Thread: Sparkplug diagnostics:

Sparkplug diagnostics:

Okay, it's cool to have a scanner.....I just removed the sparkplugs from my S/Ced Marauder. They had 13,000 miles on them since I installed the Trilogy Supercharger.The car has a total of 24,000 miles on it. Below are pics of all eight of the plugs. They look perfect which indicates a perfect engine tune as well as a healthy engine. I think this indicates what a great engine tune has been burned into the chip by Lidio of Alternative Automotive, which was included in the price of the Trilogy Supercharger kit. Notice how the plugs aren't overly sooty, nor do the insulators on them show signs of burning nor cracking......BTW, I've only had my car dyno TESTED. I've never had it dyno TUNED by anyone. I've simply stayed with the engine tune that there was burned into the chip I received when I purchased the Trilogy S/Cer......I just thought this might be of interest to some of you motorheads.
    Last edited by BillyGman; 08-09-2006 at 04:40 AM.

here's a better view......
    Last edited by BillyGman; 08-09-2006 at 04:40 AM.

Wow! Great info, Billy! Thanks for taking the time to share the diagnostic info. I hope my plugs look as good when I [ I mean carfixer] pull them out for inspection. Anyway, I'll be back home in a few weeks...Dunkin' Donuts here we come!
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Trilogy Supercharger Serial #0054
    Installed by Carfixer 10/16/2004

Tallboy's Garage

HMMMMMMM.....

Billy I detect a faint, burnt black 'RUBBER-like' deposit on those plugs!!!
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh
    HMMMMMMM.....

I hear that! LOL
    No doubt those burnouts keep the plugs as spotless as they are!
    Nice work Billy!
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Thanks Billy, that settles yet another delema.. Do I run the program that comes with the kit? Or get a new tune. I will simple plug in the new chip and dyno test. Another appreciated moment on MM.net.

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

HMMMMMMM.....

LOL........yeah, I was thinking the same thing after I watched my burnout video the first couple times. That engine must have been breathing in a whole lotta smoke!!! They should make special "smokeless" air filters for guys like Barry and I.

Quote Originally Posted by Defyant
    Thanks Billy, that settles yet another delema.. Do I run the program that comes with the kit? Or get a new tune. I will simple plug in the new chip and dyno test. Another appreciated moment on MM.net.
    From what I'm hearing, you would likely get an extra 10-20 HP out of your car by getting a custom dyno tune. However, it would be a 10-12 hour ride for me to go to Lidio for that, and I wouldn't have a Supercharged Marauder tuned by anyone but Lidio. He's the best tuner that I know of for the S/Ced 4.6L engine, and I've talked with some other tuners who didn't know what they were talking about as much as they were trying to come across as experts. Lidio burns a good and conservative tune into every chip that comes with the Trilogy S/Cer kits, and as you see below in my sig, I've run good and consistent quaretermile ET's with that chip, as well as some fun daily driving on the street in temperatures from 6 degrees to 87 degrees. BTW, my car dynoed at 400 HP to the wheels, so I'm very satisfied with that.

Just shows me, quality products produce quality results. We are fortunate here, this site does give us access to the better aftermarket stuff for our cars.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

Will I have to change the custom tune when I get the Kooks exhaust? It will have to be awhile with the Trilogy + install and the paint work I want done....

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

Quote Originally Posted by Defyant
    Will I have to change the custom tune when I get the Kooks exhaust? It will have to be awhile with the Trilogy + install and the paint work I want done....
    If your aftermarket exhaust installation takes place after the S/Cer installation does, then just call Lidio about that. And if you already have the aftermarket modifications when you install the S/cer kit, then Jerry Barnes at Trilogy should be consulted about that BEFORE the S/Cer is installed. And i don't believe that you'll be charged anything extra because of those mods. just make them aware of all your mods.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman
    LOL........yeah, I was thinking the same thing after I watched my burnout video the first couple times. That engine must have been breathing in a whole lotta smoke!!! They should make special "smokeless" air filters for guys like Barry and I.
    I was wondering the same thing as I watched your burnout videos....

When doing a NORMAL burnout (non-BillyGman) one doesn't have to worry about the engine injesting tire smoke, BUT, your engine MUST HAVE been pulling in a LOT of tire smoke.
    I was worried about detonation, but the engine wasn't really under a heavy load, as you weren't moving 4400 LB at all!

Which leads to another question: Can you burn rubber TWICE!?!?
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

I was wondering the same thing as I watched your burnout videos....

When doing a NORMAL burnout (non-BillyGman) one doesn't have to worry about the engine injesting tire smoke, BUT, your engine MUST HAVE been pulling in a LOT of tire smoke.
    I was worried about detonation, but the engine wasn't really under a heavy load, as you weren't moving 4400 LB at all!

Which leads to another question: Can you burn rubber TWICE!?!?
    LOL......(burn rubber twice ).......as far as the engine being under load, it wasn't under a full load, no, but because I kept it revving at about 5,800 RPM's in third gear for the first burnout in the opening scene of my video, i was at a three quarter throttle position, and the supercharger was supplying plenty of boost pressure. So that was a genuine S/Ced burnout. I can tell you that.

Thread Information