Thread: Problems Fixed Mods Installed

Problems Fixed Mods Installed

Problems Fixed Mods Installed

Well as some as you may know I’ve had a few issues with my car lately here is what they are and how they were fixed.

Brakes:
    As soon as I had my new Baer breaks & rotors installed I started feeling a heavy pulse in the pedal during low speed braking. The owner of the speed shop I used for the install had told that he has had problems in the past with off the shelf Baer rotors being warped. At Marauderville II I spoke with a few MM owners who had the same issue. Well I finally had my rotors turned and they are fine now. The Baer breaks are great and despite my problems I would still recommend them. However due to fact that others have also had the same problem with warped new rotors I would strongly advise you to have the rotors turned before you install them. It cost a few extra bucks but it far worth the price & future wasted time to get these things working correctly from the get.

Posi:
    I have had all kinds of trouble with traction at the track dating back to when I had my super charger installed way back around Thanksgiving of last year. Despite turning a best 12.6 ET in the quarter mile my never actually had a good launch and I always felt that I should be faster. Either I would spin off the line and would have to ease up on the throttle or I would have to walk the car off the line to avoid spin. I chalked this up to the tires never properly heating up due poor burnouts. When doing a burnout my car would immediately start going sideways and I couldn’t get a good smoke out of them before I would be facing the wrong way. I also had a terrible sound coming from under my car at low speeds over rough surfaces. My car sounded like a taxi cab. I took my car to my regular Ford service place. Nothing was loose underneath so they took apart the rear. Walla, there were a lot of broken teeth in the posi and al kinds of metal floating around. I had already ordered an Eaton Posi from Lidio but it had been over a month and the factory was still telling him they were at least 3 more weeks away from shipping. Lidio recommended his second choice, a high performance Auburn Posi. I received it a few days later it is now installed. No more noise and the car feels great. I going to put a few miles on before I really test it but it feels real strong so far. My advice is if you think your Posi is shot it probably is.

Throttle Body:
    When I first had the Apten single blade throttle body installed my peddle felt way to heavy. At Lidio’s advice I removed an extra spring. Since then I’ve been experiencing a way to touchy throttle. Since I never replaced a throttle body before I just assumed that this is what I was supposed to be feeling. However I felt that my car had become so quick that it was almost un-drivable. Any little tap of the throttle and vroom you’re off to the races. While at Marauderville II Lidio drove it and he said that it was not right and told me to buy a few springs and test them out to see what felt right. Well it only took one and a little stretching and now my car is back to being drivable. I still feel the extra power but without the touchiness. After I put a few miles on I’ll post a review of the Apten single blade throttle body.

I also had the Metco Carbon Fiber Intake tube and Watts Link installed today. I haven’t put on enough miles to give you any feedback yet but I will post a review when I feel like I have something to tell you.

My car feels so good right now I can’t wait till I have sometime to find a few winding roads to really check out the watts link and if the weather is good I’m definitely going to Atco next week to check out my new posi.

Thanks for listening
    2003-300A
    Trilogy #8 with Custom Pulley Produces 12.4psi of Boost
    407 RWHP and 384 RWT
    Best 1/4 Mile 12.028 @ 117.01mph
    From Lidio: Trilogy #8 install & Custom Tune, Custom Pulley, Chip, Accufab Throttle Body, Baer Claw Front Calipers with Crossdrilled & Slotted Rotors All Around, Custom 2¼ X-Pipe, 3 Chamber Flomaster Mufflers, Widened Rear Rims with 305 Nitto NT-555R Extreme Drag Radials, Auburn High Performance Posi.
    From Reinhart: 4.10 Rear Gear, 180 Degree Thermostat, Motorcraft Plugs, Metal Matrix Driveshaft, Rear Sway Bar.
    From Metco: Carbon Fiber Intake Tube, Control Arms & Watts Link.
    From Others: Kenny Brown Braided Brake Lines & Dead Pedal

John, I'm glad to hear that you've got the rear end problem fixed. As far as the brake rotors, I've been hearing from a co-worker of mine who has also purchased Baer brakes for his car that they're warped too, but it's his opinion that it's simply because of the rotors being drilled which weakens the material and causes the warpage. I don't know if that's true, but if your rotors were infact warped before you even had them installed, wouldn't you have noticed the pulsating in the brake pedal immediately?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman
    wouldn't you have noticed the pulsating in the brake pedal immediately?
    Yes I did notice it immeadiatly.
    2003-300A
    Trilogy #8 with Custom Pulley Produces 12.4psi of Boost
    407 RWHP and 384 RWT
    Best 1/4 Mile 12.028 @ 117.01mph
    From Lidio: Trilogy #8 install & Custom Tune, Custom Pulley, Chip, Accufab Throttle Body, Baer Claw Front Calipers with Crossdrilled & Slotted Rotors All Around, Custom 2¼ X-Pipe, 3 Chamber Flomaster Mufflers, Widened Rear Rims with 305 Nitto NT-555R Extreme Drag Radials, Auburn High Performance Posi.
    From Reinhart: 4.10 Rear Gear, 180 Degree Thermostat, Motorcraft Plugs, Metal Matrix Driveshaft, Rear Sway Bar.
    From Metco: Carbon Fiber Intake Tube, Control Arms & Watts Link.
    From Others: Kenny Brown Braided Brake Lines & Dead Pedal

Quote Originally Posted by JET
    Yes I did notice it immeadiatly.
    Okay then. Thanks for the reply.

Good choice on the Auburn posi unit, it's on par with the Eaton. All clutch based posi units will eventually wear out, and some will tell you "Auburn is not rebuildable." Technically, they are correct, you can't rebuild an Auburn on the bench. But, you can send it back to Auburn for overhaul, for like 80 bucks or so, which is a lot cheaper than any bench time.

http://www.auburngear.com

Happy motoring!

Has anyone done one of these yet:

http://www.auburngear.com/oemdifferentials/ected/

I am really curious as I see advertisements for them everywhere, but have yet to see one written up in a magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by martyo
    Has anyone done one of these yet:

http://www.auburngear.com/oemdifferentials/ected/

I am really curious as I see advertisements for them everywhere, but have yet to see one written up in a magazine.
    I haven't seen any magazine write-ups for that, nor can I offer any facts about it either. I equate things like that with the likes of that 8-6-4 engine system of the Mopar engines that cuts an 8 cylinder engine down to running on only 4 cylinders while cruising. It's just not my cup of tea. I think that some day soon someone is going to come up with an alleged hi-perf car that only requires the driver to push a button when the tree lights green and the car will do everything else all the way through the quartermile. Kind of boring. It also reminds me how someone once said that he plans on using his traction control while racing.. Just my opinion. that's all. Sorry I cannot offer any hard facts on it though.
    Last edited by BillyGman; 08-28-2004 at 12:00 PM.

Thread Information