Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 Marauder Reliability

2003 Marauder Reliability

I have noticed many posts over the past few months outlining various problems with Marauders, most of which seem to be low-mileage, well-maintained vehicles compared to most vehicles on the street.

I formerly had a 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, plus 2006 and 2008 Lincoln TownCars, which never gave me a minute's trouble (I am preparing to drive the 2008 to Seattle next month).
    So, I was wondering, all things being equal, if the Marauder simply requires more maintenance/repair than the Marquis.
    Could it be that having had only a two-year run meant that all the bugs were not quite worked out?
    Or is it just that they are high-performance units and therefore receive more vigorous workouts than the standard grocery-getter. Or are they just tempermental?

I would be very interested to hear what you guys have to say on this issue.

cromer

The Marauders were built from components already in Ford's stock and there really isn't a "weak link" in any system on the Marauder that is unique to the Marauder. The same DOHC engine was used in the Mach I and the Lincoln Aviator, and has proved to be a robust and reliable power plant. The early 2003s had an issue with soft axle shafts, as did other panthers. Failing o-rings in the HVAC system will eventually cause the air output to default to defrost only- in every Ford that uses the EATC system. The blower resistor module can also fail, and it's the same unit used in the other panthers of the same vintage with EATC. I can't think of a specific issue that some Marauder owners have had that is unique to the Marauder only, with the exception of those that are constantly beat on by their owners/drivers, or those that have been boosted beyond their reliable limits.
    04 MM Silver Birch/Light Flint, HS, TO, 6CD, #597 of 3214 (sold 5/2014)
    06 MGM LS Ultimate w/HPP, Black/Dark Charcoal
    04 MGM LS Ultimate
    69 Marquis convertible, 429
    95 F250HD 7.3 4x4
    48 Ford F4

I have an 03. I have put ~40k on her out of the current 73k. I have had zero issues.
    Not sure if I qualify in your low mileage category.
    Previous
    2003 DPB 232 fo 328.

Quote Originally Posted by tingsgrove View Post
    I have noticed many posts over the past few months outlining various problems with Marauders, most of which seem to be low-mileage, well-maintained vehicles compared to most vehicles on the street.

I would be very interested to hear what you guys have to say on this issue.

cromer
    I would characterize the Marauder reliability as excellent. Mine is 10 years old with 94K miles and gets regularly serviced with no major issues at all. Many MMs on this site are over 100K and several are at the 200-250K mark. In general, the overall Panther platform is very reliable if well maintained.

That said, there are a few common problems that afflict the entire line of MM, GM, CV, and Town Cars that include:

1. Wacky Wipers caused by a blocked drain allowing water to build up under the wiper motor and electronic module that caused "Uncommanded Operation" of the wipers.
    2. Lighting Control Module (LCM) causing lighting issues.
    3. Bad O-Rings on the Environmental and Temperature Control (EATC) Module that affect the air conditioning to cut out under load/acceleration.
    4. Lights flickering on the door buttons.
    5. Hood squeak fixed by using rubber bumpers and adjusting the hood stops.
    6. Sluggish window operation or binding. Lube channel or realign the window guides.

There may be some other "minor" issues that are readily corrected but I would not characterize the above as Reliability problems.

If you have some specific issues that you have seen that concern you, it might be best to spell them out here to get proper feedback.
    Last edited by Bluerauder; 09-26-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

I think mine has been very good. We modify our cars pretty heavily and then drive them aggressively, so I think that leads to more wear and tear than a DD grocery getter. Plus, we tend to fret about things more! which leads to replacing parts sooner than may be needed (pro actively).
    2003 300B
    VIN: 677166, #6738 of 7839
    built: 2/13/03
    wrty start: 5/28/03
    69,810 miles @ adoption from Marauder57 02/21/07
    84,197 on 02/21/08
    95,776 on 02/21/09
    109,301 on 02/21/10
    121,447 on 02/21/11
    125,925 on 02/26/12
    130,375 on 01/01/13
    134,831 on 2/4/14
    149,441 on 2/24/18
    Dark Blue Pearl, #128 of 327

Inherited mods: 4.10's, 180 'stat, Addco Rear Sway Bar, Ceramic-coated Cobra Manifolds, DR's X-Pipe kit w/hi-flow cats, KVR X-Drilled Brake Rotors (rear), PI 3000 TC, DR's Tranny Upgrade 1.5, DR's Rear Engine Cooling Mod, Metal Matrix Drive Shaft, Zack-Mack Rear U&L Control Arms.

My mods: aluminum lower grill screen, tranny cooler, DR's NoIC Novi SL 1200 S/C kit self-installed 8/11-8/14/08, Zack's tranny tune, dyno tuned by Justin Starkey @ VMP Tuning: 447 RWHP/386 RWTQ. DDM 5000k HIDs, KB BAP w/upgraded wiring, RacerX modded FPDM, front springs cut 1.25 coils

I can say without a doubt both Marauders I owned were extremely reliable.

