Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please don't ban the newbie for the gear question

Please don't ban the newbie for the gear question

At risk of irritating some, I have a rear gear question. First, I've determined the slight noise coming out of the rear is an axle bearing starting it's downward journey. Because there is also a little ring & pinion whine at a certain speed, I've decided to have the rear gone through.

My question is: Has anyone replaced their 3.55 gear with a 3.31? The car has never been hotrodded and I have no intention of rawhiding it either. I finally got that out of my system and sold my hotrod a few years ago.

We live in a very rural place that requires at least 20 miles to hit the first town. So, almost all of my driving is of the highway type. The reason for thinking of 3.31 gears is my experience from 40+ years ago is the more teeth a ring and pinion have on them, the quieter they run. The 3.31 has the most ring and pinion teeth in that range.

Your thoughts or comments will be appreciated.

I wish Mo's shop was a little closer because there is no shop in my area I would trust to do the job correctly. I'm thinking of going to Pensacola to XXX Motorsports. I've heard a lot of good talk about the shop.
    Last edited by JustRight; 02-12-2016 at 05:19 PM.

$10 and my left nut says you are hearing a bad axle.

As for quietness, I've never once heard of quieter gears, just worn or bad install dictates noise.

As for gear choice, whatever floats your boat.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I have an open 2.73 gear kit if You want.

#1618 of 3214

You would be lucky to gain half mpg. Plus you would need a tune and sct xcal to download. So $425 for tune and sct + gears and install $ 700. Tune corrects speedometer and trans shifting from the 3.55. $1100 buys a bunch of gas at the even say 1 mpg gets you. It'll cost like $1.14 extra . Better sell and buy a 2 .73 geared crown Vic if you can't afford $2.00 gal premium.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I just switched from 2.73s to 3.55s and so far haven't noticed a change in gas milage.

2005 Mercury S55
    Saleen Supercharged 2V

I knew someone was going to do it, just didn't expect it this quickly. Lost 10 bucks on this one.

I'm not concerned about gas mileage or the cost of gas on any of our cars except on our Outback traveling machine. I can change speedometer readings on Ford OBDII cars so that's not an issue. The transmission would probably shift better as it currently short shifts from the factory because of the CAFE standards. My years of hotrodding have self-proven that correctly set up gears with more teeth to mesh always run quieter, but that is only my humble opinion.

I've seen it all. From not knowing a darn thing, to attempting to learn, to thinking you know something, to thinking you know it all and finally to knowing so much you can't possibly learn anything new. It has always been this way and will always be this way. It's a shame people can't just give an opinion without trying to impress you with their stage of knowledge or trying to shame you for what they perceive to be ignorance.

Though, I still appreciate the reply. I'm guessing no one has used 3.31 gears here.

PI. Sport and other CV's run 3:27's alot, Mine does. I'm going up to the 3:55's.
    Awhile back I knew of one SC'd MM owner running 3:27's and he loved them.
    This is one of those 'It's your car do what you think is best for you." things.
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

Quote Originally Posted by O's Fan Rich View Post
    PI. Sport and other CV's run 3:27's alot, Mine does. I'm going up to the 3:55's.
    Awhile back I knew of one SC'd MM owner running 3:27's and he loved them.
    This is one of those 'It's your car do what you think is best for you." things.
    Thanks a million. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll probably choose the 3.31 over the 3.27 because of the extra teeth. They cost the same in aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRight View Post
    I knew someone was going to do it, just didn't expect it this quickly. Lost 10 bucks on this one.

I'm not concerned about gas mileage or the cost of gas on any of our cars except on our Outback traveling machine. I can change speedometer readings on Ford OBDII cars so that's not an issue. The transmission would probably shift better as it currently short shifts from the factory because of the CAFE standards. My years of hotrodding have self-proven that correctly set up gears with more teeth to mesh always run quieter, but that is only my humble opinion.

I've seen it all. From not knowing a darn thing, to attempting to learn, to thinking you know something, to thinking you know it all and finally to knowing so much you can't possibly learn anything new. It has always been this way and will always be this way. It's a shame people can't just give an opinion without trying to impress you with their stage of knowledge or trying to shame you for what they perceive to be ignorance.

Though, I still appreciate the reply. I'm guessing no one has used 3.31 gears here.
    I just want to know what you change the speedo reading with? As far a a gear change, I'd say go with 6:14's and a gear vendor overdrive, but since you have no hot rod bug, 2:73's would make it a highway cruiser.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Your gears are not the noise. And a tune will improve the crappy factory shift schedule with 3.55. Just ask anyone with a tune here in a factory car. The reason nobody responded nobody would go backwards with a numerically lower gear in a marauder, most go to 4.10. You prolly have a bad bearing as suggested. These cars are not the hot rods of yesteryear. The ford dealer will not change your PCM for a gear swap speedo correction. Think of me as you will. You asked what the thoughts were.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    Your gears are not the noise. And a tune will improve the crappy factory shift schedule with 3.55. Just ask anyone with a tune here in a factory car. The reason nobody responded nobody would go backwards with a numerically lower gear in a marauder, most go to 4.10. You prolly have a bad bearing as suggested. These cars are not the hot rods of yesteryear. The ford dealer will not change your PCM for a gear swap speedo correction. Think of me as you will. You asked what the thoughts were.

We have another one of "them".

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

^^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
    Vin: 2MEHM75V63X615175
    Build Date: 6/10/2002
    Serial#: 995 of 7839
    995 of 7093 Black

Accel coil on plugs/Autolite 104s/ K&N intake/Flowmaster 40s/Powdercoated goodys/
    LED Grille scanner/BIGCARSFOREVER Dead pedal/SCT Tune/BBK Power Plus twin blade 65mm throttle body

No one has ever put 3.31 gears in a Marauder.

Ever

Can't stop the signal...
    2003 Trilogy Supercharged Marauder

At least you mentioned MO's..I live 688 miles; away from them and have been there twice for services..

Let me guess, you have a DTR marauder and you want to make it slower
    Last edited by RubberCtyRauder; 02-13-2016 at 06:58 AM.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by JustRight View Post

I wish Mo's shop was a little closer because there is no shop in my area I would trust to do the job correctly. I'm thinking of going to Pensacola to XXX Motorsports. I've heard a lot of good talk about the shop.
    Feel free to call me to discuss. It will be with the trip no matter what you decide.

Here's my cell phone: 914-582-6262. You can reach me 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time. Outside of those hours email me at marty@mosspeedshop.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information