Thread: Aviator transmission question

Aviator transmission question

Been trying to chase down a reason for why the '03 Aviator keeps sporadically throwing a 'doesn't recognize 2nd gear' code. Thought we might have had it fixed when we added an additive to 'de-gunk' possible sticky solenoids but the code came back. Now we are thinking to replace the solenoid valve body just inside the pan with a new one.

Are there other solenoids buried deeper in the transmission? I'm trying not to blow more money than needed. I'm not familiar with the 5R55W so if any of you mechanics have ripped into one I would appreciate your thoughts. If there are lots of moving parts beyond the valve body maybe it's time for a Jasper re-manufactured unit and be done with it and get the warranty.

Ive messed with the 5r55n it wasn't to bad. Not sure how similar they are on the 55n it was a complete solenoid pack 380.00 bucks if i remember right
    04 twin turbo Marauder custom made by myself 😁
    3800stall freddy Brown 4stbe trans 31 spline rear
    601rwhp 592rwtq @19psi

How many miles are on the trans?
    04 twin turbo Marauder custom made by myself 😁
    3800stall freddy Brown 4stbe trans 31 spline rear
    601rwhp 592rwtq @19psi

Solenoid packs and servo bores always going bad.

Typically going to have to pull the transmission to be able to install a bushing for the servo bores.
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

I have the 5R55S version in one of my Shelby GTs. It's rather stout, but has a series of common problems. Many of them are discussed in YouTube videos, including a step by step rebuild video. Check them out before deciding what to do.

Y'all be safe.
    Last edited by SergntMac; 03-01-2015 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
    How many miles are on the trans?
    About 148K

Quote Originally Posted by Logizyme View Post

Typically going to have to pull the transmission to be able to install a bushing for the servo bores.
    First time anyone has mentioned servo bores to me. Can a bad one cause the 'doesn't recognize 2nd gear' code?

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac View Post
    I have the 5R55S version in one of my Shelby GTs. It's rather stout, but has a series of common problems. Lots cartier are discussed in YouTube videos, including a step by step rebuild video. Check them out before deciding what to do.

Y'all be safe.
    Well I watched a few video's by Hiram the transmission guy and it's not sounding good for the Aviators present transmission. From what I could fathom it sounds more like servos are the culprit as the Aviator is shifting OK for the moment. No harshness which would indicate sticky solenoids. I'm thinking it has something to do with worn servos that cause inconsistent pressures. It's only a matter of time before a band gets broken thus loosing at least a gear or two.

Unfortunately, I do not know a transmission repair guy and from what I think I understand the problem to be a rebuild with parts and labor would be at least or almost as much as getting a rebuilt whole unit. So if the Mrs. wants to keep the Aviator a rebuilt transmission looks like the way to go.

Comments, thoughts?

Video that I believe covers the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNugELqS2qI

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post

Comments, thoughts?
    Any Ford dealer should be able to install a reman Ford unit and it will include a warranty, I believe 3/36 on their transmissions
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

When I worked as a Lincoln Mercury tech we sent the problem transmissions to a local transmission shop who either did the repair or replacement. We added a percentage to the customers bill - never got our hands dirty. The transmission shop covered any warranty repairs on their work.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Logizyme View Post

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=70930

The transmissions themselves seem pretty stout, it's just those damn bores that always fail. But it may be time for a rebuild at that many miles. If you can talk someone into fixing it for 2K it might be worth doing, but the value on those year vehicles has plummeted now so I wouldn't put too much into it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBoomz View Post
    http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=70930

The transmissions themselves seem pretty stout, it's just those damn bores that always fail. But it may be time for a rebuild at that many miles. If you can talk someone into fixing it for 2K it might be worth doing, but the value on those year vehicles has plummeted now so I wouldn't put too much into it.
    I think you need to overbore them then slip in a OE sleeve. Not sure all shops can do this and it will be expensive to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    I think you need to overbore them then slip in a OE sleeve. Not sure all shops can do this and it will be expensive to do.
    And probably no or limited warranty??

I have a friend with a 2006 Mariner that is having the same sort of problem(s)......$1800 valve body and 5 hours R&R......ridiculous!!

I'd probably go with the FORD reman deal....at least you would have a warranty you can count on!!
    No Marauder

Thread Information