Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Rear End (lol)

My Rear End (lol)

OK so now that I have read that the rear ends on the 03 don't have much life left after 100k miles and being the fact my car is 96k, and since I am in way deeper than I planned, what should I do to the rear end. I have seen rebuild kits for about $100. Do I need to do anything about the axles?.... There are no leaks. Read some horror stories about wheels coming off etc...
    2003 300A BLACK - Flowmaster 40's w/ Rear Cat Delete - JLT Intake - Mo's Custom Tune - Steeda UDP 1"Drop/SBC/KYB- Addco Rear Sway Bar
    Powerstop D/S Rotors/Ceramic Pads
    Complete Interior/Cluster/Pod/Exterior LED Conversion
    55w HID - Mach 1 Chin Spoiler - Blue Calipers/Valve Stem Caps - Front Plate Ditched/Holes Filled
    Tow Hitch w/ Light Harness - OEM Rear Spoiler -Wiper Delete

79 Big Block Camaro - Rotisserie Resto
    2015 Nissan Leaf - Tricked Out DD
    74 Buick Lesabre Convertable
    99 Camaro Z28 - 24k orig

Quote Originally Posted by detrailers View Post
    OK so now that I have read that the rear ends on the 03 don't have much life left after 100k miles and being the fact my car is 96k, and since I am in way deeper than I planned, what should I do to the rear end. I have seen rebuild kits for about $100. Do I need to do anything about the axles?.... There are no leaks. Read some horror stories about wheels coming off etc...
    Listen for faint rumbling coming from the rear, or felt through the seat. With the rear supported by jack stands, try and pry (or jack) the wheels up and down and look for play in the axle/bearing interface. Does it do one-wheel peel (limited slip not so limited anymore)? Is there clanging going from drive to reverse? This can also be rear control arms.

Figure out what the car needs and prioritize maintenance time and dollars. 11 year old 100k mile cars typically need work.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Is a ticking (smaking) sound at really low speeds a sign of a dying rear end, or could that just be my u-joints?

2005 Mercury S55
    Saleen Supercharged 2V

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_S55 View Post
    Is a ticking (smaking) sound at really low speeds a sign of a dying rear end, or could that just be my u-joints?
    Possibly the rear end.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
    Listen for faint rumbling coming from the rear, or felt through the seat. With the rear supported by jack stands, try and pry (or jack) the wheels up and down and look for play in the axle/bearing interface. Does it do one-wheel peel (limited slip not so limited anymore)? Is there clanging going from drive to reverse? This can also be rear control arms.

Figure out what the car needs and prioritize maintenance time and dollars. 11 year old 100k mile cars typically need work.
    Yes it definitely has a very slight vibration, felt thru the seat like you mentioned, that occurs at light throttle, low speed... Like when creeping thru a parking lot. I had thought it was maybe trans or u joint related. So getting back to my original question, since I will at very least be having the axle rebuilt and apart, should the axles be replaced for good measure or anything else. I guess my question is redundant and the axle shop will tell me. Anyone know of a good shop in the North Dallas area?
    2003 300A BLACK - Flowmaster 40's w/ Rear Cat Delete - JLT Intake - Mo's Custom Tune - Steeda UDP 1"Drop/SBC/KYB- Addco Rear Sway Bar
    55w HID - Mach 1 Chin Spoiler - Blue Calipers/Valve Stem Caps - Front Plate Ditched/Holes Filled

99 Camaro Z28 - 24k orig

Blog Entries
    Take the cover off for a visual inspection and fluid change.

Being a DD and a car that sees track time I change fluids once a year to facilitate inspection. I also have oil and trans lab analysis done.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

If you are going to spend the money to fix it replacing the axles is a no brainer as they have to come out if you service the rear end.

I'd do the whole nine yards.
    -New Axles
    -New Ring and Pinion (change the gear perhaps??)
    -New Trak-Lok carrier
    -New Diff Cover - or Gridle is better with drain/fill plugs
    -New FRPP Master rebuild kit - bearings/seals etc - you won't need the clutches if you get a new T-lok carrier.

Break in with cheap dino gear oil. Then drain and put in the good synthetic stuff.

Since you will pay $300ish in Labor, you may as well replace everything since you seem to love your MM as most do on this site..

Good luck.
    2021 F150 XLT Super Crew short bed - no chrome! - 3.5 Ecoboost 400hp/500tq - 36 Gal tank (600 miles) - 4x4 FX4 Offroad + Max Tow - 3.55 Locker - 10 Speed - Pro Power 2kva - 24mpg @ 80 Ford is still the best.
    03 300A - Number 1727
    - Super Touring - 10k in the best upgrades - 13.8@99 N/A - SOLD
    - STAP was so much fun, loved meeting you all and racing.

Yes it definitely has a very slight vibration, felt thru the seat like you mentioned, that occurs at light throttle, low speed... Like when creeping thru a parking lot. I had thought it was maybe trans or u joint related. So getting back to my original question, since I will at very least be having the axle rebuilt and apart, should the axles be replaced for good measure or anything else. I guess my question is redundant and the axle shop will tell me. Anyone know of a good shop in the North Dallas area?
    In my experience, vibration from the rear is often tires out of balance. Worn axles and bearings make a faintly audible rumbling. Perhaps they are capable of vibration also, not sure.

Axle wear is easily visible once disassembled, so no need to guess. The ring and pinion gear are possibly the only components in the rear to stand a chance of lasting more than 100K miles. Inspect, but if you aren't planning on a ratio change you may be able to re-use the gears if they look really good.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Tires are brand new so doubtful on that. What you described is spot on... More of a faint audible sound. Hard to tell if it's felt or heard because it's so faint.
    Since I would have everything apart might be a good time to switch to 4.10s but wonder what that would do to the mileage and would it be screaming on the highway...

99 Camaro Z28 - 24k orig

Tires are brand new so doubtful on that. What you described is spot on... More of a faint audible sound. Hard to tell if it's felt or heard because it's so faint.
    Since I would have everything apart might be a good time to switch to 4.10s but wonder what that would do to the mileage and would it be screaming on the highway...
    You obviously haven't searched the "should I go with 4.10 gears threads".....

The MM was originally spec'd to have 4.10's. The bean counters forced 3.55's to be installed so the corporation could meet C.A.F.E. standards.

You will lose 1-2 MPG with the 4.10's.

The engine will turn about 200RPM faster at 70MPH.

The installation of 4.10's is a MAJOR improvement.

You will need a tuner & a tune to compensate for the difference in gears - speedo and shifting.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Jeez....there goes another few hundred...thanks for the info

99 Camaro Z28 - 24k orig

Anyone have the part number for the Ford Racing 4.10 ring now that I have to order that

99 Camaro Z28 - 24k orig

99 Camaro Z28 - 24k orig

Any 8.8 ford ring and pinion. They all the same. You'll lose 2 mpg. And it's closer to 500 more rpm but more than 200
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Ford also sells a rebuild kit that was for a recall for the rear end that includes both axles all the bearings and seals and fluids. Unfortunately the recall was only for fleet vehicles. It is rather inexpensive compared to buying it piece by piece. And if you have a good shop to do it they get a discount on the kit so it saves even more money. good luck!
    2004 DTR Marauder, #423 of 9806
    2004 SB Marauder, SOLD
    2003 Black Marauder, #3029 of 7093
    2003 Black Supercharged Marauder, #1940 of 7093
    2003 DBP Marauder, #225 of 328, SOLD
    2007 Black Shelby GT Terlingua
    2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT 5.0
    2018 Platinum White King Ranch F150 FX4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information