Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't start after short drive (14 mi.)

Won't start after short drive (14 mi.)

So here the story,
    I go for a short drive them come home and park.
    When I go to restart the car it won't start (not even a click from the starter) just nothing.
    Fast flashing from the PATS light on the dash when key is turned to the on position but only sometimes.
    Been to the stealership 3 times (pockets now on empty) to have the keys, PATS transmitter, and PCM replaced with no satisfaction.
    Problem still exists.
    Problem has been ongoing for the past 5 or 6 weeks.
    Anyone else had this problem and if so what was your fix?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Jolly Roger; 07-28-2016 at 04:27 PM.
    Name: Bruiser.
    4 doors - no waiting.
    2004 Mercury Marauder, BLACK w/Charcoal.
    Built 09/04/03
    #261 of 1236 Blacks, 3213 total for 2004
    (Thanks RoyLPita)
    Purchased 10/23/2003
    Adopted 04/25/2004

Hot seats, 6 disc, trunk org, spoiler, avic f90bt & xm, ts-d802 speaks, bumper inserts, pedal and sill covers, 23% tint, 8000k hi/lo hid's & fogs, pro-guard, c.a.i., Xcal2, u.d. pulleys, emp pump, 180 t-stat, autolite 103 plugs, cop connects, coil covers, converter, aluminum pan & cooler, intake spacer, 4.10's, girdle, sway bars, control arms, head cooling kit, shorty headers w/ x pipe, dead pedal, budget big brakes.

"Come with me if you want to live
    ".

Have you tried starting it in Neutral for the heck of it?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'04 Marauder #357 of 3213 - Built and Eaton swapped - "MERCD"
    '21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '15 Mustang GT, performance package
    '01 BMW 740i M-Sport, manual swapped
    '97 Lincoln Town Car (black on black)
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

I'd ask dealer for money back since they threw a bunch of parts at it and didn't fix it

Might verify if PCM is getting voltage

Make sure all wires are good inside the fuse box under the hood, then check to see if you have a broken wire from fuse panel up to harness going into car below master cylinder

Common for the harness to break around bumper area
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Check all the cables from the battery for clean, tight connections. Have you had the battery and starter tested? Most FLAPS will do it for you for free.

Remove all the relays, circuit breakers and fuses from the battery junction box (under the hood and behind the battery). Clean the contacts of the relays and make sure your getting good contact in the junction box.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Do all above...

Do you have headlights? Brake lights?? Just no start?

Turn key and listen for a soft muffled "click." Have to listen hard.

Had your issues, and it ended up being an $18.00 relay/fuse in same box mentioned above.

I was "HOT" for three weeks about it until I calmed down and read and reread, and then did all of the suggestions in the response threads from guys above. When I get home I will look up the fuse/plug/switch for you.

On plane now--searching is slow--but you can search my threads--I think FastBlackMerc above helped save me last time.
    Last edited by 1Marauder; 07-28-2016 at 12:06 PM.

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Marauder View Post
    Do all above...

Had your issues, and it ended up being an $18.00 relay/fuse in same box mentioned above.

I was "HOT" for three weeks about it until I calmed down and read and reread, and then did all of the suggestions in the response threads from guys above. When I get home I will look up the fuse/plug/switch for you.

On plane now--searching is slow--but you can search my threads--I think FastBlackMerc above helped save me last time.
    # 302 Starter relay - swap it with #304.

I replaced ALL the relays in the junction box. There is a finite amount of times that they will work (cycle on & off). With the amount of miles on these cars I bet most of them are reaching the end of their life.

If any one needs relays I can get them them for you for much less than $18.00 each.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Found it...

From FastBlackMerc--who was my hero.... Here was my solution:

First off, thank you all of you for assistance. I did do everything I could get to, and almost everything you suggested first thing this AM. I was on the road all week and flew home last night, so this was as fast as I could get to it.

Great team giving great advice. Following-up, or as the great Paul Harvey used to say, "The RRRRest of the story!"

I must be honest--this morning with sleep in my eyes and only on my second cup of coffee -- I cussed the car out, and told it (truthfully) that if it didnt want to start--it didn't really want me as its owner.

I then switched out/exchanged the starter relay from 302 to 304 (thank you FastBleckMerc), and Bam(!) it started with ease on the first turn!

I backed it out, let it warm up for 10 minutes, put Stabil in tank, drove and filled it with gas (never turned it off), drove it like a wildman for an hour, stopped at local Ford Dealer and bought a new relay (letting it idle the whole time), made an appointment to have the starter checked, and drove it back to storage driveway (again, letting it idle). I then tapped (maybe a little more forceful than a tap) on the Starter six or seven times, and pulled it back into the tight fit storage.

Turned it off. Replaced /switched out relays again, pulled 304, put 302 back into 304, and the new relay in 302... And it started right up. The sound and tone of starter engaging was much "higher toned" and "lighter sounding" and "easier" than I ever recalled it being, so I started the cold dormant Silver sitting right next to it to compare--and they sounded the exactly the same."

Try switching out relay between 302 and 304... First. Make sure they are clean as above.

