Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mercury Marauder Rockets Up Sales Charts!

Thumbs up Mercury Marauder Rockets Up Sales Charts!

From reuters:

Mercury Marauder Rockets Up Sales Charts - Even Before It Goes on Sale

IRVINE, Calif., July 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The all-new 2003 Mercury Marauder is off to a high-speed start, as more than 5,200 vehicles were pre-sold to customers prior to the first vehicle being delivered to dealers' showrooms. Today marked the official first day of sales for the car, but the excitement started with the unveiling of the Marauder concept car in 1998 and grew from there.

"We knew the Marauder was something special, but even we were surprised by the reception it's received from customers," said Philip Smoker, Marauder brand manager for Mercury. "The new Marauder is a true four-door muscle car -- a black shark in a pool of minnows. It is, in every way, a worthy successor to the legendary Marauders of the 1960s."

The 2003 Mercury Marauder is available at Mercury dealers nationwide at a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $34,495. The only options available on Marauder are a trunk-mounted six-disc CD changer ($350) and a trunk organizer ($200). A series of 30-minute special programs on the Speed Channel introduced consumers to Marauder, prompting over 85,000 visits to www.mercuryvehicles.com for more information.

Polished 18x8-inch wheels with BFGoodrich performance tires claw for traction when the driver unleashes the 302-horsepower, 318 lb./ft. of torque, 4.6-liter V8 engine, turning each stop light into a personal drag strip. Polished stainless-steel exhaust tips are the speakers for an aggressive exhaust tone, letting the unmistakable sound of a large American V8 engine rumble out. Unlike the original Marauders, though, this one returns 17 mpg in the city and 23 on the highway and comes with a three-year/36,000-mile bumper- to-bumper warranty.

When the lights turn red, four-wheel disc brakes with ABS bring Marauder to a stop in a hurry. And, unlike many of Marauder's fore-bearers, when the road turns at the end of the straight, coil-over springs and Tokico monotube shocks make sure there's no drama.

But Marauder has a soft side, too, as Nudo leather covers the seating surfaces and Mercury "god's head" logos are embossed in the seat backs. A leather-wrapped shift knob and steering wheel are required for a car of this type, and the 140-watt Alpine sound system ensures that many miles of highway travel are comfortable. Of course, air conditioning and power windows, mirrors and door locks are standard equipment, too.

All Marauders are painted black -- adding to the sinister look -- with blacked-out trim around the headlights, bumpers, windows and taillights, and an all-black interior. Additional exterior colors will be available in the near future.

Occupant safety was key to Marauder's development, as well, including side-impact airbags and the Personal Safety System. The Personal Safety System incorporates dual-stage front airbags that vary deployment speed based on the severity of an impact, sensors to determine if front-seat passengers are wearing seat-belts, a driver's-seat position sensor and seat-belt pretensioners with load-limiting retractors. Also, Marauder is designed to make it easy, quick and safe to install a child safety-seat in the rear seats with the standard equipment LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) system. And, to keep your Marauder yours, Securilock(TM) prevents the vehicle from being started unless a key containing a uniquely encoded computer chip is inserted into the ignition.

RICK Guest
    THE TRIM AROUND THE SIDE WINDOWS IS CHROME!

RICK Guest
    MY INTERIOR IS MOSTLY DARK GREY AND SOME STUFF IS SILVER OR BLACK. THE STEREO HAS A 100 WATT AMP.

RICK Guest
    THE TIRES DO NOT CLAW FOR TRACTION BECAUSE THERE IS NOT ENOUGH LOW END POWER TO SPIN THEM.

The press release is reprinted from reuters... Take it with a grain of salt...

I kinda scoffed at the "claw for traction" bit too... They do once the gears are changed...

God bless those marketing types...

Long Live #3 Guest
    You said it Logan.

Holy thread from the past batman...

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    sure is Logan

Makes me wonder what current Marauder sales are though
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Flat Eric Guest
    I just saw in a car magazine (dang what was the name (the Ausi RS6 is on the cover), where they have a picture of the MM upside down going downhill titled THE LOSER....something about only 2,910 cars sold in 2002 with Mercury expecting 18,000 sales...
    then some tripe about how a V6 honda can go faster cheaper....

I love when editors write about stuff they know nothing about. Tell me where else you can get +300hp V8 sedan for the price of an MM.....

I wonder how they expect to sell a car that they don't advertise? Every time I tell someone what kind of car I have, they say, "You have a WHAT?"

Reactions

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    I wonder how they expect to sell a car that they don't advertise? Every time I tell someone what kind of car I have, they say, "You have a WHAT?"
    I get similar reactions from people. Just turned over 125 miles on my DTR. But everyone seems to like it. My favorite reaction was "what is that? A Mafia company car?"
    Redster (aka Rodster)
    04 MM DTR
    ONeill equipped
    96 Audi A4 (ONeill equipped)
    2007 Shelby GT (ONeill equipped)(SAAC equipped)
    2002 Sable

Holy blast from the past! This thread's almost a year old.

MMdriver03 Guest
    Had mine since august 02(built in june). Had only 9 miles on it. Have had to change a bad head but other than that this rides awsome,no regrets!! And what other car comes with a site like this ..THANKS LOGAN

Quote Originally Posted by Logan
    Holy blast from the past! This thread's almost a year old.
    Not exactly. You opened this thread in June of '02, that makes it older than your car.

TripleTransAm Guest
    How are sales looking for 2004?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information