can close this thread--Thanks for the Maury
    2003 MM 300B Black
    "SHADOW"
    Hood Ornament

Quote Originally Posted by ckadiddle
    I agree! Stop driving faster than the Speed of Light. I know it helps you foil those laser based speed detectors the cops are using, but cut it out.
    Actualy, Einsteins' theory on relativity predicts he will be able to shine lights ahead of him at the speed of light but we won't be able to observe his lights before he hits us. That's what's dangerous about his behavior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information