Thread: Anyone Else? Lights? LCM?

Anyone Else? Lights? LCM?

I had my original LCM replaced last Sept. The last week or so, I have been experiencing an odd problem with my headlights. When I have the switch for the headlights set at the 12:00 off position and I first start the car. The headlights will come on. Then as soon as I set out, I hear a rapid clicking sound. The same as one would hear when the headlamps turn on automatically when the car goes into a dark shadow or under a bridge when set to the auto position, but much more rapidly I see that my headlights are flicking on and off for for a few seconds at a rapid pace.

This continues and and off for about 6 or 7 minutes and then slows down and stops after 12 minutes of driving.

What do you guys things is causing this? Could the LCM on its way out ? Or may it be another problem?

If it IS the LCM, causing the trouble I know Ford issued a recall where they would replace the LCM free of charge.

My regular headlights work fine at this point.

Thank you for the advise guys..

Quote Originally Posted by prg333 View Post
    I had my original LCM replaced last Sept. The last week or so, I have been experiencing an odd problem with my headlights. When I have the switch for the headlights set at the 12:00 off position and I first start the car. The headlights will come on. Then as soon as I set out, I hear a rapid clicking sound. The same as one would hear when the headlamps turn on automatically when the car goes into a dark shadow or under a bridge when set to the auto position, but much more rapidly I see that my headlights are flicking on and off for for a few seconds at a rapid pace.

This continues and and off for about 6 or 7 minutes and then slows down and stops after 12 minutes of driving.

What do you guys things is causing this? Could the LCM on its way out ? Or may it be another problem?

If it IS the LCM, causing the trouble I know Ford issued a recall where they would replace the LCM free of charge.

My regular headlights work fine at this point.

Thank you for the advise guys..
    Headlight relay in the LCM is probably on its way out.

When it happens put your hand on the LCM, if you can feel it clicking then it's the LCM.

PM me, I can repair that for you.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

You may have a bad battery. It's common on Crown Vics/MGMs that when jumping a dead battery the head lights would come onand stay on even with the switch in the off position. After the battery charged for a few minutes they would go off, or you had to turn the head light switch to on and then off to reset them.

I just had this happen in my new style 2004 F-150 when the battery started going bad. When cranking, it would crank fast and slow and then the lights would come on and the electronic odometer went nuts and the gas guage went to Full.

New battery fixed it.

Also, check you battery cable ends. If they are dirty or corroded it drops the cranking juice down and makes the car think the same thing that the battery is putting out low voltage. As soon as the alternator charges up the battery, the problem corrects.
    His: Blue w/Light Flint Born 02/05/03 (Wednesday)
    6674 of 7838, Color sequence 102 of 327

1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    6 CD Changer in Trunk
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

Nephews: Blue w/Light Flint
    Born 02/05/03
    6673 of 7838, 101 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    Cars purchased 7 years apart, but are only 20 VIN numbers apart. Sequential units on the assembly line.

Hers: Black 300A w/Charcoal Born 06/25/02 (Tuesday)
    2011 of 7838
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Factory Alarm
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

#4 (Pound Rescue Marauder) 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    120 of 328 DBP 1 of 217 with heated seats.
    6705 of 7838 2003's
    Built Friday 02-07-2003
    Bought 09-10-2012

#5 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    136 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 W/O Heated Seats
    6741 of 7838 2003's
    Built Tuesday 02-11-2003
    Bought 05-06-14

Lights

I got a new battery 2 years ago. I noticed the problem did not occur at night. So maybe it is the sensor near the front mirror that is having trouble that makes the lights flash on and off. But more likely I think a LCM problem

But I will check the battery connections

Thread Information