Thread: Slow oil leak, cam cover?

Question Slow oil leak, cam cover?

So for the past couple years I have had a tiny bit of smoke coming from the engine area here and there at random. Naturally every time I tried to find the source, there was no smoke at the time, never any fluid on the ground, eventually just kind of forgot about it. Very slow leak. Anyway finally found it - engine oil dripping onto driver's side exhaust manifold/egr area. The pic below is of the back left corner of the engine (and you can see egr pipe on right side) which is where it appears to be coming from - you can see on the left that the oil is further up towards the front as well but that's about as far forward as any heavy oil residue goes. I'm assuming it's coming from the seam there on cam cover?

Two questions:

1) seems like this is coming from the seam of the cam cover, does that look about right to those more experienced than myself?

2) I had seen some threads on issues with messing with the PCV system causing the cam cover gaskets to go out but that may not be such an issue for my car from what I read, which engine-wise is all stock. However, I did install an oil catch can (which has gotten a lot of oil!) and am wondering if that could possibly contribute to this? The smoke started happening right around the time I added that can in after cleaning air intake manifold. I used metal electrical conduit as the piping for catch can, so there is nothing collapsing or anything, should be functioning as normal, though if catch can set up was leaking or something could this cause issues like this?

Have read some threads on cam cover removal, noted that driver's side is easier so that is just dandy. Assuming this is the issue, any part number suggestions for the gasket? I am about to start searching but know some people have them saved

Thank you as always
    Attached Images Attached Images

Get FelPro cam cover set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks yes I do see a lot of people use the VS50477R, also seems like the quality can be hit or miss though, lots of people reporting different colors and fits and so forth with same part number. Might see if dealer has OEM tomorrow and if so what the price difference is, can't seem to find a part number for them.

FelPro are bright blue, When You install them You can clearly see the the blue all around the cover meeting the head. I got under the car and checked it to make sure it sealed all around. They work great. Timing cover gasket too. Just make sure You know what You're doing. There are little tricks of the trade to do while You put it back together. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 03Merc View Post
    Get FelPro cam cover set.

Felpro makes the ford gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Felpro makes the ford gaskets

Sweet.

OK cool, hoping to get this done next weekend

Thread Information