Page 1 of 14 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Turbo LS or Turbo 4v stock motor.....info inside.

Going Turbo LS or Turbo 4v stock motor.....info inside.

Hi! As many of you know, I'm new to the Forum and Marauder scene. However, I'm not new to hotrodding or modifications. I'm a technician at the Blue Oval dealer by trade and absolutely love my hobby building and racing cars.

A few of you might know me from my last project, a Turbocharged '97 Crown Vic with a 6.0L Chevy motor/trans:

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...Number=2597468

I've since acquired a Marauder.....and am contemplating doing the same swap as my Vic with this one. Now, many of you are screaming.....WHY not turbo the stock 4v motor??? Well, simply put, I made nearly 600 rear wheel HP from a $600 salvage yard engine with the LS setup, which is fairly common, and drove it for 2 years that way before selling it.

I had posted the question of how much can a stock 4v Marauder engine handle, and it seems the concensus was around 500 rear wheel hp is on borrowed time.

But, I kind of had a quell with that. I have several friends who race with me, and one of them has a stock 2v 5.4L Lightning running north of 600 rear wheel hp with a Kenne Bell/supporting mods, for 6 years running now. Being a Ford tech, I'm well aware the lightning motor is a stock 5.4L with different pistons, it's not forged like it's Cobra counterpart is.....

So, knowing this, in all honesty, if this stock motor can make 600 RWHP......I too believe I'm better off keeping it and going all Blue Oval on this build, but I need some expert opinions and some with experience in boosting the stock 4v 4.6L.

I'm not interested in swapping it for a Cobra motor, or putting much of any money into the stock Marauder engine, as the cost to make the Ford setup viable vs. the LS isn't negotiable here simply due to the fact I can get an LS in here on the cheap and offset most of the costs simply by selling the stock Marauder engine.

So, any help is appreciated in making my decision before I begin this adventure. Also, I'd greatly appreciate if anyone would share what else needs to be upgraded to get around 600 rear wheel HP, as far as trans/fuel system. How much can the 4R70W take? What needs to be upgraded in it to hold?

I'm all about keeping it Ford, if it's close to cost effective vs. the GM motor . And, I've done the body on this Marauder Justice with a fully redone professional paint job before I begin:

I could never believe why you sold that other car. It was AWESOME.

Anyway, here is my turbo build thread:

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/foru...ct-thread.html
    Here is Seneca's

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=93530

A stock 4R70w with a J-mod starts to act funny around 550rwhp.

Thank you for that Zack, I will look though your build thread in full when I get some sit down time. I'm seriously contemplating the Ford powertrain at this point.....but want to make sure I get the most information I can about what they can handle and what needs to be addressed before I make the decision.

The Vic, I got a cash offer on, and well...money talks! Now that I've procured a Marauder, I'm very excited! Just not sure which way I'm going at this point.....

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    If you want to run a Turbo on the stock 4 valve your going to want to stay at or below 450rwhp , otherwise a forged 4.6l is in order for higher boost.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

I see......

So, here's my question, on the Lightning pickups. I have a friend that has a '00 with a stock short block with a Kenne Bell 2.3L @ 14 psi. The truck is a religious bracket racing pickup, and has been for the last 6+ years.

Truck traps 115-117 mph, which puts it squarely in the 600+ RWHP range.

Lightning pickups are a production 2v 5.4L motor less dished pistons, they are not forged or anything special unlike their Cobra counterparts. How.....do they hold up to more HP than the 4v 4.6L in this case? It's not uncommon for those lightning guys to run stock shortblocks in this power range, so I'm told?

Not trying to start a war, just trying to get a good comprehension on what path this project will follow.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Quote Originally Posted by 96gt4.6 View Post
    I see......

So, here's my question, on the Lightning pickups. I have a friend that has a '00 with a stock short block with a Kenne Bell 2.3L @ 14 psi. The truck is a religious bracket racing pickup, and has been for the last 6+ years.

Truck traps 115-117 mph, which puts it squarely in the 600+ RWHP range.

Lightning pickups are a production 2v 5.4L motor less dished pistons, they are not forged or anything special unlike their Cobra counterparts. How.....do they hold up to more HP than the 4v 4.6L in this case? It's not uncommon for those lightning guys to run stock shortblocks in this power range, so I'm told?

Not trying to start a war, just trying to get a good comprehension on what path this project will follow.
    Very familiar with the 2nd gen Lightnings , as you said they have 5.4L 2 valve motors , which are more cubic inches , a mod motor , but different from a 4.6L , I've never seen one pushing 600 to the wheels on a stock motor (not saying it doesn't exist) most guys try to stay around 450-550 on the stock internals , some window the blocks , some don't , purely luck of the draw on a stock motor.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

I see....

As much as I want to stay blue oval with this one.....I just don't see it in my future with these details......

I wish the 4v stuff wasn't so expensive, i'd love to mess with a turbo 4v!

If I may ask, how $ did the re-paint cost?

Since when did 600rwhp get you 113mph? 600whp is more like 130mph

Also, I don't believe for a second that a stock marauder motor will make 600whp and last.

Lastly, why are you throwing a turbo on a 6.0L? the 5.3L is where the turbo bang for the buck is. I Have 4 different friends running 5.3L making over 700whp with a bone stock 5.3L and supporting mods.

Buddie has a 6.0L in a 2005 RX8 with c6z06 heads, mild cam and exhaust. makes 582rwhp. Nasty nasty car.

if you have any questions pm me.

My fastest pass in the Vic was 123 mph, 14 psi, 4200 lbs race weight.

MPH/weight would put it around 600 RWHP, however I did not ever have it on the rollers to verify that.

This was also a bone stock 6.0L, stock cam, stock everything except valve springs (PRC Duals).

It seems as if my question has been fully answered, and that is, the Ford engine would not be a good option for my goals.

Lowndex, the paint job was cost of supplies only, ~$600

Quote Originally Posted by 96gt4.6 View Post
    Lowndex, the paint job was cost of supplies only, ~$600
    I'm headed to Kansas!!!
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

Now I thought the Lightnings were forged cranks Manley H-beams, & dished pistons? Forged internals matter; I've heard of the stock, non-forged rods snapping at the 450-500 horse mark. I don't think you can get super high with a stock motor before things start dying. Here's what happens: http://youtu.be/NIHUQQbjoPU

What you could do is get a set of 4.6 Manley rods from an '03-'04 Cobra off ebay. I've seen those for around $600, but that's for a used set, and I don't if you should really trust used rods. I haven't tried it yet so I can't tell ya!

2005 Mercury S55
    Saleen Supercharged 2V

Back when we had our SVT training classes online, the Lightning and Cobra engines were detailed pretty well, and I'm 99% sure it was clearly stated that they were production motors with dished pistons for lower compression.

Now the Cobra, yes, all forged.

haha, and on the paint cost, it helps when you work at a dealer and supplies are cheap, as well as having friends that can paint and access to a paint booth.

Did a quick search, and they did have forged cranks. You can still get them from Ford (PN M-6303-M54) I was wrong about the rods, my bad.

2005 Mercury S55
    Saleen Supercharged 2V

Page 1 of 14 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread Information