Thread: Electric cutouts... Can they be wired with a WOT switch?

Electric cutouts... Can they be wired with a WOT switch?

Can cutouts provide the best of both worlds?

I am having some mods done to the car that should hopefully approach the 475-500 RWHP range.

I have BBK full length headers without any "feline devices" and some unlabeled mufflers (pretty sure they aren't stock), but most of the exhaust piping is still stock. My understanding is that I "need" 2.5" at a minimum.

I was planning to have the whole exhaust redone, but the thing is I really love how mine sounds for daily driving. Just enough growl, but quiet enough to not get much attention.

I have always wondered exactly how the electric cutouts could be triggered.

How long does it take for them to open and close?

I've been curious if these can be wired to open with a WOT switch or maybe even a boost pressure switch?

Is there a pretty good response to the opening and closing, or is it a push to hold type switch?

Do they seal well and hold up to daily driving very well? Or are they more suited to garage queens?

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by SIZEMOREMK View Post
    Can cutouts provide the best of both worlds?

I am having some mods done to the car that should hopefully approach the 475-500 RWHP range.

I have BBK full length headers without any "feline devices" and some unlabeled mufflers (pretty sure they aren't stock), but most of the exhaust piping is still stock. My understanding is that I "need" 2.5" at a minimum.

I was planning to have the whole exhaust redone, but the thing is I really love how mine sounds for daily driving. Just enough growl, but quiet enough to not get much attention.

I have always wondered exactly how the electric cutouts could be triggered.

How long does it take for them to open and close?

I've been curious if these can be wired to open with a WOT switch or maybe even a boost pressure switch?

Is there a pretty good response to the opening and closing, or is it a push to hold type switch?

Do they seal well and hold up to daily driving very well? Or are they more suited to garage queens?

Thanks guys!
    Mike BTW mufflers are thrush. Old skool type. I love that sound too that's why I got them.

One of my plans with it was to change out the mid pipe from the end of the headers to the mufflers with and X pipe with 2 1/4. Stock mid pipe is way to small for proper hair dryer breathing. Changing all the way to the rear to me is over kill.

Black Widow mufflers and an X-pipe for the win!!

2005 Mercury S55
    Saleen Supercharged 2V

They are too slow. I'll sell you my old cut outs..

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

2 to 3 seconds for cutouts to go open to close
    If you’re in control, you’re not going fast enough. – Parnelli Jones

If your wife's having a good time and you're not, you're still having a better time than if you're having a good time and she's not. - Red Green

2004 Marauder 300A - Garage Queen

1025 of 3213. It is one of 1237 in black and one of 2000 w/o the moonroof option.

Performance
    4:10's, rear Adco, front Eibachs w/ KYB shocks, Working oil pressure gauge, JLT CA Kit, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, TCE SS Brake Lines, Zack big brake kit.
    Dress
    Power by Ford coil covers, Maruder sill plates, God's head steering wheel emblem, spoiler, front and rear splash gaurds, Custom dead pedal, LED lights for engine bay, interior and gauges. 64' Marauder Sail Panel for rear badge, custom God's head badge in grill.

LOC: Clermont Florida

Could always devise a lever to open and close them from inside the car.
    2004 Black Marauder: #2237 Born on 4/1/2004

Eaton Swapped and a bunch of other goodies!

Seems like most people get rid of them.

I'll save my money for Xmas in a cup
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

You might want to look into a set of boost activated cutouts.
    I have a pair for sale.

my car hit 476 rwhp on a conservative tune, back end of exhaust is all stock!
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

The cut outs are slow to open. They are powered by electric motors so they don't open on the fly.

Here is a video of a set I put on my 03' Crown Vic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq4ck9Wf4dE&t=6m29s

They don't seal very well either, there is always a small leak but that's the nature of the business. I've yet to come across a set that don't have a small leak. I have since took them off and reverted back to stock because I got annoyed with them.

Why not give these a try,I always wondered what they would sound like.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/dynomax-vt-mufflers

Quote Originally Posted by Serge View Post
    The cut outs are slow to open. They are powered by electric motors so they don't open on the fly.

Here is a video of a set I put on my 03' Crown Vic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq4ck9Wf4dE&t=6m29s

They don't seal very well either, there is always a small leak but that's the nature of the business. I've yet to come across a set that don't have a small leak. I have since took them off and reverted back to stock because I got annoyed with them.
    this... sounds magnificent!! lol would love to pop them open next to some "lawn mower" revving its engine at me.

so what was annoying? I've wanted to do this for awhile. I love loud cars "sometimes" and as I know with my mustang the drone from a loud exhaust on a long drive is tiresome and grating.

Aaron - audiophile head-unit, avatar flag guru,

2003 DBP/charcoal Marauder, JLT intake, 4:10's , flowmaster 40's 4" exhaust tips
    1993 Red/Gray ATX Taurus SHO 3.2l lightly modded
    1991 Mocha/tan MTX Taurus SHO 3.2l Supercharged very modded!
    1995 Red/black "BOSS" mustang GT, manual, lightly modded 40 series Flowss.. nice and noisy
    2004 Red/black FX4 F150 regular cab, short bed, mostly stock

Thread Information