Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommended brake kits

Quote Originally Posted by lowndex View Post
    With TCE 13" kits front and rear, I have gone through rotors (front and rear) too fast. I need a better solution for the weight of the Marauder and my driving habits. I will only be driving my power upgraded Marauder harder. I need a solution that can handle the 200 extra bhp and not burn through rotors so fast.
    I never had a 13" kit in the front, but I did not find the 14" X 1.10" with FNSL6R caliper to do well at all in terms of longevity, pad transfer, and pedal pulsing. This is what all the kits in the past couple years have been to the best of my knowledge. The "beefier" 14" (and even 15") kits are a recent development with more fitment pain due to wheel clearance. Better to deal with the pain once, however, than repeatedly do brake jobs.

We'll see how the 14" kit with thicker rotors and Aero6 calipers does.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Regarding the 14" kits, I am starting to feel it.
    Hopefully one of us can put some miles on this setup before you need to pull the trigger. I believe it is possible to see the hard wear issue just by looking at the rotor surface.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownMaraud3r View Post
    You could always gut the interior and swap out wheels for lighter weight 3 pieces. Cut some weight, improve braking.

Um, the car weighs 4400+ lbs. I am not a brake expert, but I do not believe less weight in the wheel matters for typical street use. Downward force from speed to slow/stop is the main issue.

but I do not believe less weight in the wheel matters for typical street use.
    its physics, rotating weight does matter.
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

All weight matters.

Customer: What's the best thing I can do to improve the braking on my car?
    Answer: Take 500lbs out of it.

Interesting that you see this more and more now direct from the auto manufactures. They finally caught onto the fact that we as Americans like fat cars. And fat cars, bloated with power everything, large glass panels and more power suck the life out of brake parts.

The new F150 should be light years ahead of the pack for wear and life.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

I'm also interested to see how the new 14" kit with the aero6 calipers does. Hopefully someone can comment soon!
    2003 p71, 4.6L iron block, custom Manley Pistons, Manley i beam rods, forged crankshaft, revised 04 cobra 4v heads, VMP TVS Supercharger, t56 magnum, return style fuel system, blah blah blah.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I'm also interested to see how the new 14" kit with the aero6 calipers does. Hopefully someone can comment soon!
    I have a custom 15" Aero 6 kit , if the 14" kit will fit inside an 18" stock wheel you will need to add a 1/2" spacer (and longer studs 3") to clear the spokes on the factory wheels , the Aero 6 caliper is huge to say the least at 11.25" long , and it has some serious overhang on the rotor , very nice kit , but as Todd says the factory wheels aren't big brake friendly.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

I often wonder.... How do you people drive that need all these big brakes

Some for the track but they have sand pits that will stop you
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

Quote Originally Posted by lji372 View Post
    How else are we supposed to safely drive like maniacs

2005 Mercury S55
    Saleen Supercharged 2V

If I ever get time I will experiment with the CTS-V caliper. I'm 99.9% sure it is not do-able though.

I have 07-09 Mustang GT500 wheels on my car right now. I'm putting down just shy of 600rwhp so i'd like to stop as well as I go! I actually just test drove an 09 CTS-V sedan this past saturday and she stopped damn well. Thanks MOTOWN, and thanks Zack for all the things you do for us panther guys.
    2003 p71, 4.6L iron block, custom Manley Pistons, Manley i beam rods, forged crankshaft, revised 04 cobra 4v heads, VMP TVS Supercharger, t56 magnum, return style fuel system, blah blah blah.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by lji372 View Post

Some for the track but they have sand pits that will stop you
    If you ever get that silver car TUNED properly you will understand the need to stop! LOL!
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_S55 View Post
    How else are we supposed to safely drive like maniacs

What he said.

TCE Brakes ? I have Todd's TCE big brake kit on my Marauder, 14" front & 13" out back and my experience so far is that I wish I never purchased them. I had MO's install the front and rear TCE big brake kits on my 04 MM with 41,000 original miles and when I received the car out here in California via truck transport. The rotors were warped, I emailed Todd and he suggested that I repeat the pad bedding procedure. That only made the problem worse, Todd's response was that of innuendos about my driving style and that the pads should be changed out to a higher operating temp. pad. Also I also had a option of purchasing new rotors for $600.00. The rotors warped with less than 400 miles on them and they have another 1200 miles on them now with the warping only getting worse with every mile. If that isn't bad enough I'm dealing with a vendor (Todd/TCE) who's attitude is "sucks to be you". He already got his money! right. To top it off Marty is stuck in the middle in this hole thing. I no longer enjoy driving my MM because the only thing I can think about is the $3500.00 plus I spent just to drive around with warped rotors. So at the end of the day I would suggest not to spend a dime at TCE because Todd's customer service is less than desirable to say the least. Just looked at TCE website and noticed that there is a "plus 3" 14" front brake kit. Hmmm it has thicker rotors and radial mount calipers, it's almost like this new kit was put together to address a problem of rotors warping in the "plus 2" kit. I sure hope Todd steps up and takes care of my problem I have with his brake kit.
    Alec

Quote Originally Posted by kilm70 View Post
    TCE Brakes ? I have Todd's TCE big brake kit on my Marauder, 14" front & 13" out back and my experience so far is that I wish I never purchased them. I had MO's install the front and rear TCE big brake kits on my 04 MM with 41,000 original miles and when I received the car out here in California via truck transport. The rotors were warped, I emailed Todd and he suggested that I repeat the pad bedding procedure. That only made the problem worse, Todd's response was that of innuendos about my driving style and that the pads should be changed out to a higher operating temp. pad. Also I also had a option of purchasing new rotors for $600.00. The rotors warped with less than 400 miles on them and they have another 1200 miles on them now with the warping only getting worse with every mile. If that isn't bad enough I'm dealing with a vendor (Todd/TCE) who's attitude is "sucks to be you". He already got his money! right. To top it off Marty is stuck in the middle in this hole thing. I no longer enjoy driving my MM because the only thing I can think about is the $3500.00 plus I spent just to drive around with warped rotors. So at the end of the day I would suggest not to spend a dime at TCE because Todd's customer service is less than desirable to say the least. Just looked at TCE website and noticed that there is a "plus 3" 14" front brake kit. Hmmm it has thicker rotors and radial mount calipers, it's almost like this new kit was put together to address a problem of rotors warping in the "plus 2" kit. I sure hope Todd steps up and takes care of my problem I have with his brake kit.
    Alec
    Sorry for your problems. I would do a vendor review for sure.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information