Thread: P0190 and Stutter

P0190 and Stutter

Twice now in the space of about a month, when the car is idling for 10 minutes or so (picking kid up from school), it will begin to shake/sputter and cut-off. It takes several times to crank before it will catch, and then it seems to run fine. This last time, it threw a P0190 code. I've read several past threads and there seems to be a split in opinion. Some say the P0190 code is simply a diagnostic of the sensor itself and the sensor needs replacing. Others say it could be telling me there's actually a fuel delivery problem. Given that the car stutter and cut-off, I'm going with the latter, assuming that a failed sensor doesn't cause fuel starvation.

So, am I correct in my assumption and need to be looking at fuel delivery? This pump is less than 2 years old as are most parts on the engine because I threw a rod a couple of years ago and had a new forged rebuild done. Car has ran fine up until now. I suppose I should start with a new fuel filter and go from there? I do have an OBDII gauge logger...can't remember if fuel pressure is communicated, but after the fuel filter and assuming PSI is ok, then what?

For now, I cleared the code, and car seems to run fine. It is 100 degrees here, but the coolant never exceeded 180. Can the heat cause some kind of vapor lock on these setups?
    03 300A
    Trilogy #154
    Stainless Works LongTube Headers, Magnaflow High Flow Cats, X-Tube, Rear Cat Delete, Borla Mufflers, 2.5 Mandrel Bent pipes
    Lido tune
    Performance Transmission, 2500 Stall

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
    Twice now in the space of about a month, when the car is idling for 10 minutes or so (picking kid up from school), it will begin to shake/sputter and cut-off. It takes several times to crank before it will catch, and then it seems to run fine. This last time, it threw a P0190 code. I've read several past threads and there seems to be a split in opinion. Some say the P0190 code is simply a diagnostic of the sensor itself and the sensor needs replacing. Others say it could be telling me there's actually a fuel delivery problem. Given that the car stutter and cut-off, I'm going with the latter, assuming that a failed sensor doesn't cause fuel starvation.

So, am I correct in my assumption and need to be looking at fuel delivery? This pump is less than 2 years old as are most parts on the engine because I threw a rod a couple of years ago and had a new forged rebuild done. Car has ran fine up until now. I suppose I should start with a new fuel filter and go from there? I do have an OBDII gauge logger...can't remember if fuel pressure is communicated, but after the fuel filter and assuming PSI is ok, then what?

For now, I cleared the code, and car seems to run fine. It is 100 degrees here, but the coolant never exceeded 180. Can the heat cause some kind of vapor lock on these setups?
    I'd replace the fuel rail pressure sensor. I assume your forced induction setup still
    uses one.

RockAuto.com has them. Two allen head screws and a vacuum hose.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

You can replace the sensor, easy but pricey now, $88.00 at rock auto.

Pull the vacuum hose and smell check for gasoline. If you smell/see gas the sensor is bad.

Then do a fuel pump pressure test.

Maybe your fuel pump has gone south. Not unusual for after market pumps to be short lived and act erratically.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    I'd replace the fuel rail pressure sensor. I assume your forced induction setup still
    uses one.

RockAuto.com has them. Two allen head screws and a vacuum hose.
    +1......done 3 on mine...FWIW---but found mine mostly due to idle sitting and gas going bad or ruff--eliminate that idle use and no further problems----
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    You can replace the sensor, easy but pricey now, $88.00 at rock auto.

Pull the vacuum hose and smell check for gasoline. If you smell/see gas the sensor is bad.

Then do a fuel pump pressure test.

Maybe your fuel pump has gone south. Not unusual for after market pumps to be short lived and act erratically.

Regards,
    ^----- THIS

Do some diagnostics before throwing parts at it

FYI I had a friend here where the car would not start when hot, had to let it sit, it was the pump

Put a gauge on the car, check what pat said.

Let us know
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

When mine used to shut down in the heat it was caused by the FPDM.

Data log your fuel pressure. It should hover around 40. If you see it starting to rise while sitting, all the way up to about 60, then you are about to have a shut down as it will plummet to 20, then 8, then off..

That was my deal. I could easily predict when it was going to fail.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thanks everyone....I'll pull out my laptop and do some logging. And pull the vacuum hose. Will let you know what I find.
    03 300A
    Trilogy #154
    Stainless Works LongTube Headers, Magnaflow High Flow Cats, X-Tube, Rear Cat Delete, Borla Mufflers, 2.5 Mandrel Bent pipes
    Lido tune
    Performance Transmission, 2500 Stall

I've smelled traces of gas in everyone I've ever checked. You just don't want actual wetness.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    I've smelled traces of gas in everyone I've ever checked. You just don't want actual wetness.

If I didn't know this thread was about fuel pressure I'd question what it is you do in your spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    If I didn't know this thread was about fuel pressure I'd question what it is you do in your spare time.

LOL! Now that you put it that way....

You should get a copy of my autobiography..

SOLD 12/31/2021

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    LOL! Now that you put it that way....

You should get a copy of my autobiography..

BOB, therefore I am
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Thread Information