Matt H.
    (sold)2004' SB, 268rwhp/295tq
    1990 Mustang GT, Dart 363, Si-trim, T56, Holley Terminator X. 622rwhp/527tq
    2003 SVT Cobra, Posi Port 497rwhp/481tq. SCT Pro Racer Pack.
    2017 F-150, 5.0
    2013 SHO DIB Performance Pack

The LCM is an 03-04 issue for all Panther platform cars. MM less reliable - no, 03-04 Panthers have unique issues from other years - yes.

I my opinion (as a Ford guy) Ford has some serious electronics design issues. On our cars alone you have:
    LCM issue
    BCM issue

My dad's 05 Mustang GT had major stereo issues
    My brand new 13 F150 has stereo issues
    My wife's old 06 Milan had HVAC blower speed issues.
    2018 F-250 6.7L Crew Cab 4x4
    2013 Dodge Charge R/T Daily Driver/Beater - All original 208K miles and counting
    Sold - 04 Marauder, Silver, Dark Interior, Factory Sunroof.
    Z-Tune, JLT CAI, Z&M Control Arms, KYB Shocks, BC4E Dead Pedal, Pro Guard, Sparta Watts links, R1 Slotted Front Rotors, Braided SS Brake Lines, Automatic Traction Control "Turner-Offer".
    4.10 FRPP gears awaiting install (on extended hold).

2003 Marauder Reliability

Guys, thank you for your observations here. They put my mind at rest.

I also peruse the Triumph Forum and the Mustang Forum, but have come to the conclusion that the Marauder brain trust embodied herein makes them look like shade-tree mechanics.

I guess part of the equation is that the new Marauders were limited production vehicles receiving only a two-year run. And maybe another part is that many of you owners are older guys with a wealth of mechanical experience and technical know-how.

cromer

I think if you were reading a club thread from say a Panther group you would hear the same problems,from you younger guy's you would not remember the cars of the 60's, 70's etc when door handles feel off !!!!!!! The electronic's cause more problems but in the old days there were few cars with all the new items, like cruise control, electric window's etc! With more items the more problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerauder View Post
    I would characterize the Marauder reliability as excellent. Mine is 10 years old with 94K miles and gets regularly serviced with no major issues at all. Many MMs on this site are over 100K and several are at the 200-250K mark. In general, the overall Panther platform is very reliable if well maintained.

That said, there are a few common problems that afflict the entire line of MM, GM, CV, and Town Cars that include:

1. Wacky Wipers caused by a blocked drain allowing water to build up under the wiper motor and electronic module that caused "Uncommanded Operation" of the wipers.
    2. Lighting Control Module (LCM) causing lighting issues.
    3. Bad O-Rings on the Environmental and Temperature Control (EATC) Module that affect the air conditioning to cut out under load/acceleration.
    4. Lights flickering on the door buttons.
    5. Hood squeak fixed by using rubber bumpers and adjusting the hood stops.
    6. Sluggish window operation or binding. Lube channel or realign the window guides.

There may be some other "minor" issues that are readily corrected but I would not characterize the above as Reliability problems.

If you have some specific issues that you have seen that concern you, it might be best to spell them out here to get proper feedback.
    My Marauder problems have all been with the electronic controlled features.
    The suspension, engine and drive train are all good. (build date after Jan 2003 for solution to the rear problem)
    Jim

Back in the 50/60's, we wouldn't go near a car with power windows. Nothing but problems.

A used 1950's car with 60,000 miles was considered ready for the heap. (Of course, there are exceptions.)

There's a reason why I don't see other early/mid 60's Galaxies at auto shows in New Jersey. Most rusted out. (I repaired my Galaxie's trunk decades ago.Two large rust holes developed where the rear tires flung ice/salt against the trunk pan. My right front fender came from Seattle, rear bumper from San Diego, front bumper from Virginia, and there are a few other body replacement parts patched in.)

My buddy had a beautiful 57 Ford convert. One day, we decided to leap into the back seat without opening the doors.

One guy put a hole in the rusted out floor pan.

Enjoy the car my friend. When an issue arises then fix it. There
    is no car out there that doesn't have an issue
    cheers

Sam

One More

One more Panther chassis issue not mentioned are window switches.

====
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

My Marauder is at about 145,000 miles. I drive it mostly on weekends these days. I still feel its very reliable.

However, having said that, I did do the LCM, BCM, EATC o-rings, and Blend Door Actuator. But those things can be easy fixes if you are a do it yourselfer and do your research on this site.

The only major problem I've had was the valve seat thing. But the car has been good again after the repair, cross your fingers.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

Quote Originally Posted by Green96 View Post
    The LCM is an 03-04 issue for all Panther platform cars. MM less reliable - no, 03-04 Panthers have unique issues from other years - yes.

I my opinion (as a Ford guy) Ford has some serious electronics design issues. On our cars alone you have:
    LCM issue
    BCM issue

My dad's 05 Mustang GT had major stereo issues
    My brand new 13 F150 has stereo issues
    My wife's old 06 Milan had HVAC blower speed issues.
    Well Ford did buy up British car companies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information