Thread: 2005 4R70E OD repair

Thumbs up 2005 4R70E OD repair

Local Crown Vic owner contacted me last week about his recently purchased CVPI suddenly loosing Overdrive.

It's quite common for the 2004-2005 transmissions to break the Overdrive servo retaining ring and the broken pieces find their way into the valve body and lodge in the OD servo regulator valve.
    This causes the valve to become stuck in the exhaust position and OD servo will not apply. While this seems to be more common on F-150 trucks, it does happen to the CVPI models also. This failure is common enough that there is an updated, hardened retaining clip available

Originally, He wanted to bring the car to me to get fixed, but we couldn't get our schedules to align.

He decided to try the repair I mentioned on his own and with the help of a friend they got the valve body removed.
    With the valve body removed, they discovered, on this transmission the OD servo retaining clip was still intact. However, the valve in question
    still needed to be checked for proper operation and make sure there was no debris.

With my guidance over the phone, he got the valve body apart, located the correct valve and confirmed there was debris causing the valve to hang open.

It's not clear where the metal piece came from, but it was removed and confirmed the valve operated normally.
    The valve body was reassembled, installed on the transmission, torqued to spec and the transmission filled with fresh fluid.
    The owner reports the transmission has Overdrive again.
    Last edited by 88grandmarq; 05-15-2015 at 11:47 AM.
    I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E Transmissions, check out my Facebook page for my latest project; https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

That's just great. You are a kind person to take time and assist him like that. I can only imagine how he feels, especially after thinking in the beginning he would have to spend hundreds of dollars on repairs.
    2003 Black/Light Flint MM, PROCHARGER D1SC#30, 4.10 GEARS, REAR COOLING MOD, ZACK BIG BRAKE KIT, 3500 STALL, WIDENED REAR WHEELS.

1993 MUSTANG LX HATCH, 347 STROKER, 3.73 GEARS, TUBULAR K MEMBER, TKO 3550 TRANNY, AEROSPACE DUAL PISTON BREAKS.

Good post, great job!

Righteous Indignation
    03 300A
    4055 of 7838
    4054 of 7093 in Black.
    Born 8/23/02
    Adopted in 1/15
    SOLD

Thread Information