Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommended brake kits

Quote Originally Posted by Todd TCE View Post
    For the record I'm doing a 15" front kit right now for a customer.

But I'll go on record as saying that the rotor size and pad size alone...won't fix driving habits. Yes it will extend the thermal operating range of the parts. But heat is heat and pad transfer is the same when hot on a 15" rotor as it is on a 13" rotor.

I've experienced this on one of our truck kits as well with a customer. He's replaced is 16 x 1.375 rotors now twice in the past couple of years. Far less than he did the oe parts. Raves about the stopping it has! And in time he's learning that he plots his own destiny on service life too. He pushes them harder now but knows he can still tear them up if he's not thinking about how they are used. (abused?)
    I was in a rush earlier through a subdivision in the 99ram diesel. Gunning and stopping at the next stop sign then thought.....dang it I just had the brakes done again and backed off
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    You never responded to my PM OP.
    Im almost positive a stock Mach 1/Cobra rotor will work. (you will have to open up the hub bore .003)
    I know a guy named KC (BRG Racing) who can that easy. Thank you for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
    I had the same problem as you with my Wilwood 14"/13" kit. For the record it is not warped rotors, but rather transfer of overheated pad material to the rotor. It feels the same at the pedal and steering wheel (high spots on the rotor), but if you are looking for a fix it is important to understand what is going on.

I went through several sets of brake pads and rotors, finally arriving at the conclusion there is just not enough pad area and rotor thickness in the front to absorb the energy from our fast, heavy cars. Todd at TCE agreed to design a kit that uses 14" X 1.25" thick rotors (instead of 14" X 1.10") and the larger Aero6 calipers with 35% more pad area. It arrived a couple weeks ago and is sitting in my garage awaiting installation. I have some other things going on that won't let me install it for about 6 weeks, so I can't report back on the results, unfortunately. However, a thicker rotor and larger pads have got to be a step in the right direction.

You will need more than a 0.090" spacer to clear the caliper, however. This can be accommodated with a thicker spacer, and, if you want to keep the scrub radius the same, widening the OEM wheel 2X the spacer thickness. Or, I have a line on some 20" wheels that look like Marauder wheels from American Racing. You'll have to do something to get the wheels to clear, but to me at least, it will be worth it. I am so sick of brake jobs.

So give Todd a call, he can set you up. Or wait 6 weeks and I'll report back with initial results. But the long term results are what you really want . . .

I will wait until you tell me the new 14" TCE kit works. I have been a customer of TCE for 6 plus years and very unhappy at warped rotors. I buy 2-3 rotors per year! And I drive a motorcycle six months of the year.

I knew the 13" rotors were too small for the Marauder weight.

For the record I'm doing a 15" front kit right now for a customer.

But I'll go on record as saying that the rotor size and pad size alone...won't fix driving habits. Yes it will extend the thermal operating range of the parts. But heat is heat and pad transfer is the same when hot on a 15" rotor as it is on a 13" rotor.

I've experienced this on one of our truck kits as well with a customer. He's replaced is 16 x 1.375 rotors now twice in the past couple of years. Far less than he did the oe parts. Raves about the stopping it has! And in time he's learning that he plots his own destiny on service life too. He pushes them harder now but knows he can still tear them up if he's not thinking about how they are used. (abused?)
    Todd,

How did I not hear about the above solution from my emails to you explaining my frustration having to replace warped rotors too often? Even so, before I drop $3500+ on new front and rear kits, I need data to make me believe the new 14 or 15" TCE kits will hold up my driving habits.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Ive had oem brakes which are just OK , I've had a Baer 14" front kit with TCE stainless lines which was much better than oem , i have had several Wilwood kits which are far superior to anything i have ever used, I've installed Todds 14" kit on a friends Marauder its perfect!

And currently Todd is building me a custom 15" drilled/slotted setup with Aero 6 red calipers.

Bottom line is you will not build a better big brake system than a TCE/Wilwood kit.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

http://www.alternativeauto.com/Marau...rakes_Kit.html

Alternative Auto might be able to scrounge up a Baer set from somewhere. They're 14" rotors.

