Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My own car trivia addition to the site

My own car trivia addition to the site

Or: How I announced, in a deadpan way, that I am no longer a Marauder owner.

The Marauder is gone. I've alluded, in other threads, how the Hulk's mechanical state and my own frustration levels went in some highly inversely proportional directions (read that "different ways" for those of you not versed in nerd-speak), and I'd had enough.

So...what'd I get? Here's the hints...not surprisingly, TripleTA figures prominently in at least 2 of them.

1) Not built by Dodge. I know I'd said that I was going after a Charger; fate intervened in the form of the fiancee, who said she wanted something that she could drive too and she wasn't comfortable with the big Dodge.

2) Not built by FMC or any of it's subsidiaries.

3) TripleTA owns three cars from this company.

4) TripleTA also showed us once in one of the threads here that he used to own one of these cars, made by the same company that also made his three "ladies".

5) It could have been grounds for industrial espionage charges from L-M against said car company; the specs on it read EXACTLY like the Marauder...until you get to the drive wheels, which are the front end.

6) Not really a hint...more of a declaration that no, I haven't lost my mind completely; I DID make my color selection Black. It's the Son of Hulk.

Meanwhile...I have some final dispositions to make. I have a few small Marauder things that I'd just as soon part with; as the line from the Bob Dylan song goes, "I can't use them...anymore." I've got the following that I'll discuss terms of sale on:

1 2XL Marauder jacket---will be willing to go about $30 and cover the cost of shipping charges.

1 Marauder-specific nose bra and hood cover---bought the kit from Ray last year, used it for maybe 1000 miles or so. Make offer; include shipping charges in same.

For the local HI-based MM types: I got 1 rear tire. The mate to it was punctured in shipping the Hulk over here and this one's sat in my garage since September. I guesstimate the mileage on it at about 7,500, give or take a bit. Price: Only the cost of the gas to come out here to Hawaii Kai and get it.

My head's a real mess right now; I'm sorrowful that the Marauder had to go....I'm happy as hell with the replacement and so is the fiancee...and I'm still shaking from having to deal with the dealer for 5 hours this afternoon...and I'm feeling heavily the emotional "crash" that happens after a big life-changing experience like this---in other words, I'm really beat.

The Hulk did not go in vain; I did learn one big lesson out of it that got applied today: I bought the extended warranty. I'm covered now for the next 6 years or 70,000 miles, which will cover me for the length of the loan.

Now for some elaboration:

While it has not always been a pleasant experience being here in the Marauder community, it has never failed to be both stimulating and educational. I came to realize this afternoon just how much I'd learned about this car; as we were making our way to the dealer, my fiancee was asking me questions: "What's that creak?" "that's just the front swaybar dear..." and I was able to explain why. "What's that popping noise?" "That's the front shock mounts honey..." and again I explained it. "Why are you at only 1000 rpms at 40 miles per hour?" "Well, sweetie, it's like this..."and went into about 10-15 minutes of explanation about transmission shift schedule programming.

These were all things that I never knew 3 years ago. I have this community to thank for improving my education on the subject. You see, I never had the fun (and yes, I do actually mean "fun") of an automotive shop class in high school. I've never taken any real education on automotive mechanicals; all of you, in some way or another, have become my de facto teachers on the intricacies of modern auto technology. For this, I am obliged to offer to each and every one of you a very humble note of thanks.

I commented just a little above this on how it hasn't always been fun. Anybody remember the Darkside? I think I can point to that as the starting point for the chain of events that ended today. There are not words enough or adequate to express my supreme frustration (and some real feelings of betrayal) when the one site that I count heavily on for support with a super-unique vehicle instead turns me into an unwitting guinea pig. (To this day, I'd still like to see Logan's doctorate in Human Psychology, the one that allows him to conduct such experiments.) I made up my mind at that point that the Marauder was going to have to go, because my one source of any help at all was now closed to me.

We all know the rest of the history from here; the Darkside closed, Menace got *****canned, and things settled down to a dull mutter---albeit an uneasy one. For my part, I eventually got over it...not without some difficulty, but I dealt with it in my own way.