I also replaced the safety brake start relay behind the brake peddle, and my back still hurts (HAHAHA).

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownMaraud3r View Post
    Have you tried starting it in Neutral for the heck of it?
    Yeah,
    first thing was to go to neutral to eliminate the neutral switch as a possible culprit.
    4 doors - no waiting.
    Built 09/04/03
    (Thanks RoyLPita)
    Purchased 10/23/2003
    Adopted 04/25/2004

Hot seats, 6 disc, trunk org, spoiler, avic f90bt & xm, ts-d802 speaks, bumper inserts, pedal and sill covers, 23% tint, 8000k hi/lo hid's & fogs, pro-guard, c.a.i., Xcal2, u.d. pulleys, emp pump, 180 t-stat, autolite 103 plugs, cop connects, coil covers, converter, aluminum pan & cooler, intake spacer, 4.10's, girdle, sway bars, control arms, head cooling kit, shorty headers w/ x pipe, dead pedal, budget big brakes.

".

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    I'd ask dealer for money back since they threw a bunch of parts at it and didn't fix it

Might verify if PCM is getting voltage

Make sure all wires are good inside the fuse box under the hood, then check to see if you have a broken wire from fuse panel up to harness going into car below master cylinder

Common for the harness to break around bumper area
    Thanks,
    I'll bring that to there attention.
    4 doors - no waiting.
    Built 09/04/03
    (Thanks RoyLPita)
    Purchased 10/23/2003
    Adopted 04/25/2004

".

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Check all the cables from the battery for clean, tight connections. Have you had the battery and starter tested? Most FLAPS will do it for you for free.

Remove all the relays, circuit breakers and fuses from the battery junction box (under the hood and behind the battery). Clean the contacts of the relays and make sure your getting good contact in the junction box.
    I'm supposed to take it back to the stealership Monday.
    I'll make sure to check those things over the weekend and test drive and see if it cures the problem.
    Thanks FBM.
    4 doors - no waiting.
    Built 09/04/03
    (Thanks RoyLPita)
    Purchased 10/23/2003
    Adopted 04/25/2004

".

If you have a tune, have your tuner disable PATS. Yes, it's that easy.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Do all above...

I gonna tackle that fuse box.
    Thanks 1M.
    4 doors - no waiting.
    Built 09/04/03
    (Thanks RoyLPita)
    Purchased 10/23/2003
    Adopted 04/25/2004

".

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    # 302 Starter relay - swap it with #304.

I replaced ALL the relays in the junction box. There is a finite amount of times that they will work (cycle on & off). With the amount of miles on these cars I bet most of them are reaching the end of their life.

If any one needs relays I can get them them for you for much less than $18.00 each.
    Car has 31,000 mi. on the but your fuse box theory fascinates me. and sounds simply enough to check.
    Gonna get right on it.
    Thanks again FBM.
    4 doors - no waiting.
    Built 09/04/03
    (Thanks RoyLPita)
    Purchased 10/23/2003
    Adopted 04/25/2004

".

Found it...

From FastBlackMerc--who was my hero.... Here was my solution:

First off, thank you all of you for assistance. I did do everything I could get to, and almost everything you suggested first thing this AM. I was on the road all week and flew home last night, so this was as fast as I could get to it.

Great team giving great advice. Following-up, or as the great Paul Harvey used to say, "The RRRRest of the story!"

I must be honest--this morning with sleep in my eyes and only on my second cup of coffee -- I cussed the car out, and told it (truthfully) that if it didnt want to start--it didn't really want me as its owner.

I then switched out/exchanged the starter relay from 302 to 304 (thank you FastBleckMerc), and Bam(!) it started with ease on the first turn!

I backed it out, let it warm up for 10 minutes, put Stabil in tank, drove and filled it with gas (never turned it off), drove it like a wildman for an hour, stopped at local Ford Dealer and bought a new relay (letting it idle the whole time), made an appointment to have the starter checked, and drove it back to storage driveway (again, letting it idle). I then tapped (maybe a little more forceful than a tap) on the Starter six or seven times, and pulled it back into the tight fit storage.

Turned it off. Replaced /switched out relays again, pulled 304, put 302 back into 304, and the new relay in 302... And it started right up. The sound and tone of starter engaging was much "higher toned" and "lighter sounding" and "easier" than I ever recalled it being, so I started the cold dormant Silver sitting right next to it to compare--and they sounded the exactly the same."

Try switching out relay between 302 and 304... First. Make sure they are clean as above.

I also replaced the safety brake start relay behind the brake peddle, and my back still hurts (HAHAHA).
    I'm on it.
    Thanks again 1M.
    4 doors - no waiting.
    Built 09/04/03
    (Thanks RoyLPita)
    Purchased 10/23/2003
    Adopted 04/25/2004

".

I think I forgot to mention that it will start after sitting for anywhere from 10 to 45 mins.
    In the mean time gonna tackle the fuse box and circuit breaker then wiring check.
    Thanks to all.
    I'll be sure to post the results.
    4 doors - no waiting.
    Built 09/04/03
    (Thanks RoyLPita)
    Purchased 10/23/2003
    Adopted 04/25/2004

".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information