2005 Mercury S55
    Saleen Supercharged 2V

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_S55 View Post
    http://www.alternativeauto.com/Marau...rakes_Kit.html

Alternative Auto might be able to scrounge up a Baer set from somewhere. They're 14" rotors.
    Alternative Auto does not sell mail order..they only sell to install it themselves..That is an old web page, Baer does
    not make the marauder kit any longer
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

The 14" FNSL6 kits (enlarged version of the 13.1) has been out for about a year or more. The very early ones were two piece brackets based upon the lug mount BSL6n and a radial conversion bracket offered by Wilwood. That kit evolved when it became clear that the kit would clear the stock wheel. And more so when the new FNSL6 (replacing the BSL line) which is a slightly lower profile negating the need for the thin spacer.

The 'newer' W6A caliper set up was talked about for a long time offering the large body size caliper on a full 1.25" wide rotor. As stated the pads are lager, the rotor larger and wider and the swept area greater. That kit stewed for a few years as nobody wanted to deal with the significant need for larger wheel spacer. In that time span the W6A was replaced by the new Aero6 model. (about every 5yrs or so Wilwood mixes it up some) The 14" Aero6 kit was only recently "commissioned" by a member who said he'd take the plunge both financially and fitment wise. It's mentioned but not detailed on the web page now. With a price point of $2179.

The 15" version of the kit is just a Max version of what the caliper will accept. This is a custom one off deal requiring yet different brackets and shallower hats placing the caliper even closer to the wheel. With custom 20s or larger however it's not expected to be an issue. This kit will not be listed on the web page.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

The 15" version of the kit is just a Max version of what the caliper will accept. This is a custom one off deal requiring yet different brackets and shallower hats placing the caliper even closer to the wheel. With custom 20s or larger however it's not expected to be an issue. This kit will not be listed on the web page.
    What price-point are we talking for the 15" custom front kit?

I haven't looked into the specifics, but I am looking at 2015 Mustangs with the performance package(can't find the one), anyways, they come with 15" rotors/6-piston calipers. Would be nice if it was bolt on with custom brackets/hoses.
    Last edited by ChiTownMaraud3r; 01-31-2015 at 09:57 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'04 Marauder #357 of 3213 - Built and Eaton swapped - "MERCD"
    '21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '15 Mustang GT, performance package
    '01 BMW 740i M-Sport, manual swapped
    '97 Lincoln Town Car (black on black)
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

The added cost of the 15" kit comes from a revised bracket (limited run) and the added cost of the larger rotors. $120

Bringing the total base price to $2249 plus options and shipping.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

I don't track my car, and maybe I'm easier on the brakes in general, but I've had my TCE/Wilwood kit on for 7-8 years...same rotors and same pads.

Admittedly I haven't driven it much in the last few years, but no warping, no pad transfer. They still work like new.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN View Post
    Ive had oem brakes which are just OK , I've had a Baer 14" front kit with TCE stainless lines which was much better than oem , i have had several Wilwood kits which are far superior to anything i have ever used, I've installed Todds 14" kit on a friends Marauder its perfect!

And currently Todd is building me a custom 15" drilled/slotted setup with Aero 6 red calipers.

Bottom line is you will not build a better big brake system than a TCE/Wilwood kit.
    Regarding the 14" kits, I am starting to feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    I don't track my car, and maybe I'm easier on the brakes in general, but I've had my TCE/Wilwood kit on for 7-8 years...same rotors and same pads.

Admittedly I haven't driven it much in the last few years, but no warping, no pad transfer. They still work like new.
    With TCE 13" kits front and rear, I have gone through rotors (front and rear) too fast. I need a better solution for the weight of the Marauder and my driving habits. I will only be driving my power upgraded Marauder harder. I need a solution that can handle the 200 extra bhp and not burn through rotors so fast.

You could always gut the interior and swap out wheels for lighter weight 3 pieces. Cut some weight, improve braking.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'04 Marauder #357 of 3213 - Built and Eaton swapped - "MERCD"
    '21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '15 Mustang GT, performance package
    '01 BMW 740i M-Sport, manual swapped
    '97 Lincoln Town Car (black on black)
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownMaraud3r View Post
    You could always gut the interior and swap out wheels for lighter weight 3 pieces. Cut some weight, improve braking.
    Super light wheels..........

http://www.halltechsystems.com/Carbo...els-p/cr-9.htm
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information