And then the Hulk started falling apart along some very serious seams, and I had a new problem on my hands...for a while there, around late November/early December, it seemed like for every one thing I'd fix or have fixed, 3 more things would break. At one point I was limping along on busted front control arms, a bad A/C, a gross misalignment, and severely weakened shocks. The car felt like it would fly apart at the seams any minute. Not good. Even worse, really, because I'm out here literally on the edge of the civilized world...and they don't know too much about Marauders out here.

I even considered putting out an SOS to Lidio; actually considered the idea of asking the man to ship his tools out here, get on a plane, and come out to try and alleviate some of the suffering. My sanity reasserted itself after a while.

Faced with a crumbling vehicle, and not being too sure about my source of aid, I found myself in a tough situation and having to make the call: The Marauder was going to have to go. I didn't really want to do it, but as I've said before, there comes a point in any endeavor where you just have to ask yourself "Is this really worth it?"

And so here I am. When last seen, the Hulk was on the back lot of the dealership, looking weathered and beaten under a rusty lean-to shed. The replacement is enjoying its new home in the garage. I don't have Homelink in this one, so I'm back to using the clicker like anybody else.

I wish to extend sincere notes of thanks to Donny Carlson, TripleTA, Mac, MartyO, dwasson, wchain and the STOMP boys, Cruztaker, Bob Mathis (good to see you back!), Petrograde, Maury, Gunslinger, vpalhories, HwyCruiser, Dennis Rinehart, and Lidio; I enjoyed conversing with all of you at various times during my Marauder days. Should I ever encounter any of you on the road, the left lane is yours, gentlemen, and I will be most happy to give it up for you. If I forgot anybody, the fault is mine and mine alone, and I deeply apologize.

A special note to jabird56: Might see ya again in STL in a few years...we'll see. I'm really bucking for a Florida assignment though. Keep a tight grip on that "little red button", sir....may need ya out here sometime. Al says hi and he's doing well.

For Logan himself: You've a fine site here, even if you are an ogre about managing it sometimes. To be fair, as I stand back and look at the big picture, I guess such an approach is a necessary evil in this territory. Thank you sir!

My final note for the evening: One last note of thanks to MM03K, aka "The Bunny Lady". Mary, you've been remarkably kind and helpful to this old burrhog. Without ever having met me, you've helped me out on at least a few difficult spots, and been the very picture of cheerfulness and assistance. I'm sure we won't see "BurninRubber" again anytime soon....please allow me to extend a heartfelt and humble thank you.

That's it. If you ever hear a throaty V-8 rumble, look around...might be me.
    Last edited by marauder307; 04-16-2006 at 02:40 PM.
    Traveling the world on PONTIAC power!

V-8 Impy?
    Great read!
    Best of luck with the new ride!
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

Mad4Macs Guest
    Hey! I traded mine in (for the "mechanical problem" reasons, and I had many, many more of them than you had), but it doesn't mean that you can't still hang out

Sounds like he bought a "GXP" [think Bonneville], which are actually quite nice and perform well, even if it's wrong-wheel-drive. Congrats and nice write-up 307. I do you'll hope you'll drop in from time-to-time.
    Last edited by Tallboy; 04-16-2006 at 04:59 AM.
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Trilogy Supercharger Serial #0054
    Installed by Carfixer 10/16/2004

Tallboy's Garage

Best wishes my friend, you're always welcome here.

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    Best wishes my friend, you're always welcome here.
    ^^^ What he said. ^^^ I wish you and your fiancée only the best, Baker. Please keep in touch!
    MOK

|Administrator, MM.Net | International Director of Membership|

--------------------------

I don't brake for curves!

The eyes may be the doorway to the soul,

but the voice is the chariot to the heavens

PM Waiting for you on the Jacket!

John

Sorry to see a nother Marauder owner go but I can understand your frustration. I would also venture to say a GXP sweet looking car.
    '04 MARAUDER
    Born on 4/20/04 -- Foster Care on 5/11/04 -- Adopted on 01/27/05
    Heated Seats 6 Disc CD Changer Moonroof
    JLT CAI--Silverstars Heads/Fogs--SCT-9100
    SB IX - SB X - SB XIII - SB XIV - SB XL - SB XLIII
    Trilogy S/C In Due Time

I think I remember our friend /Steve mentioning he once owned a Parisienne, which IIRC was called the Bonneville here...

