Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 1963 Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post
    Ospho and Rustoleum are your friends!!
    We like this for the DIY'er approach:

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/perm...FWrl7AodwxMAAA

Just watch for overspray - this stuff is meant to stick through think and thin!!!!

That's fine if ya first stop the oxidation completely.....if not you just cover up a ticking "time bomb" but I'm sure "youse guys" know that!!
    No Marauder

That's fine if ya first stop the oxidation completely.....if not you just cover up a ticking "time bomb" but I'm sure "youse guys" know that!!
    Yep!

Im confused, but then I do confuse easily unfortunately. So to clean up the under side real good, or as good as can be without taking out the engine and drive line and all that, and then scraping off as much rust as I can and then hitting it with some rustoleum and that undercoating stuff is the way to go or no???

Also just got finished removing what looked like a stucco material from the trunk because it was already loose and found rust underneath. So Im gonna do the same with that area, probably use the rubber spray stuff mostly though. Good Idea or is there a better way?

And thanks again Marty for all your guidance, it is greatly appreciated.

Oh and where can I find vinyl like the original vinyl that came in the car when it was made. The headliner was a light blue with little m's all over it and the seats are two different shades of green with green carpet. I've had some local upholstery people tell me they cant get that viny because its too old and they don't make it any more and want me to go with something different.

Im wondering if changing everything instead of trying to keep it as close to original as possible will diminish its value... Any ideas???

It is not a show car. Pick materials and textures you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post
    Im confused, but then I do confuse easily unfortunately. So to clean up the under side real good, or as good as can be without taking out the engine and drive line and all that, and then scraping off as much rust as I can and then hitting it with some rustoleum and that undercoating stuff is the way to go or no???

Also just got finished removing what looked like a stucco material from the trunk because it was already loose and found rust underneath. So Im gonna do the same with that area, probably use the rubber spray stuff mostly though. Good Idea or is there a better way?

And thanks again Marty for all your guidance, it is greatly appreciated.
    If the rust is not eliminated it will continue to spread, even if you cover it up with a coating.
    1963 Marauder S-55, Super Marauder 406
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.
    https://sites.google.com/a/wmich.edu/supermarauder/
    ______________________________ _____________

First retailed 2003 Marauder
    Bought 6 June 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post
    Oh and where can I find vinyl like the original vinyl that came in the car when it was made. The headliner was a light blue with little m's all over it and the seats are two different shades of green with green carpet. I've had some local upholstery people tell me they cant get that viny because its too old and they don't make it any more and want me to go with something different.

Im wondering if changing everything instead of trying to keep it as close to original as possible will diminish its value... Any ideas???
    The original vinyl is still available, but I can't tell you at the moment where to get it. Unless you are trying to restore the car to original condition I wouldn't worry about it. Get what makes YOU happy.
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.

Bought 6 June 2002

Well I would very much like to restore it mostly to original because the back seat and front and back panels are in good shape. It's just the front seat, headliner, and carpet that need replacing.

If I change the front seat, then I have to do the back seat as well and the door panels and contrary to popular belief (not talking about you guys) I'm not rich. And the back seat is in great shape plus I really do like the original design. Its like to different shades of green and the stitching and patterns are very intricate.

Plus, I think the vinyl that has all those little m's on them for the headliner is bad ass, better than anything I've seen so far.

The paint on the car is what I really don't care for that much, don't really like that shade of blue. I had this Korean guy who does furniture upholstery tell me he would do the front seat for 500 bucks and I also have to pay for the vinyl. All the foam replacement and possible spring replacement is included in that price.

Does that sound like a fair price????

He also told me he would make me a new headliner for 300 bucks and that's just labor not vinyl cost or installation which I know is to high.

Well I guess I've gone and typed you guys ears off again, sorry about that but as usual any advice/ mentorship would be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you soon.

(About to leave and go get a high performance alum. manifold and new distributor cap and wires for the car, gonna put a holly 4 barrel on it I've decided, OOH RAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and thank you to kirk for all your help man, You have been a life saver. Thank you and hope to hear back from. Later

I love that color!

It was very popular on the Mercs in '63.

To each his own.

I don't think you're gonna find a Mercury headliner with the little M's. Don't know about the price on that, but the seat sounds high to me. I think my bucket seat was less than $500 including the material, but that's been a while. From the looks of it you should be able to get your seat fixed. Dosen't look that bad except for two spots. Maybe I just can't see it well enough.

Bought 6 June 2002

Can anyone tell me how to remove the adjuster for the driver side rear view mirror so I can take the door panel all the way off?

Also, If I wanted to get some press board the same thickness as those door panels and make new ones can I do that or have the panels been through a punch press mold of some kind and are not flat on both sides?

Went to summit and got this rust coat stuff (cant remember what its called) but its milky colored and after cleaning the rusty spots up a little and applying it the spots turn black after it dries. Then you can paint over it if you want. Im assuming the undercoating can go over it as well but the can does not say.

That is sufficient in neutralizing this rust problem Im having in the trunk and under the car where no one ever see's isn't it or no?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread Information