PDA

View Full Version : Performance Mods

Romo53
07-26-2002, 07:21 PM
Howdy!
Guess I'm the newest member here. I'm really not suprised to see a forum already running for the Marauder. Anyhoo, I spoke to a dealer rep today who told me that Ford is going to market a performance chip specifically for the Marauder. The convertable with the supercharged motor is slated to be released next spring. Just when you thought you had the badest car on the road. Darn! I am fortunate, (due to my job) I get to grab some good info from the Ford crew. So I am very happy to be a part of the forum, and I hope I can learn and maybe pass on some good info as well. Happy Marauding!

Aaron

MarauderMike
07-26-2002, 07:40 PM
I had a chance to see the concept convertible at the recent IMOA show in Belleville, MI. It looks even better in person that the pictures show it to be. If they build it, someway I'll find a way to be there!!!

Fourth Horseman
07-27-2002, 01:12 AM
A performance chip direct from Ford, eh? That's interesting. Sorta makes you wonder why they didn't just put that chip in the car to begin with.

Any word on when this chip will be available or how much it'll cost?

I'd love to get some comparisons to the Reinhart Automotive chip before I buy. I have to say, though, that having the chip custom programmed for my car's setup really makes the Reinhart chip more attractive. Especially in light of Logan's good results.

VaderSS
07-27-2002, 10:01 AM
Sorta makes you wonder why they didn't just put that chip in the car to begin with.

I hesitate to say it, as it is a four leter word... well acronym.

CAFE

Romo53
07-27-2002, 11:33 AM
No word on when this chip will be out....but I'm naggin quite often. Like anything else with motorsport parts, I'm sure it will be expensive. That's probably why they did not put the thing on there to begin with.

VaderSS
07-27-2002, 04:07 PM
I'm sure it will be expensive. That's probably why they did not put the thing on there to begin with.

It costs the factory no more to program for more power. Same thing with 4.10 gears. Gears are going in, it costs the same whether 4.10 or 3.55, but the car was designed from the onset to not break into the gas guzzler territory. They gave it all the performance they could without doing that. That is why you don't get 4.10s and the optimized programming from the factory.

The upcoming Pontiac GTO will come optimized already. The price of that optimization? $5000 in gas guzzler tax. The car will be enforced low volume, so CAFE impact will be minimal. So it is really not that bad, that Mercury left it up to the owner, to say, "Forget CAFE, forget mileage, I want performance!"

Dennis Reinhart
07-28-2002, 12:37 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this is what I have been told, Ford will never offer a chip for any car, period. They have never in the past. The convertible is dead, has been for a few months and the supercharged car, if it happens, will be August of 2004, and I give it less than 50/50 that it really happens. I hope it does if not I am trying to market a kit as soon as I can get a car.

MadMav
07-30-2002, 07:35 AM
The GTO will not fall under the gass guzzler catagory. Just trust me!

Mav

Logan
07-30-2002, 08:58 AM
There have already been press releases indicating GTO will be a gas guzzler taxed vehicle... Awww geez, now I gotta go find em again.. :)

It'd be better if it wasn't though, that's one thing everyone can agree on.