If you find out who buys your MM, send them here...we can still help.

Sorry to lose you from the ranks, but I hope you have better luck with your new wheels...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Sorry the Marauder had to go.
    You bought a Pontiac Soltice.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

To all those who guessed Bonneville GXP, you all win. A round, all around. I didn't want to give up my full-size four-door room, and Terri
    (the current fiancee/future boss...er, wife. Sorry dear...) thought the B-ville looked sexy. Not surprisingly, she used to be a Grand Am owner...

The stats on the Bonnie read like a carbon copy of the Marauder:

4.6L 32V V-8 (in this case, the Caddy's Northstar)
    Full-size 4-door body (looks clean---Pontiac finally got rid of all that tacked-on plastic crapola)
    4-speed automatic
    18 X 8 specialty rims (the Bonnie has same size tires all around---Goodyear Eagle RSA 235/50WR18s)
    And I get red-painted calipers and brushed aluminum doorsills and pedals from the factory---Woot!

The dual exhausts aren't true duals; because the engine's mounted funny (transversely) Pontiac could only get a single exhaust running aft. It hits a
    Y-pipe just forward of the gas tank and then goes out back. The tips look suspiciously like SLP Loudmouths. They got the exhaust tone right, for sure;
    sounds even more aggressive than the stock exhaust I had on my Marauder.

And there's BUTTONS! Buttons, buttons everywhere. For an incorrigible technophile like me, this is heaven; we actually sat on the lot for about 20 minutes last night, with me pushing buttons. Terri finally tugged my arm and said, "Sweetie, we have to go now..."

An interesting sidenote: The Pontiac place actually had a Grand Prix GXP on the lot; Arrest-Me Red with all the options. But they wouldn't sell it to me; it was brought in by Pontiac's corporate brass for the big Hawaii Auto Show last weekend, and Pontiac wouldn't let their own dealer sell it...at least, not yet anyway.

Pics will follow, and I'm looking at the PM's I got overnight...I promise I'll answer everybody!

Thanks!
    Last edited by marauder307; 04-16-2006 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Had to add some stuff!

Finally....the pics I promised!

Having fun with my new Photobucket account...

Nice looking hunk of metal!
    White Lightning Kiarauder:
    2011 Kia Forte EX Minisculus Pimpmobilius Extremus
    Built-in Nav, Bluetooth, USB port, aux/ipod jack, ]2 power ports and Sunroof! six speed auto trans w/ Sportmatic, dead pedal, rear-view camera. Voice cmd for radio, sat, nav, cell phone and MP3.
    Four very muscular, steroid-enhanced, genetically mutated, Mountain Dew injected, wild racing hamsters cavorting under the hood.
    ............................... ...................
    Black Thunder:
    2004 Marauder - Black w/black interior
    Sequence number is 39 of 3213
    Traded in 12/12/10
    --------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    XCalibrator2/Reinhart tune
    Sequence number is 37 of 327
    10/10/2009 ---- Blue Thunder has gone on to a much better place -----
    Martyo's Garage!!!!!

Excellent choice. I am suprised you could find a new one 2005 was the last model year.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Oval
    Excellent choice. I am suprised you could find a new one 2005 was the last model year.
    Yeah...the Pontiac place had 4 of them still left on the lot. 2 of the White-Gold Tricoat (pearl white---you still see it on the Escalade/some of the Cadillacs/Buicks), the black one I bought, and 1 Crimson Tintcoat (just like the DTR color on the MM).

This car-buying experience in Hawaii has taught me a few things about the place. #1: Dealers out here charge absolutely criminal markups---all of those leftover GXPs had $4k markups over sticker; mine, after markup, came out to over $40k. (I only got a break because I looked 'em square in the eye and said, "I know this car's been here a while, you guys need to move it, so gimme a break." It had been too; the state inspection paperwork was dated 3/15/05...) #2: Hawaii is---apparently, anyway---a dumping ground for unsold new cars. The dealers here end up taking a lot of unsold inventory. I saw this at the Dodge dealers while digging around for a new Charger; all of a sudden, the Dodge places ended up with a ton of new Charger R/Ts with the R/T package.

For ckadiddle: well, mostly metal. Considering the size of that rear bumper cover, I think I've got an entire recycled Fiero hanging off the rear end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information