Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine Rattle at start-up

What are the real ones?

How much would it cost to replace them

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened300a View Post
    I hope its not that stupid starter problem makes people think its the engine making noise.
    This noise also only happens on cold starts and is quiet on warm engines like you are describing.

This sound familiar?
    I know this thread is old, but this video is exactly the sound my Marauder makes at startup, I was concerned it could be timing chain related, so that is a relief.

Is a new starter the fix for this sound? Is it a sign of imminent starter failure or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by crownvic97 View Post
    I know this thread is old, but this video is exactly the sound my Marauder makes at startup, I was concerned it could be timing chain related, so that is a relief.

Is a new starter the fix for this sound? Is it a sign of imminent starter failure or anything?
    I have a cold start sound like the one in the you tube video on my black, {thanks for posting blackend}. It's packed away with it's winter tires right now. Always thought it was the guides issue, gotta get my head under there and see, hope it's the starter!

2003 300B DBP Marauder "beauty"
    Born 2/4/2003
    Adopted 8/17/2010

2003 300A black Marauder "beast"
    Adopted 7/15/2015

2013 Hyundia Elantra "eeew"

2013 Ford Explorer, loaded, nice truck!
    Adopted 12/6/2017

I have the same sound at start up, and did the timing cause i had tensioner issues last year, guess what same old sound at start up . Bendix is probably not disengage from flywheel in time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
    Vin: 2MEHM75V63X615175
    Build Date: 6/10/2002
    Serial#: 995 of 7839
    995 of 7093 Black

Accel coil on plugs/Autolite 104s/ K&N intake/Flowmaster 40s/Powdercoated goodys/
    LED Grille scanner/BIGCARSFOREVER Dead pedal/SCT Tune/BBK Power Plus twin blade 65mm throttle body

I put a MM motor in my Mach 1. Has this same sound at start up but also has a tick at low steady cruzing RPM. I can let off or give more throttle and it goes away. Everything I read says its the timing guides and tensioners. I hope it is because I am getting ready to drop 400+ on a timing set and a weekend to install it. I do not think the starter would make the light throttle rattle tick I have.

The rest of the story

This has been an old thread - shows how much I've driven this car in the last few years. Since my first post about the rattle at start up I've taken it to three different dealers. The first two said what many on here have said: "It's normal" or "It's not a big concern". One did tell me I had the wrong oil filter on it which was BS. He showed me a filter that I know didn't come off my car.

All that being said, I've just never had time to dig into the car myself. With the daughter reaching driving age, it had to come back on-line so I took it to a third dealer (Friendly Ford, Springfield, MO) who agreed to do the work.

As you can see, heavy wear is noted on all guides with pieces of them actually gone. The large piece was found in the oil pan. The tensioners were about to lose their seal and disassemble themselves. The timing ring with a missing tooth is a bonus find.

135,000 miles everyone. Rattled for 20k. Don't fool yourself! Change them early or lose an engine. It's a totally different car (like it was when I bought it new) now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

^ About what I figured.. I have 191k on mine, think I'll just build a shortblock..
    03 Marauder 300a
    392 hp / 406 tq

To save money I replaced just the guides and tensioners this weekend. Ordered everything from Summit 4 guides 2 hydraulic tensioners for 171. My old guides were worn down to the metal. The new guides helped with the light throttle rattle but not 100%. I still have the rattle at start up but that may be the starter from what I have read in threads.

Pic of the old tensioners. About 5mm worth of ware.

Pic of new stuff with part numbers for anyone interested.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information