Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boxing in rear control arms

Boxing in rear control arms

I have ordered new rear control arms and I am going to box them in. I have a good friend that is a great welder. So I am going to take my time and make them good and strong and all so look good. I have the time now that I am retired. I spent $140.00 for all new ones. If this works out I may do the watts link too.

I will take pictures.
    03MM 300A Build date 06/03/02 Production #446Tilogy S/C Kit#4 387RWHP 364RWTQ, Addco front and rear sway bars,Factory Spoiler,Auto,Auto Meter Gauges ,Boost,Air/Fuel,Trans. Temp. Oil and Volt. All are real working gauges now.Badgeless Grill,J Mod
    Metco D/S Loop,Boxed Lower Rear Control Arms
    New Made Upper Rear Control Arms
    Boxed Watts Link,Ford Finned Rear End Cover
    Colex Caps: Oil,Water,Enter Cooler,Power Steering,Master Cylinder and Windshield Washer
    Daniels Coil Covers and Buttons,Nitto 255/45 front
    Widen Rear Wheels with 295/45 Nitto's,Zack's Big Brakes, Rear Drilled a slotted rotors,TCE Braided brake lines,Pro Guard Skid Plate,Summit trans pan, New Exhaust.K&N Cold Air Intake,JLT Catch Can,fastblackmerc door seal plates, pedal covers and Mustang dead pedal.

Why not get Metco or the type that Sparta sells? Staying with the stock arms even if they are boxed, you will have the same crappy soft rubber bushings instead of a Delrin or poly bushing. Plus the Metcos are greaseable. I would think the better bushings make for better handling.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Because I want to save some money and I see where others have done it and say it helps. I am not going to race it just looking for something to do.
    03MM 300A Build date 06/03/02 Production #446Tilogy S/C Kit#4 387RWHP 364RWTQ, Addco front and rear sway bars,Factory Spoiler,Auto,Auto Meter Gauges ,Boost,Air/Fuel,Trans. Temp. Oil and Volt. All are real working gauges now.Badgeless Grill,J Mod
    Colex Caps: Oil,Water,Enter Cooler,Power Steering,Master Cylinder and Windshield Washer
    Widen Rear Wheels with 295/45 Nitto's,Zack's Big Brakes, Rear Drilled a slotted rotors,TCE Braided brake lines,Pro Guard Skid Plate,Summit trans pan, New Exhaust.K&N Cold Air Intake,JLT Catch Can,fastblackmerc door seal plates, pedal covers and Mustang dead pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mathis View Post
    Because I want to save some money and I see where others have done it and say it helps. I am not going to race it just looking for something to do.
    10-4......
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I have a plan to make sure that the welds are cleaned up and will not look like they are welded together. I see what others have done and they did great job. Just going to refine them a little more. Like I said I have time and the stuff to do this with. I am a fair welder but have a good friend who is really good. I am all so looking into some different bushings.

good stuff, since you have the time. you'll appreciate the handling difference, and that you made them yourself
    sent from my rotary phone using Technicolor

2004 SILVER BIRCH/BLACK PAINT
    DARK CHARCOAL NUDO LEATHER
    #400 of 997 (SOLD)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT (SOLD)

2004 300A MM BLACK
    1 OWNER CAR, NO OPTIONS
    DAILY DRIVER

2013 DAYTONA R/T
    SUPER TRACK PACK
    DAYTONA BLUE PEARL
    #1763 off ~2100
    NOW WITH A 392 & 3.73 posi!

Making things myself makes me feel good. My dad was a big part of that in my life. I feel they will look good and do the job I want. I all so want to make them look stock

To me it is re-inventing the wheel. I guess things are different when you're retired. Good luck!
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
    To me it is re-inventing the wheel. I guess things are different when you're retired. Good luck!
    Re-inventing the wheel......................... ....?
    Just guessing here, but if you purchased some Metcos for him, bet he'd install them. Do it! Let's see!

Chris Stewart
    03 Marauder
    Paxton 2200
    20" wheels
    637.21rwhp
    538.59rwtq

04 DTR Son's car
    4.10, K&N CAI, Jeff tune
    Headers, underdrive pulley
    297.26 rwhp
    312rwtq

06 F-150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4
    305/55 20's

I was just telling people that I was going to box in my control arms. I am not re-inventing the wheel. Plus it is my wheel. I just like to let people know what I am doing. I well take advice anytime. I know I could buy Metco ones but did not want to.

It seems like when some post stuff. Some one has to say negative stuff. Or give there opinion when not ask. Like my English or grammar. I am 65 years old and retired. So you know how I feel.

I am not directing this to any one person. Just my feeling. I hope I did not upset anyone.

Here is my negative comment: I want to see the dang pictures!!!!!

I am working on it. I just got the new arms in. I found out that there was company that make a very heavy duty one. I had to order another set. But they only have two set of lowers. Will not be getting any more from that company. They all so do not have the uppers is that heavy metal. I will send the thickness in my next responds.
    I will be doing pictures.

The one new set I got is right at 1/8 thick and the other set was about 5/64. I have reorder the heavy set. I was not able to get a good thickness check on the stock one but they look to be thinner than 1/8.
    Last edited by Bob Mathis; 02-20-2015 at 06:46 PM.

If didn't want to spend $$ for metco or sparta ones..then should have gotten Lincoln towncar LIMO ones..they are solid aluminum...but only for limo models and yes they fit
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    If didn't want to spend $$ for metco or sparta ones..then should have gotten Lincoln towncar LIMO ones..they are solid aluminum...but only for limo models and yes they fit
    I'm reading that this man want's the project of making them himself. Not about money, about fun project for Marauder retiree
    I'm with Marty - let's see how they come out!
    sent from my rotary phone using Technicolor

2004 SILVER BIRCH/BLACK PAINT
    DARK CHARCOAL NUDO LEATHER
    #400 of 997 (SOLD)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT (SOLD)

2004 300A MM BLACK
    1 OWNER CAR, NO OPTIONS
    DAILY DRIVER

2013 DAYTONA R/T
    SUPER TRACK PACK
    DAYTONA BLUE PEARL